Storing vanilla beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christina1979

Assistant Cook
I just ordered a half pound bag of vanilla beans. I've read to wrap them in saran wrap or wax paper (loosely or tightly wrapped?) and place them in an air tight container to make sure they stay fresh. Is this correct? Any extra advice would be appreciated, i'm new to the vanilla world :) Oh also, I've heard you can reuse them over and over, once they're used in a liquid, how do you store them so that you're able to keep using them?

The seeds are what I've seen people using. I put a whole bean in with sugar to make vanilla sugar...2 beans to a quart of vodka to make vanilla-infused vodka. I've added more vodka to the bottle and it doesn't seem to matter. I keep them in a ziplock bag if I'm not using them. Which reminds me, I have three floating around here that I got from The Spice House in September...

Christina1979 said:
I just ordered a half pound bag of vanilla beans. I've read to wrap them in saran wrap or wax paper (loosely or tightly wrapped?) and place them in an air tight container to make sure they stay fresh. Is this correct? Any extra advice would be appreciated, i'm new to the vanilla world :) Oh also, I've heard you can reuse them over and over, once they're used in a liquid, how do you store them so that you're able to keep using them?

Welcome to DC!

Where did you find a half pound of vanilla beans to order? Sounds wonderful!

Penzey's has their VBs stored in alcohol, maybe rum or vodka in a small bottle. I used some of their Madagascar, and was surprised to find a whole VB in the bottle!

Last edited:
I found them on Amazon for less than $30. The company is Spice World.There's between 50-70 in bag. It's such a great deal! I plan to make my own vanilla extract, vanilla coffee, and vanilla sugar, etc. I also just started making my own homemade ice cream so i'll be using these over and over.

Welcome to DC! What kind of VB are they? I find the madagascar are a bit sticky and not ideal for adding to sugar to make vanilla sugar...those I put in vodka to infuse it, but I've been meaning to put one in a smaller bottle to make my own vanilla "extract".

The ones I bought are Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans. I read all the reviews and they were highly recommended. I just received them today and you could smell the vanilla through the packaging. I can't wait to use them!

This is correct. I wrap them in plastic wrap, and store them in an airtight jar. The instructions that came with them (I order from Beanilla), also said to air them out for about 15 minutes every now and then.

Amazon is an excellent place for beans. I bought a dozen Mexican vanilla beans a couple months ago to make extract. Madagascar seem to be less expensive than Mexican. I've used both and love them. I prefer Mexican slightly.

When I just need a couple beans, I go to World Market/Cost Plus they are usually $2.99 for 2 beans.

MERSTAR: I heard the same thing about airing them out every couple weeks for 10-15mins.

I've never heard of Mexican vanilla beans. I may have to try them next.

My vanilla beans make me want to rub them on my pulse spots! The store I got them from is $6.99 each OMG! I bought two of them and got home to see I was charged only .69 cents total. Now I'm too stingy to part with my beans. What should I do with them?

Tamileen said:
My vanilla beans make me want to rub them on my pulse spots! The store I got them from is $6.99 each OMG! I bought two of them and got home to see I was charged only .69 cents total. Now I'm too stingy to part with my beans. What should I do with them?

Do you bake a lot with vanilla extract? If so, you can use the beans to make your own extract. Google how to make it. It's pretty cool!

bakechef said:
That's OK, I'm a vanilla junkie. I sometimes open the big bottle of extract when I'm in the pantry and give it a sniff. :LOL:

Lol! I don't blame you! I just started using fresh VBs a few days ago. I'm officially addicted :) What is your favorite way to use Madagascar VBs?

bakechef said:
I mostly use them for extract, but love using them in ice cream and scraping the seeds into pastry cream.

Ooooh, I've never made pastry cream before. That sounds really good! Once you scrape the seeds, do you throw the pod away or reuse it? Do you use vodka for your extract?

I just started cooking again so i'm trying to get all the information I can get. I used to be intimidated by yeast, but now i'm baking my own breads and pizza crusts. I'm really enjoying it!

Ooooh, I've never made pastry cream before. That sounds really good! Once you scrape the seeds, do you throw the pod away or reuse it? Do you use vodka for your extract?

I just started cooking again so i'm trying to get all the information I can get. I used to be intimidated by yeast, but now i'm baking my own breads and pizza crusts. I'm really enjoying it!

I just pop the scraped pods into my extract bottle, the more pods in there the better! I usually make a pretty good sized bottle of extract, usually a 750 ml bottle.

I do use vodka, I like that it has no flavor and lets the vanilla flavor shine through.

You must use a lot of extract :) I bet it smells so good! I planned on using vodka for that exact reason for my extract. Do you use expensive or cheap vodka? I hope you don't mind all of my questions.

Back
Top Bottom