Using a melon baller...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VaporTrail

Senior Cook
Ok, I've rarely used these things, and when I have I always wind up with something closer to a hemisphere than a ball.

I know you don't use it like an ice-cream scoop across the surface(as it would just leave you with something that would unroll, if you got anything viable at all...).

Do I just get it in as deep as possible, cut the ball, and just yank it out through the fruit that's holding the baller and ball in? Seems like a waste....

Plan is to use it on apples... if it makes a difference. Peeled if that also makes a difference.

Last edited:
Don't go any farther below the surface of the melon than you have to to make a nice, round ball. Sure, there's a bit of waste, but the balls make a nice presentation in a fruit salad.

You can also use a melon baller to core an apple. Cut the apple in half longitudinally and use the melon baller to scoop out the core.

The key is in the name - use them on melons i.e., cantelope, watermelon, honeydew, papaya, ripe mango, etc (softer fruits). I have never used one on an apple though - unless it was to remove the core as mentioned but I usually just do that with a knife in one fell swoop. You don't want to scrape the surface like you mentioned but dig down (EDITED TO SAY: - dig might be the wrong word - gently scoop in a circular motion - let the utensil do the work for you) while you twist. And no, it won't be a perfect circle every time but certainly close enough. They also do well to core a pear since a pear is usually softer.

Last edited:
you can also use it on jelly for a pretty effect in a fruit salad and icecream dish.

As to the wasted bits - I scoop them all together and just eat that bit myself! Waste nothing then!

Back
Top Bottom