Now I understand why they're called "Basic techniques"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niquejim

Senior Cook
The other day I slow braised a brisket in beef stock with cilantro, 1 each dried ancho, guajillo, New Mexico, chipotle peppers and onions. I shredded the meat, reduced the sauce and made some chalupas and refried beans. Three weeks ago I did the same with a pork butt and while this may be heresy I believe both of these can be better braised in the oven than done on the smoker.
I've only been seriously cooking for 1 year now but this made me realize why they are called basic techniques...They work;)

I'm not comparing it to BBQ for the flavor of BBQ, but it would be virtually impossible for you to get that intense chili flavor all the way through the meat on the smoker (I love the smoker by the way and have been using that for years).
The texture was not even close to mushy( which is what all my grilling friends said it would be), it was simply very tender and very juicy, kind of "a sublime texture with the perfect amount of "chew".

Funny you should post that this evening. I was thinking something similiar when I was making pancakes for dinner...how important the basic techniques are, like "the muffin method" or "the creaming method", and how they are used in SO MANY different things.

I'm stuffed from tacos and beans&rice and reading about that brisket is making me hungry again.

Got a recipe with specific measurements? Sounds wonderful for later this week.

Back
Top Bottom