Share your cooking tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You start a lot of good topics!

My favorite hint is .... HAVE FUN... if you don't like what you're doing

it won't taste as good. Also add a tablespoon of LOVE to everything you cook! : )

prepare your mise en place

get ready...everything in its place, and mentally ready as well...know your recipe and the steps involved. then...GO!

pdswife said:
My favorite hint is .... HAVE FUN... if you don't like what you're doing it won't taste as good. Also add a tablespoon of LOVE to everything you cook! : )

That is a great advice Trish, you deserve a karma and then some for that!!:) (and overdosing of the love portion won't hurt anything either!!)

I would also say...
-keep a creative mind, don't be afraid to experiment!
-if the recipe gives you estimated time, allow yourself at least double of that time... they don't usually consider food chopping/slicing or "wash as you go routine" as a part of preparation!!
-once you get the hang of cooking in general, don't get too caught up with presice measurement of each ingredients... some people like it spicier, cheesier, garlickier, more buttery, or the other way around etc. etc.... (though in certain recipes like baking or ice cream making, it is safer to follow the instruction to a tee...)
-don't get demoralized if something goes awry once in a while... it happens to everyone!!

Robo410 said:
prepare your mise en place

get ready...everything in its place, and mentally ready as well...know your recipe and the steps involved. then...GO!

That has become very important to me since I've gotten so stove up. It really helps to get organized.
I have to do lots of things sitting at the counter. If I have vegies to chop, I put down a newspaper to catch scraps and get out my Rachel Ray garbage bowl, lined with a plastic grocery bag. I prep them for washing and throw into the colander, wash and let drain a minute, then put the colander on my counter with a towel underneath, and sit and chop at my leisure, putting the different ingredients on cheap paper plates. After the vegies are done, I prep my meats, then wash the cutting board right away so the bacteria don't have time to multiply.
It's amazing how fast and efficient the cooking will go after the prep work.

Another use for the cheap paper plates...they make a fine spoon rest. When you're done, just pitch in the garbage.

Here are some more ideas:
*Keep a bowl of soapy water in the sink and clean up as you go along, so you won't be faced with a sink full of dirty dishes and goo all over the kitchen.
*Keep a small bottle of Clorox under your kitchen sink for sanitizing cutting boards and the like. A capful in your soapy water will help kill the varmints.
*keep a supply of garbage bags in the bottom of your garbage cans, under the bag in use. Then all you have to do is take the full one out and pull a new one up.
*If you're cooking a pasta dish that calls for blanched vegies, throw the vegies in with the pasta during the last few minutes of cooking. It saves washing another pot.
*If you need to sweat onions or other vegetables for a dish that won't be cooked in the same pan, put in a glass measuring cup with lipid of your choice and cook in the microwave.
*Pre-cook your ground beef or sausage in the microwave. Use a bowl, and cover with a sheet of waxed paper to prevent splatters. Often, you can drain the meat and put right back in the same bowl with additional ingredients for finishing in the nuke or the oven.
*Cook enough meat to use for one or two more meals. For instance, if you're grilling chicken, make extra to be used for a different dish the next night.
*Utilize all your leftovers as much as possible. Some of your most creative cooking will come out of using what you have on hand.

And finally, echoing the above advice, enjoy yourself. Your cooking is an act of love for your friends and family.

:chef:

If possible don't do a big weekly shop (note: this does not apply to pantry staples and dry goods) in which you get all your fresh produce (including meat and seafood).

You don't know what your going to feel like 6 nights from now, so why buy all your produce forcing you to use it whether you want to or not (unless of course you have planned to do a certain dish on a certain night). Much better to cook according to your moods, and picking up what you feel like on the day helps this along.

No. 1 cooking tip: When the kids ask 'what's in it?', tell them to taste it first!

No. 2 cooking tip: Keep things basic until you know what you're doing. Then start fiddling and experimenting.

No 3 cooking tip: READ THE RECIPE through several times before starting on it. Reading it out aloud often helps you understand it better. Then gather all the ingredients, utensils and pans you need. Be organised.

No. 4 cooking tip: Never cook to please anyone else but yourself. If you can't eat it, don't expect anyone else to!!

Don't listen to people who say "you HAVE to do it this way" or "you ALWAYS need to do this when cooking x". Cooking is an art and while there are a lot of "rules" there are times when they can be broken. Experiment. What works for one person may not work from you and vise versa. Let your own experiences be your guide. If something works for you then go with it.

This is quickly going to be a frequently visited topic for me! I look forward to the excellent advice. Kudos for starting the topic! I'd give karma, but t'aint working right now, at least for me.

Constance, my dear, you are a wealth of knowledge just looking for an avenue to provide your expertise to any and all who will listen! Keep it up! I look forward to your posts! :cool: :chef:

GB and the others have wonderful advice as well. Don't want to leave them out!

I always prepare as much as I can before hand - prepare and measure out ingredients, get pans out, etc. I usesd to do this only when I had company, but since the birth of my son, dinnertime is his fussy time - therefore, if I want to cook dinner, it needs to be with him on my hip - everything is done except for the cooking while he is napping. Makes things much easier and faster.

That sounds corny....

pdswife said:
You start a lot of good topics!

My favorite hint is .... HAVE FUN... if you don't like what you're doing

it won't taste as good. Also add a tablespoon of LOVE to everything you cook! : )
....but truer words were never spoken. It not only applies to cooking, either. Thanks for the reminder.
For cooking tips, keep your knives very sharp to help prevent accidents. I think more people cut themselves with dull knives.
My wife and I both work. So, many times on Sunday we prepare the main course for several meals. It makes dinner much easier during the week.

Last edited:
My number one tip is "make it with love". If you don't use this special ingredient it won't come out as good. Secondly, use simplicity and foods you like but always keep an open mind to try new ones.

Michelemarie said:
...since the birth of my son, dinnertime is his fussy time - therefore, if I want to cook dinner, it needs to be with him on my hip...

That brings back memories, Michele. I cannot count the meals I ate with a baby on the breast. Do they still make those little wind-up swings? My little ones loved them.

Funny Constance, I nursed my son until he was a year old - when he was little, I planned dinner around nursing - so I could eat! I would lay him on a boppy (a fancy name for a hard pillow for babies) on my lap and he would nurse and I would eat - usually the only meal of the day! Normal babies like the swing, he didn't. He is now 19 months old but still very fussy at dinner time. So now I hold him in a sling while I prepare dinner. His favorite thing to do is play in the plastic play kitchen and cook on the stovetop with plastic pans and food! Future chef maybe?

I will have to agree and repeat mise en place - it can be crucial to the outcome of a dish. Note in the recipe those things that can be added at the same time and just throw them in one dish if possible.

Not so much a tip but an observation - most recipes with a big, huge list of ingredients usually aren't that bad. Most times it's a lot of spices/herbs, etc.

Cook something beyond what you think your knowledge is - you'll find out just how smart you are!!!

:) If you can make a big batch of things like beans,spaghetti sauce,soup,chicken wings and so on and freeze them that way you can have an almost instant meal when you really dont feel like cooking.There are alot of things that freeze well.Its a life saver for me as I live 45 miles from the nearest town and the food isn't that great anyway so there isn't going to be any take out,eating out or delivery out here.

I didn't see it mentioned before, but consider it very important - start with an empty dishwasher. It keeps everything so much neater and better organized to stash the dishes as soon as it is finished. Also have as much chopping, shredding, etc as possible done before starting to cook. Cooking goes much more smoothly if you don't have to stop and chop.

Back
Top Bottom