Proper Fat for Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GPOE

Assistant Cook
Weird question but I really like crispy pancakes. I suppose the texture I prefer most is actually Cracker Barrel.

What fat is best suited to obtain this texture? Butter? Oil? Crisco? Smart Balance/Country Crock type spread?

Thanks for your input.

Geoff

I'm not sure what fat is best to use, but I like to use bacon grease. Crispy texture on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. What kind of pancake mix are you using by chance? Or perhaps you are making your own?

Welcome to DC!

I'm not sure what fat is best to use, but I like to use bacon grease. Crispy texture on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. What kind of pancake mix are you using by chance? Or perhaps you are making your own?

Welcome to DC!

Thanks for the kind welcome. I've actually been lurking around for a while just reading up.

I've used several mixes but Alton Brown has an "instant mix" that I think I'm going to try next.

Can you recommend a good one?

Geoff

Welcome to DC. I could not imagine making pancakes without butter. The sometime come out crisp, but I'm thinking I have they heat on perfectly on those days.

Welcome to DC. I could not imagine making pancakes without butter. The sometime come out crisp, but I'm thinking I have they heat on perfectly on those days.

Can't beat butter :). Most recipes call for wiping the excess fat out of the pan. I'm thinking of cooking with more fat to almost fry them. What do you think.

I think any oil that you use would do that if you use more oil instead of just having bottom of the pan sprayd or lightly wiped with oil. I hope I'm making my self clear.

Thanks for the kind welcome. I've actually been lurking around for a while just reading up.

I've used several mixes but Alton Brown has an "instant mix" that I think I'm going to try next.

Can you recommend a good one?

Geoff

I have tried the Alton Brown mix as well. I was not that impressed with it. But that is me and that was my first attempt at making his recipe. Most of the mix went to waste as the shelf life that Alton states is 3 months. I guess I don't eat enough pancakes!

Can't beat butter :). Most recipes call for wiping the excess fat out of the pan. I'm thinking of cooking with more fat to almost fry them. What do you think.

It could work with crisco I guess.

it sounds like i need to do an experiment. I'll try using the same batter with these different fats and I'll report back which one I like the best. Thanks!

For good frying.. Crisco ... Is Swift'ning still on the market shelves? Man that stuff was great!!!!!

Welcome to DC! I'm with Sattie, I like to use bacon fat. If I don't have any, then it's butter with a bit of OO to keep it from burning.

I'm still using raw coconut oil. Higher temp=crispier pancake. And I make from scratch...whole wheat flour, unbleached white flour, double-acting baking powder, salt, buttermilk and egg. Whisk lightly, leave some small lumps. Let the batter stand while the pan heats. If the batter starts to rise you get lighter pancakes. Top w/butter and maple syrple! mmmmmmmm-m!

I'm still using raw coconut oil. Higher temp=crispier pancake. And I make from scratch...whole wheat flour, unbleached white flour, double-acting baking powder, salt, buttermilk and egg. Whisk lightly, leave some small lumps. Let the batter stand while the pan heats. If the batter starts to rise you get lighter pancakes. Top w/butter and maple syrple! mmmmmmmm-m!

Coconut oil??? Wow.... that sounds great!!! Care to share your pancake recipe with me? Or at least the measurements?

I'd probably give clarified butter a shot. That would probably give you both good buttery taste and a higher cooking temp for a crispy texture.

Coconut oil??? Wow.... that sounds great!!! Care to share your pancake recipe with me? Or at least the measurements?

OK, it's simple, pretty old-school. 2/3 c. whole wheat flour, 1/3 c. unbleached white flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. double-acting baking powder (I use Rumsford), and whisk all dry ingredients together. If you want fiber, substitute 1/3 c. quick oats for 1/3 c. of the whole wheat flour. Add one egg and buttermilk to texture. Whisk lightly, leave some small lumps. Let the batter sit for a few minutes to begin rising while the oil heats. I usually check the oil by flicking a couple of drops of water into the pan. If the water drops "bounce", it's ready. Should make about six nice pancakes. I top with maple syrup and plugra, European-style butter, or more raw coconut oil. It has a lighter flavor than butter, not as rich, but fruity. I also add about 1/2 tsp. oil to the pan for each new pancake, because I like to cook them hot enough to fry the surface, not just bake the inside. This is a very basic recipe...dress it up any way you like.

Back
Top Bottom