Need help with potato cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My Dad used to take leftover mashed potatoes, add chopped onion, pepper, and an egg, mix it together, and pan fry into potato cakes that I used to love, with crispy edges, and a bit of ketchup on top. I have tried to duplicate them without much success. The potatoes are too loosse, and fall apart when trying to flip them, or they brown too much before being done enough to flip. And getting that magical texture is not something I have been able to achieve.

If anyone can share their tried and true potato-cake recipe, and technique for making them, on the stove- top, in the oven, or under the broiler (whatever works), I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My mom used to make potato pancakes and added a little flour to the potato/egg mixture, and fried them up in a skillet. We loved them. I haven't made them in years, but I bet a little flour would hold them together nicely, chief.

My mom used to make potato pancakes and added a little flour to the potato/egg mixture, and fried them up in a skillet. We loved them. I haven't made them in years, but I bet a little flour would hold them together nicely, chief.

++1 flour, let set for fifteen minutes so the flour has time to get gooey!

My Dad used to take leftover mashed potatoes, add chopped onion, pepper, and an egg, mix it together, and pan fry into potato cakes that I used to love, with crispy edges, and a bit of ketchup on top. I have tried to duplicate them without much success. The potatoes are too loosse, and fall apart when trying to flip them, or they brown too much before being done enough to flip. And getting that magical texture is not something I have been able to achieve.

If anyone can share their tried and true potato-cake recipe, and technique for making them, on the stove- top, in the oven, or under the broiler (whatever works), I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You can also add some gram flour for more taste..

Neither my dad or younger bro like onion. We had plain potato patties, which I still make and they turn out good. SO has never liked potato patties and refuses to use a microwave. Her leftover portion is plopped in a double boiler with a pat of butter on top, covered until heated. Hers are better if there is leftover gravy, mine are just fine with a squirt of catsup,

Take cold mashed potatoes from the frig. Form patties. Dredge ever so lightly in flour. Melt butter in a skillet until it foams Add patties and fry until bottom crisps and browns, about 3 minutes ( never timed, so it's a guess). Flip, add a little more butter if needed. Cook other side until crispy.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'll be trying your suggestions tonight.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
We used to make these all the time in Germany. I don't remember the egg, but we did add one-two grated raw potatoes, depending on how many left-over mashed potatoes we had. We would form them and let them sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.

I just use leftover mashies with a little flour and an abundance of salt and pepper worked into the mashies, form into a ball, roll in flour, then flatten and pan fry in butter and a little vege oil.

My mother used an egg and I did too for a long time, but then ran out of eggs once so had to make them without, and we liked the texture and taste without the egg much better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom