Sun dried tomato question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
When I buy sun dried tomatoes, they usually dry up really hard and I can't even re-hydrate them to usable. So, I thought I would get some sun dried tomatoes in oil. I looked at the ingredients and yuck: weird chemicals and too much salt.

Any suggestions? I don't use them that often. Should I put them in the freezer? Is it safe to put them in oil? I imagine they would be fine in oil, in the fridge, for a week or so, but would I be risking botulism if I left them longer?

I usually use the ones in oil. I give them a good rinse before using them. I Have bought large pails for restaurant use and leave them in oil in the fridge. They have been fine for weeks at a time.

I usually use the ones in oil. I give them a good rinse before using them. I Have bought large pails for restaurant use and leave them in oil in the fridge. They have been fine for weeks at a time.

That's probably because of the sulfites and/or other preservatives. I dislike the taste of sulfites.

Have you considered simmering the dried ones in water, with a bit of garlic and herbs, then keeping them in olive oil? The simmering should help rehydrate and soften them up. You can add your own seasonings to the oil also. Just a small batch at a time....?

I don't use dried tomatoes often but when I do, I just slice up a couple tomatoes nice and thick, remove the pulp and place them on an oiled pan at 200 degrees until they dry out, usually about 3-4 hours.

Seems to work okay.

You can keep SD tomatoes that come packed in oil safely. You CANNOT put dry SD tomatoes in oil and keep them more than 10 days safely.

As rock said, rinse or simmer before use.

The ones I bought today are nice and soft and don't need to be re-hydrated to be usable. It's after they have been sitting in my pantry that they become hard. I have tried simmering them, but they didn't get soft. The edges got mushy, but the rest was still hard. I also tried pouring boiling water on them and letting them stand. Same result: mush and hard.

I dehydrate my own. They last for a really long time.

Could you make powder out of the really dried tomatoes? Maybe run them through the FP or blender. It wouldn't have the texture, but would still have flavor.

Could you make powder out of the really dried tomatoes? Maybe run them through the FP or blender. It wouldn't have the texture, but would still have flavor.

Why not? That's actually a pretty goody idea. I don't think I've ever seen a jar of Dried Tomato Flakes in the cooking section.

I don't think so. They are more hard than dry.

How do you store your dehydrated tomatoes?

On second thought, maybe I could put them through the meat grinder.

I put them in ziplocks and freeze some, store some in the spice cabinet. I just checked, my spice cab home dried toms are all used up, but I found a pack of Mariani brand toms that are still pliable after a couple years. I should probably use them in something soon!

I put them in ziplocks and freeze some, store some in the spice cabinet. I just checked, my spice cab home dried toms are all used up, but I found a pack of Mariani brand toms that are still pliable after a couple years. I should probably use them in something soon!

I think I'll try freezing them. Are your store bought toms in an unopened bag? Mine come in a plastic tub and it doesn't seem all that air tight.

taxlady said:
I think I'll try freezing them. Are your store bought toms in an unopened bag? Mine come in a plastic tub and it doesn't seem all that air tight.

Ok, kids.

They also came in a zippy. If they're in a tub, I would transfer them into something airtight.

Sun dried tomatoes packed in oil have other spices. If you dry your own tomatoes it won't be equivalent unless you supply other spices.

I drain my oil packed sun dried tomatoes on paper towels before using. I discard the oil.

The recipes I make wouldn't be the same with sun dried tomato taste without the tomatoes themselves. Example, over pasta. Uniformity of taste is not a good thing or otherwise why not just run it all through your blender? Chicken or shrimp included. You need the sun dried tidbits to enhance the texture.

Sun dried tomatoes packed in oil have other spices. If you dry your own tomatoes it won't be equivalent unless you supply other spices.

I drain my oil packed sun dried tomatoes on paper towels before using. I discard the oil.

The recipes I make wouldn't be the same with sun dried tomato taste without the tomatoes themselves. Example, over pasta. Uniformity of taste is not a good thing or otherwise why not just run it all through your blender? Chicken or shrimp included. You need the sun dried tidbits to enhance the texture.

I have a recipe for http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/mushroom-stuffed-pork-tenderloin-71328.html#post986653 that also has sundried tomatoes and onions. It calls for chopping the sundried tomatoes and frying the mushrooms and onions in the tomato oil.

But the sun dried tomatoes are still tomato bits, right?

I use oil packed sun dried tomatoes in some of my cooking. I drain them. I haven't noticed any "sulfate" taste. Maybe I'm just coarse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom