Smothered steak, assistance please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stallard

Assistant Cook
I have a pice of thin cut sirloin steak, which I intend to season, dredge, skillet sear and finsh cook in oinion gravy. Would it be adviseable to tenderize (hammer) the steak first ?

I agree that pounding it after dredging in egg wash and seasoned flour is the way to go. I use either this spring loaded veggie cutter that my granparents used when they were allive (1960's and 70's) or the heel of two knives so as to really break up the meat fibers. With Sirloin, you may not need to tenderize as much as with, say, a round steak, or brisket.

The flour should be seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We love this. To me the gravy is what makes it. Try onion/tomato gravy - yum! We use thin steak, cube steak, cube pork and most anything on sale. I sear it and then add it to the crock pot (with a liner) and cook for 4-5 hours. I never have tried tenderizing the meat. It usually is fall apart tender after its bath in the CP.

I have a pice of thin cut sirloin steak, which I intend to season, dredge, skillet sear and finsh cook in oinion gravy. Would it be adviseable to tenderize (hammer) the steak first ?
If your sirloin steak needs hammering you need to change your butcher (assuming sirloin in America is the same cut as in the UK).

How thin is thin? My dad used to think anything less than an inch thick steak was too thin.
That being said, I have found that if a steak is simmered in onion gravy, that might tenderize it like a Swiss steak.

Back
Top Bottom