Sous vide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gage

Senior Cook
# 1---Is anyone cooking sous vide at home ?
# 2---I understand the heater/circulator and upscale vacumn packer,but does one absolutely need flash freezing ??
Is sous vide being discussed elsewhere on this board ???

We have had a number of discussions on sous vide. I have never heard of flash freezing being part of the technique though.

Unless you have the proper equipment, which can be pretty pricy, it is generally not a good idea to do sous vide at home, at least that was the consensus that was reached in the other threads if memory serves.

# 1---Is anyone cooking sous vide at home ?
# 2---I understand the heater/circulator and upscale vacumn packer,but does one absolutely need flash freezing ??
Is sous vide being discussed elsewhere on this board ???

I'm in the middle of gathering the equipment. I bought a water bath a few months back but it was DOA, and I focused on other things for the spring and summer. I found a couple sources for things like the thermometers and tape. I can't decide whether to go the rice cooker/controller route or the immersion circ route. I read that there were decent results with readily available vaccuum sealers. You just cant have any air what so ever between the packaging and whatever you're cooking.

Don't think sous vide is all about meat and poultry, there's some killer veg recipes out there too. Eggs are cooked in their shell. As long as your cooking temps are monitored, it's perfectly safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom