Scoring skin & shaoxing rice wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afton

Assistant Cook
Hello all I'm new here :)
I'm referring to Pork belly and szechuan salt and pepper recipe.
In the ingredients, it is said "800g pork belly, skin scored".
The term that I don't understand is "skin scored".
What does it mean by that?

Also is there any brand recommendation for shaoxing rice wine?

I cut through the skin, not deep enough to cut the meat, in a cross hatch pattern. Pork belly is on sale here this week, so will buy some tomorrow. Sorry I can't help with the rice wine, but would love to hear what recipe your making. Welcome to DC!!:)

I am curious what kind of dish you are preparing. If you don't mind, tell us more, maybe I can find the clue.

For Shaoxing rice wine, it is also called HuaDiao wine. You can find it in oriental store or Chinese store, it is sort of brownish or yellowish. Actually, you can use red wine as substitute.

I am curious what kind of dish you are preparing. If you don't mind, tell us more, maybe I can find the clue.

For Shaoxing rice wine, it is also called HuaDiao wine. You can find it in oriental store or Chinese store, it is sort of brownish or yellowish. Actually, you can use red wine as substitute.

I was going to post the URL but I'm unable to do it yet since I'm new,
here is the recipe:
----------------------------------------------
Ingredients:
  • 800g pork belly, skin scored
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
  • 1 knob ginger, peeled and sliced
  • 150ml soy sauce
  • 100ml shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
  • 2 brown onions
  • 2tbsp szechuan pepper
  • 1tbsp sea salt
  • 1 lemon, cut into quarters
Method

Place the pork, garlic, ginger, soy and wine in a bowl, cover and place in fridge to marinate for about six hours or overnight. If possible, turn the pork over a few times. Preheat oven to 200C. Cut the unpeeled onions in half and place on a baking tray skin side up. Place pork on top skin side up and bake in the oven for an hour or until cooked through and a deep golden brown. Rest 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, dry-fry or place the szechuan pepper in the oven for two minutes to release aroma (see tip).
Then grind to a fine powder with the sea salt in a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle. Place in a dish. Serve slices of pork with lemon and szechuan salt and pepper.

Serves 4

----------------------------------------------

When I went to supermarket today I couldn't find a pork belly,
I couldn't figure out why a big supermarket isn't stocking such a common
meat cut. So after paying for my groceries, I ask a butcher shop
in front of the supermarket, it turned out that pork belly's other name
is spare ribs! Gah, I'm such a newbie :huh:

Afton, I agree with Andy M, pork belly and spare rib are different. The reason the recipe requires pork belly is because this part of pork meat is fatty, and its structure is formed by white fat and pinky muscle layer by layer. It can keep juicy after stewed or baked.

Scoring the skin of pork is to avoid the skin cracking during baked :angel:

Would pork jowl bacon serve the same purpose? it usually comes with the skin on.

Back
Top Bottom