Question about minced garlic in pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AstraeaLunaAvani

Assistant Cook
I love pasta and I love garlic and putting them together is one of my favorite things to do, but I have a problem with getting the garlic to stick to the pasta. When I'm done eating, about half of the garlic I used is all laying on the bottom of my bowl. Is there a trick to getting it to actually stick to anything? I use one of those fancy garlic mincers that chops it up real tiny but apparently the chunks are still too big because they fall right through my food!

Keeping Garlic on Pasta

I love pasta and I love garlic and putting them together is one of my favorite things to do, but I have a problem with getting the garlic to stick to the pasta. When I'm done eating, about half of the garlic I used is all laying on the bottom of my bowl. Is there a trick to getting it to actually stick to anything? I use one of those fancy garlic mincers that chops it up real tiny but apparently the chunks are still too big because they fall right through my food!
That does seem to be a problem sometimes! I don't have that problem as much when I make creamy type sauces. I also make a thickened garlic butter sauce with seafood and linguine or fetuccine. I use butter, garlic, appropriate seasonings, seafood stock or clam broth and thicken it up with a little cornstarch slurry! That may be one way to solve your problem.

I've actually never made sauces before, I'm not that advanced yet! :LOL: I do have some garlic flavored olive oil but I like using the real thing, I like seeing it IN my food. I have just never made sauces before because it seems fatty to use anything creamy. I have lost my taste for alfredo sauce and since then I have tried to keep my pasta as healthy and light as possible. But I will try a creamy sauce next time, I'll have to research and find a recipe for one that will go good with how I like to make it!

THANKS! :)

Once you have crushed your garlic, smooth into a paste between the knife and chopping board. I don't know if that's any help!?!! :)

Ditto. I use a little salt when making garlic paste, also.

I don't know if there's anything the OP can do to make garlic stick to pasta in an oil based sauce. I know what they are talking about, the flavor is there, but it stinks to see those little bits of garlic sitting at the bottom when the pasta is all gone. That's what bread is for I guess.

Yeah, I think the primary purpose in oil based sauces and garlic is to flavour the oil. I agree with those above who suggested making a paste if you want the actual bulk to stick in it- otherwise, you either need a different sauce OR a differently shaped pasta that will catch the garlic (bow-tie, or other lipped type pastas). Note that the amount of chopping and/or crushing you do directly effects the strength of garlic flavour/smell: likewise, the more you cook it, the more that strength is eased off, too. It's a chemical reaction issue- cutting or crushing garlic causes more of the compounds that make garlic so pungent and yet also flavourful.

This explains why some recipes call for you to peel the garlic but leave it whole, and saute it- others, ask you to crush the clove (often done by putting the flat of your chef's knife on it and smacking it firmly with the heel of your hand), others ask you to roughly chop it, others mince it, and... most strong of all... making it into a paste or using a garlic press, which yields the most. However, once you begin to cook it, this begins to moderate the spicey strength of garlic... the more you cook it, the less potent it gets, though as many will tell you, even though you can easily eat well roasted whole garlic cloves, you'd best get your companions to eat it as well if you do not want to drive them off. Where you breathe on them or not, it will be secreted through the pores of your skin!

So keep this in mind, if you use a garlic paste- you're going to get more "bang for your buck" so to speak, as opposed to chopped or finely chopped garlic, or even minced garlic.

Hope the extra details help!

-Coro

Back
Top Bottom