Question about a term... (mise en place)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emeril has staff of 15 people in the kitchen preping, cooking, and seeing to it that his set is properly set up with all the utensils, cookware, bowls, etc. that he will need to do all of the dishes presented on any given show. You can see him prepare a dish on the show, but he will almost always pull one out of the oven that was prepared by his staff beforehand. This is true not only of Emeril but some of the other big name TV chefs.
That's TV.

Yes, I am sure he has (had) more than the 4 or 5 he routinely showed on "some" of the shows I saw. Of the shows I saw, he seemed to single the same people out, saying that they were responsible for doing his prep work. They probably had people under them and so on.... That group was also featured on one of his shows where he prepared a recipe from each one of them and they sat at the table. He could have people parking, too, his car for all I know. :rolleyes:

15 people for a cooking show? That`s a little ridiculous. When I started cooking we had 4 or 5 cooks per night to do 3 menus for over 200 people, and they need 15 to make a couple dishes and get it on camera? They don`t even serve anyone but themselves on these shows usually what the hell is the need for so many people!

15 people is probably his entire staff, lytle. i'd guess thatb only 5 or 6 were actually doing food prep, and the rest were assistants that had more to do with the production of the tv show.

hey, wait. the censor has been turned off. you said hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
15 people for a cooking show? That`s a little ridiculous. When I started cooking we had 4 or 5 cooks per night to do 3 menus for over 200 people, and they need 15 to make a couple dishes and get it on camera? They don`t even serve anyone but themselves on these shows usually what the hell is the need for so many people!

It takes that many to prep, peel, chop, blend, etc. all of the dishes that are pre-made. They also set up the set so that he has what he needs at this fingertips. They also cook for the studio audience. My point is that people like Emeril don't do their own prepping on camera. You will often see him chop or prep food, but for the most part most of it is done off camera.
And everything has to come out looking good.

You are comparing a restaurant to a cooking show. The two do not have a direct correlation. For one dish in a cooking show they will often prepare it many times and pick the best looking end result. Just because they are making a roast chicken does not mean that only one will be made. They may also prepare the dish in different stages of completion. At a restaurant if someone orders a dish it gets made once. On a cooking show for one dish it is made a lot more than once.

It takes that many to prep, peel, chop, blend, etc. all of the dishes that are pre-made. They also set up the set so that he has what he needs at this fingertips. They also cook for the studio audience. .

dramaqueen, have you worked in tv, or have been behind the scenes or in the audience for any shows?

It takes that many to prep, peel, chop, blend, etc. all of the dishes that are pre-made. They also set up the set so that he has what he needs at this fingertips. They also cook for the studio audience.
Haha it doesnt take that many people to do all that, that takes 4 or 5 people, less if they`re really good cooks. And not all the celebrity chefs have a studio audience for their show either.
My point is that people like Emeril don't do their own prepping on camera. You will often see him chop or prep food, but for the most part most of it is done off camera.
And everything has to come out looking good.
I wasnt trying to take anything away from the point, was just saying its ridiculous if theres that many people. I could see if it included cameramen and stagehands to handle the setting and audience, not just the cooking, cleaning and taking care of the kitchen and setting up for the chef. And everything has to come out looking good in fine dining, too.
You are comparing a restaurant to a cooking show. The two do not have a direct correlation. For one dish in a cooking show they will often prepare it many times and pick the best looking end result. Just because they are making a roast chicken does not mean that only one will be made. They may also prepare the dish in different stages of completion. At a restaurant if someone orders a dish it gets made once. On a cooking show for one dish it is made a lot more than once.
I know theyre obviously not the same, but it still don`t take 15 people. TV cooking is probably a lot more relaxed and slow paced than restaurant cooking. And that`s easier anyway, cause in a restaurant youre right, you make the dish once... for one person, then gotta make it again for the next person who orders it, and again after that for the next person who orders it. It`s not like you cook one big roast chicken and serve it to everyone, unless it`s a function. Functions are a breeze (usually). Not to mention the fact that there`s many items on a menu, and often many menus in a kitchen, not just one different thing every day unless it`s a California style menu.

And if like what was said above there`s a studio audience eating as well, my guess is they`ll just get plated the ones that ``aren`t the best looking ones`` that were also prepared because its not appearing on camera and once something is plated you can often cover up inconsistencies in the appearance of a main part of a dish anyway.

You know what, if you guys are right maybe I`ll take a different path with this career after all. I could slack off all day on a TV set, sounds more fun than busting my *** in a real kitchen.

Hey, I don't make the rules and I don't hire the people to work the TV kitchens. I'm just telling you what I know. I'm sorry I brought the whole thing up. Let's move on.

You shared what you knew so I shared what I thought, thats all. Expect me to reply when quoted or 5 people reply to a one sentence comment like was the case here... not trying to argue, just sharing my thoughts.

Me thinks the best way to settle this is to turn it into a joke -
How many prep cooks does it take to run a TV show? :LOL:

Now, back to mise en place. I found these great little metal bowls at a kitchen store the other day that come in a set of 8 and they are perfect for organizing your ingredients. I bought two sets (they were on for $2.50 per set). Couldn't believe the price! Now to get myself using them!

Me thinks the best way to settle this is to turn it into a joke -
How many prep cooks does it take to run a TV show? :LOL:

Now, back to mise en place. I found these great little metal bowls at a kitchen store the other day that come in a set of 8 and they are perfect for organizing your ingredients. I bought two sets (they were on for $2.50 per set). Couldn't believe the price! Now to get myself using them!

I use paper bowls. I get them from Costco. I think there's about 2 million of them in a package for just a couple of bucks. I haven't run out in a year. :)

group-hug.jpg

dramaqueen, just to beat a dead horse, i'm still not sure how you "know" about tv chefs.

here's a good description of how emeril's show worked during it's heyday in '06: No Bam, No Garlic, But Emeril Entertains :: Cable360

there were "several" prep cooks, but the rest were assistants that served and cleaned up.

"For the most part, a taping of Emeril Live is very similar to watching the show at home, with 2 exceptions. The breaks are filled with activity, involving several Food staffers preparing for the next segment, others cutting up and distributing the food just prepared, another wiping down the kitchen counter, security personnel milling about and of course techs."

As your article pointed out, prep cooks are doing Emeril's job and that was the point I was making. Why are you beating this to death? I will answer your question then I'm through. A few years ago, when Emeril was in his heyday, there was a one hour special on TV showing the "behind the scenes" look at how his show is produced. It was not only informative but surprising in many ways. One of the magazines I subscribe to, not sure which one, also did a long article on what really goes on in the kitchens of the Food Network, and the point of the article was that the TV chefs really do very little of the work themselves.
As for Rachel Ray, I realize she does the work right there, but it never shows you who washes the veggies and cuts the "woody" ends off of the asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, etc. Ever notice she never does either one of those tasks? They also set up her cooking equipment, pantry, and refrigerator.

I can only tell you what I learned from both the TV show and the magazine article. Why is this so important to you? Why are you doubting what I said. Would I lie to you? :rolleyes: PLEASE, LET'S MOVE ON. I have to get back to staring at Jeekinz "group hug" picture.

Rachel says she washes all her veggies when she gets home from the store so they are ready to use. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :angel: I'm sure she isn't setting up her TV kitchen herself. Her mise en place is seeing how much she can carry in one trip :LOL:

dramaqueen, you made a point that lytle (and i, i'm sure others) did not believe, about there being 15 behind the scene cooks. i agreed with lytle that there were not 15 prep cooks, but other staff. you then replied that you "knew" this, and i simply asked you how you knew, which you ignored.

i assumed that you had either worked in tv, as i do, or had seen this first hand. you never know how things are done behind the magic curtains of television.
it turns out pacanis was right. about the holiday inn... ;)

no sweat, though. i was just curious. enough drama for one day. well, for me, anyway.

moving on...

dramaqueen, you made a point that lytle (and i, i'm sure others) did not believe, about there being 15 behind the scene cooks. i agreed with lytle that there were not 15 prep cooks, but other staff. you then replied that you "knew" this, and i simply asked you how you knew, which you ignored.

moving on...

I already explained to you how I "knew." If you can't believe what you see and none of what you read, what's the point of getting any info on any subject?
You don't have to have first hand experience to learn about a particular subject. I'm not saying they were all actually cooking, but the article and show led me to believe that they all were doing the cooking which included washing, sorting, chopping, blending, mixing and actuall cooking of the several dishes prepared on any given show. That didn't seem to include those that set up the set itself. Maybe the cooks doubled as "gofers, " who knows? I can't get to wrapped up in that subject and I think the rest of the readers here are falling asleep. :LOL:

Rachel says she washes all her veggies when she gets home from the store so they are ready to use. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :angel: I'm sure she isn't setting up her TV kitchen herself. Her mise en place is seeing how much she can carry in one trip :LOL:

You're so funny. :LOL: Maybe that's how she is able to do dinner in 30 minutes. :)

I already explained to you how I "knew." If you can't believe what you see and none of what you read, what's the point of getting any info on any subject?
You don't have to have first hand experience to learn about a particular subject. I'm not saying they were all actually cooking, but the article and show led me to believe that they all were doing the cooking which included washing, sorting, chopping, blending, mixing and actuall cooking of the several dishes prepared on any given show. That didn't seem to include those that set up the set itself. Maybe the cooks doubled as "gofers, " who knows? I can't get to wrapped up in that subject and I think the rest of the readers here are falling asleep. :LOL:

Actually, DQ, I had the same question as BT did about the source of your information, until you explained in a later post about the special you saw and the magazine article you read. So, there is at least one other of us who is interested.

I went to see Emeril Live in NYC last year, and the audience could see who was behind the set. I saw maybe 4 people, tops. Perhaps there were others somewhere else.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom