Rule of thumb for salt use? Is there one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a very interesting and ON TOPIC discussion, check out this article:

http://www.fastcasual.com/article.php?id=18094

It is a much more difficult transition than the Trans fat reductions were. Food science gave us many acceptable solutions and there were not many variables. Salt is so subjective, all of the points made were valid. It depends what you’re serving with the item and who your serving it to. So how do you get a constant variable? Slash salt altogether and let the end user add it? Do that and everything will taste like crap and you won’t sell crap. The 5 year plan works but thats not the issue.

It's the same issue brough up around the helmet and seatbelt laws. When does the government have the right to protect us, in spite of us?

I think it is fundamentally incorrect to not salt/season food. Salt(sodium), like fats/carbs, is part of a balanced diet. It, like everything, should be used in moderation.

Well I am basing my chicken stock/salt comment on what is taught in culinary school when teaching how salt enhances flavors. Many culinary schools will put out cups of chicken stock with zero salt to lots of salt and everywhere in between and the students then taste each one from least to most salty to see what the salt actually does.

...I may have misunderstood? I didn't see anything in his question about salt bringing out flavours:

When it comes to salt bringing out flavours, a better option would be to do some research on spices, and what flavours each spice compliments. It's better for [most people's] health to use as little salt as possible at all times. Everything is okay in moderation, but sodium should be taken into the body in the smaller end of moderation... A pinch here and there is always good to add a little "extra something", but any more than that and you're tasting more salt than food.

Although the OP never used the word flavor, it's why you salt food. The interest is in how salt effects the flavor of food.

Using other seasonings is a good idea. Each adds a distinctive flavor. However, it doesn't address the OP's question, which is about salt.

Water isn't food so it's irrelevant to the question as well.

Okay sweet, more people attack me. Jeeze. Must be a boring day for a few of you.
Most people would simply just brush off an idea they don't like, but instead a handful of you attack my suggestions. You're all great. Great crowd in here. Some nice people on this website...
Have a pleasant afternoon!

appologies for having a suggestion or an opinion/tip that has worked for me in the past.
God forbid I, who has not gone to culinary school, has any input. JEEZE. :mad::rolleyes:

WOW I have no idea where any of this is coming from nikki. A question was asked and a conversation was started. I was participating in that conversation. Who is getting defensive? It is not me. Perhaps you should look at yourself. Just because you do not agree with what I said is no reason to personally attack me.

WOW I have no idea where any of this is coming from nikki. A question was asked and a conversation was started. I was participating in that conversation. Who is getting defensive? It is not me. Perhaps you should look at yourself. Just because you do not agree with what I said is no reason to personally attack me.
Pot calling the kettle black, you were the one that attacked my suggestions.
Have a nice day, please stop responding to my comments.

Just how did I attack your suggestions. I merely pointed out that I thought the OP was asking something other than what you were answering. I was not the one making it personal as you did (Saying I must be bored?). Care to point out where I made it personal???

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder and I have no idea why.

Just how did I attack your suggestions. I merely pointed out that I thought the OP was asking something other than what you were answering. I was not the one making it personal as you did (Saying I must be bored?). Care to point out where I made it personal???

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder and I have no idea why.
Not that I should have to dignify any of this with a response...

But what did it matter to you how my answer did or didn't fully answer what the OP was asking? That's for the OP to decide. If he didn't like my suggestion, he can obviously ignore it which is fine by me, I often ignore suggestions that don't suit me. I was answering the question as I saw it, and providing (and I repeat myself) my suggestion/tip that I've used in the past.

Maybe the one with the chip on their shoulder is the one who feels the need to tell other posters that their comment is irrelevant. That's not exactly your position as a fellow poster, now is it... Considering it wasn't you that asked the question, correct? I'm just saying.

And yes, I say you must be bored, because you feel the need to spend time pointing out other people's responses to something, and trying to "prove them wrong", when it wasn't even directed at you.

Do I have to repeat? All I was posting was my tried-and-tested method for what he was asking. I was not posting a debate or anything of the sort. Just because my suggestion was not the same as everyone elses (re: yours), does not mean it has to be called out and picked apart, and then have some comment about what is taught in culinary school. (That was slightly stuck up.)

I'm not going to indulge this any further following this response, because I feel like a broken record.

Julio, you seem to have the answers you need. I'm going to just shut this down for a while til tempers settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom