Troubleshoot this recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Can you guys help me troubleshoot this recipe? I have a feeling I know what the solution is, but I am hoping for an alternative.

OK this is a meatloaf recipe. My problem is that the loaf did not hold together once it was cooked. I am guessing the answer is to add another egg, but I hate egg and would probably not make this recipe if it called for two of them. Any ideas?

Here is the recipe. The one part (not that I think it matters) that is not written here is that I ground my own meat (with a food processor, not grinder).

6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and broken
3 whole cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
18 ounces ground chuck
18 ounces ground sirloin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 egg

In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

For the glaze I used BBQ sauce and brushed that on about 15 minutes into the cooktime.

The flavor of the meatloaf was great and we really enjoyed it, but it did not hold together at all. What do you think? TIA.

Was it too wet? Maybe not enough bread, crackers, etc.

No it was not really wet at all. The end product crumbled when I tried to slice it. It was very moist (not dried out), but it certainly was not wet.

I'd have to eyeball it to make sure, but it seems like 6 oz of dried croutons are a lot of dry crumbs to be adding. Maybe cut down on the dried, or use fresh bread crumbs instead? Just looked at the recipe I use, and for 1 1/2 lbs (24 oz) of meat, it calls for 1 egg and 3/4 cup -fresh- breadcrumbs. I'm guessing the dried croutons sucked up too much of the moisture.

The other idea may be that you processed the veg mixture a little too much? (not questioning your technique, GB - just a thought!)

Last edited:
GB, just a thought, but could the meat have been too lean?

Only reason I ask is my FIL is famous for making venison sausage that's too lean, and they tend to crumble as well..

Just an idea.
John

Last edited:
Can you really taste the egg in that much of the other stuff? :shock: Wow. You must Really hate the egg. :) The way I see it you have too much meat for that little egg. If you really hate the unborn chicken that bad try to add some corn or potato starch, say a tablespoon or so to begin with.

I packed the meat firmly, but not too firm. I didn't want to squeeze the meat too much. Do you think I could have packed it in more?

At first when I read the recipe I thought 6oz sounded like a lot of breadcrumbs, but when I saw it in the bowl it did not look like a lot at all. Next time maybe I will try less.

The veg mixture was pretty chunky actually. There were still little pieces of carrot that you could pick up by spearing it with one of the tines of a fork.

To grind the meat I cut it up into chunks about 1.5-2 inches or so and working in small batches. I pulsed it in the food processor for about a second at a time for about 10 pulses.

ronjohn55 said:
GB, just a thought, but could the meat have been too lean?

Only reason I ask is my FIL is famous for making venison sausage that's too lean, and they tend to crumble as well..

Just an idea.
John
The sirloin was pretty lean, but the chuck has a good amount of fat. I actually used a little more of the chuck than the sirloin.

CharlieD said:
Can you really taste the egg in that much of the other stuff? :shock: Wow. You must Really hate the egg. :) The way I see it you have too much meat for that little egg. If you really hate the unborn chicken that bad try to add some corn or potato starch, say a tablespoon or so to begin with.
I am famous for being able to detect egg in things. Even the smallest amount. It really does not agree with me for some reason. My body screams bloody murder when egg is around :ohmy:

Hmm I had not thought of adding corn or potato starch. I could certainly give that a shot.

6oz would be about 3/4 of a cup.

Maybe try some tomato paste/ketchup instead of the egg, if you think you have enough bread.

Rainee said:
Maybe try some tomato paste/ketchup instead of the egg.
I will give that a shot or maybe I will mix in some of the BBQ sauce that I used as the glaze. Great idea!

GB said:
... I pulsed it in the food processor ...

I know some people will disagree with me, but in my book to grind meat in the food processor is simply wrong. The only way to do it is a meat grinder. But that’s just me.

GB:

Here's my $0.02 worth.

I use 2/3 cup of bread crumbs for a 2 pound meatloaf and one egg. A single egg should be adequate for up to 2 pounds.

I also process my veggies in the FP to a very fine grind to release their flavors and to make them disappear in the finished product.

The texture of the meat may have contributed to the problem. Store ground meat is fairly finely ground. The ten pulses routine AB uses seems to be too coarse for my liking.

In general, I think chunkier items won't stick together as well as finer textured items.

The suggestion for cornstarch or potato starch is what I would try.

Just my two cents worth :)

Sara

I would be very curious to hear about the results using corn starch. Somehow I don't think it would work. I would say that fresh bread crumbs mixed with the egg may be a better route. Or better yet use just egg whites....say from 3-4 eggs? Or 2 large eggs but not XL.

Just sitting and thinking......if you did a slurry of starch and water mixed with the crumbs and egg may work well...but a starch alone wouldn't work. It needs the water to work.

Let us know what happens:cool:

PolishedTopaz said:
.. It needs the water to work...

It really doesn't, there is plenty of mosture in the mixture. Plus, i'm not sugesting to remove the egg, i'm sugeting to add to existing mixture.

This is AB's recipe, which got pretty nice reviews.

I'm with Marm (again) in thinking that there may not be enough egg. That's a lot of meat for only one egg. Next time you make it, try whisking up two eggs and then adding 3/4 or so of that, so that it's 1 1/2 eggs. I might use more crumbs, too.

My second thought is .... it's bad to "overhandle" the meat when making meatloaf, but you do need to pack it in fairly firmly.

Third thought. You need to let the meatloaf "rest" for a while before cutting it or it will def. fall apart.

Fourth thought. The texture of meat broken down in a food processor will be different than regular store grind ... wondering if that made a diff. You'll only tell by using store bought or buying a grinder for your kitchenaid.

Use fresh bread cut into small cubes, or fresh breadcrumbs. Because the croutons are so dry, they will not soak up the moisture generated when you bake the meatloaf. Because of this, there is probably an abundance of moisture in the loaf, and it cannot bake up as firmly as you would like, which results in the crumbling.

An extra egg would help, as well as some cream when you mix the meatloaf mixture with the bread/breadcrumbs. Also, since you're only using one or even no eggs, you need to increase the amount of the binding ingredient (bread/breadcrumbs) in the meatloaf.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom