Question about baking pie shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
For pies that you fill and bake they say not to prick the bottom and sides. And for the ones you bake and fill later,you do prick the bottom. Well, what do you do for the ones that you pre bake and fill and finish baking after fill? THX.

pie shells

if i put holes in the bottom of the pie shell and sides while it is baking then take it out and fill with filling and back in oven to finish baking,would the filling seep out in the holes? some say put a egg wash on over the holes while baking , but wouldnt that seal up the holes that let the steam out?

pie shells

I will re word what i am asking. After docking bottom crust of pie shell,I am suppose to put a egg wash on the crust to keep from getting soggy. But when do i put the wash on? Do i dock it than eggg wash and than bake it (only suppose to 1/2 bake the shell,after filling in then finish the baking) or dock it and bake than add egg wash after its 1/2 baked?

Egg wash and then do your 1/2 bake. That will help seal the crust so the good stuff doesn't seep through when you do the second bake with the filled crust.

pie shell

if i dock the crust and put the egg wash on and bake it,wouldnt the egg wash stop the docking holes from steaming?

Not unless you saturate it with egg. If you just brush a light coat over the pie shell it will work just fine. =)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom