Searing Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always wonder about these charts. I have safflower oil but is it refined? Is it possible I'm not getting the hottest temp. possible before smoke? I guess I would need to measure the heat of the pan and compare to the chart. Some olive oils have high smoke points but this has never been my experience.

I always wonder about these charts. I have safflower oil but is it refined? Is it possible I'm not getting the hottest temp. possible before smoke? I guess I would need to measure the heat of the pan and compare to the chart. Some olive oils have high smoke points but this has never been my experience.

You're right...anyone can post anything on the internet and it is not necessarily true. I also don't know the difference between refined or unrefined. I just naturally assume that any oil I buy is refined.

I imagine most are refined or the oil wouldn't look so clean/clear. Question is what process they use and how it affects the oil. This assume manufacturers would share that info with us, lol.

I have found a wide variation in smoke point temperatures from website to website. I stick to a few basic oils.

1. Corn oil for baking and all basic frying where flavor isn't important. It's also good for high temp applications including deep frying.

2. Asian peanut oil for Asian foods and high temp applications. Asian peanut oil is my choice because it smells and tastes of peanuts. I prefer that to American peanut oils that are as bland as corn or canola.

3. Extra Virgin Olive Oils for some recipes that benefit from the flavor. I have a general use EVOO and a couple of better oils for salads and drizzling.

Many folks use canola but I sometimes get a whiff of fishy smell when using it so I switched.

I have been reading quite a bit about not exceeding the smoke point of the oil and all the negative effects that follow. However, this means reducing the heat. So, that's sort of where I've been stuck. Does anyone know how hot a pan can get? I realize this could vary quite a bit. Thanks.

If you use a cast iron skillet, you cannot overheat the pan. Ruth's Chris advertises that their steaks cook at 1800 degrees.

I use a CI skillet, no oil, and add the steak at the smoke point. Turn once when it releases. Finish in the oven in the same pan.

IMO, stainless does not get hot enough for proper searing.

If you bought it in a regular supermarket, chances are its refined.

It will say if its unrefined on the label.

Am I the ONLY person who sears a hunk of meat in a dry pan? Granted I do use oil if I'm searing chunks of floured-and-seasoned meat for a stew type dish, but when it's a roast I'll put it in a dry pan. A lovely crust ensues, and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

You are not alone. ;)

I like a screaming hot pan.
Toss in the meat and let go until it releases plus a little.
Flip & Repeat.

I don't finish in the oven but I like my steaks Black and Blue.

On the grill I set the grate as close to the coals as I can get it and do the same. :yum:

I do use a lower heat for chicken and a little higher temp oil.

Andy's suggestions for oil are good ones.

Hi all,

I've had some better luck turning the heat down just a tad and trying a few different oils. Thanks for all the advice!

Am I the ONLY person who sears a hunk of meat in a dry pan? Granted I do use oil if I'm searing chunks of floured-and-seasoned meat for a stew type dish, but when it's a roast I'll put it in a dry pan. A lovely crust ensues, and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

My Mom always fully seasoned her roast meats before she seared them. Of course I did it the same way when I first got married. I nearly choked to death from the dusty effect that seems to rise up from the pan. I put only a bit of salt on the meat before searing to give it that nice crust, but wait until I'm ready to put the pan in the oven or the lid on the dutch oven before adding the rest of my seasonings.

I seared in a dry pan today....worked well! I also season before I sear.

Back
Top Bottom