Smashing garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
when i am smashing garlic with the flat of a knife, almost never get it on first try. not strong enough in hands, i guess. was trying unsuccessfully to do it today. had a thought, use the meat pounder, flat side. wow, first time. i think i have hit on something here. how does everyone else do it?:chef:

I use a knife. I have seen Alton Brown on Good Eats use a small block of marble to smash the garlic. Bottom line is, use whatever works for you.

when i am smashing garlic with the flat of a knife, almost never get it on first try. not strong enough in hands, i guess. was trying unsuccessfully to do it today. had a thought, use the meat pounder, flat side. wow, first time. i think i have hit on something here. how does everyone else do it?:chef:
Good thinking out of the box! I agree with Andy, anything that works. I use the side of a knife.

Good idea using a meat mallet. I don't like using a chef's knife either - it doesn't flatten the garlic enough for me. I use a medium/small heavy-bottomed pot.

I use a dough scraper, also known as a bench knife, as it has a much larger surface.
But if you don't have anything conventional handy, lots of other things could be used to do the job, like the bottom of an unopened can (of tomatoes for example) or using the bottom of a side plate and press down on it.

The garlic press went the way of the horse and buggy.here.I use what's handy, a cleaver,chef knife,flat side of meat mallet What ever is handy
kades:)

I had a press also and had the same problem cleaning it so now I just use the side of a knife or a heavy pan. I have seen RR use a grater to grate garlic instead of chopping it, but I haven't tried that yet.

I had a press also and had the same problem cleaning it so now I just use the side of a knife or a heavy pan. I have seen RR use a grater to grate garlic instead of chopping it, but I haven't tried that yet.
I have, while a good idea I don't like grating my nails off. You can clean your press with a tooth pic they fit perfectly
kades

I have, while a good idea I don't like grating my nails off. You can clean your press with a tooth pic they fit perfectly
kades

Actually since I got rid of the press I have honed my knife skills and chopping is not a problem. I just crush it mostly to get the skins off easier these days.

I use either the side of my knife (I don't smack it with the knife, I place the knife on the clove, then pound it with my other fist), or if several to do, the old meat pounder, which has more weight behind it.

I can chop garlic faster with a knife then I can do it with the press. None of them reallyworks well, I've had a whole bunch of different ones. And it irealy is a pain to wash them.

I use a garlic press, it's the only way I can keep the stench off of my fingers.

I use a garlic press, it's the only way I can keep the stench off of my fingers.

Okay, I confess to sitting and smelling my fingers after I chop garlic, any fresh herbs and zesting lemons...I love the fresh smells.:w00t2:

I watched Martin Yan many years ago show his method. He used a meat cleaver, bang! and it was done!

I tried it and presto! It worked fine! Now, that is my method. 1. lay peeled garlic clove on cutting board. 2. Hold cleaver (it is heavy) sideways.
3. slam it down flat onto the garlic. 4. scrape mashed garlic into pan. 5. cook = enjoy!

That's what I do too. Except I don't bother to peel the clove first. After you smash it, the peel separates from the flesh very easily.

Back
Top Bottom