Steaming a pyrex dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banann

Assistant Cook
I found a recipe to cook sweet (glutinous) rice by spreading the rice in a pyrex dish and steaming it over mediumn heat. Is steaming a pyrex possible? If so, what is the technique? Thanks!

First, before you attempt this recipe. Pyrex DOES NOT go on top of the stove. It is to be used in the oven or microwave. Having said that, there are some Pyrex-like products that are made by Corning that can be used on top of the stove. If your baking dish says "Pyrex" on it, use it only as I said first.

As for the rice, I can only surmise that the rice would be put in the pan with what other ingredients called for and would be covered tightly with foil. The foil would keep the moisture inside and would essentially produce steam, which would result in "steamed" rice. However, without knowing more about the recipe, I'm only guessing.

banann, to steam glutinous rice in a pyrex dish, use a stainless steel pot big enough to contain the dish. Fill a small bowl with water and put it inside the pot. Pour water until it reaches the top of the bowl. Put the pyrex on top of the bowl and cover tightly with aluminium foil. Cover the pot and turn the heat on high. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to steam the rice until it is cooked. Be sure to check the water level every now and then. Add boiling water up to the level of the bowl each time you replenish it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom