What cooking method yields tender chicken breasts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cook it in a ziplock bag. Season with salt and pepper and put it into a ziplock bag and cook in water that is a constant 80C - you need to check and adjust the temperature with ice if it goes above 80C - for 10-15 minutes. Rest the chicken in the bag for 10 minutes before serving (out of the water) I think this is called sous vide.

I tried it once and the chicken was unbelievable - even though the bag broke towards the end.

Cook it in a ziplock bag. Season with salt and pepper and put it into a ziplock bag and cook in water that is a constant 80C - you need to check and adjust the temperature with ice if it goes above 80C - for 10-15 minutes. Rest the chicken in the bag for 10 minutes before serving (out of the water) I think this is called sous vide.

I tried it once and the chicken was unbelievable - even though the bag broke towards the end.

Now that is extremely interesting! You’re right, it is called Sous-vide.....I just Googled it. :LOL:

I’m trying that tonight. Thanks for the idea!

Have you tried quickly sauteing them, and then finishing the cooking in simmering liquid? Marsala or picatta comes to mind...and it works every time.

I’m trying that tonight. Thanks for the idea!

How did you go with it? I've got some really tough steaks (sirloin, but I just know they'd make good shoes) and I'm thinking I may as well try this method - maybe with some... dunno - I've got a thing for dukkah at the moment. How bad could it be?

Sous-vide cooking in a home kitchen is not a good idea. It takes professional equipment to get it right. What was described above is not Sous-vide cooking as it must be done in a vacuum. It also takes a vary long time, some things cooking for 48 hours or longer. I am not sure of the conversion from C to F, but your water should be the temp you want the meat cooked to in the end. If you want 165 degree meat then that is the temp of the water as well.

The way to get tender chicken, as others have said, is do not overcook it. Use a probe thermometer to take all the guess works out of it.

Brining will help as well and give you some wiggle room if you do happen to overcook it a bit. Plus brining adds flavor so that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Here is an article on sous vide in the home kitchen, I used basic equipment and had no trouble whatsoever (except for the bag issue, which is addressed in the article)

I'm happy to see steak works well and I really like the browning quickly on the barbecue idea.

That method is not sous vide. I can take a steak and put it on a pan and leave it under the sun and call that pan broiled if I want, but that does not mean that is what it really is.

That method is not sous vide. I can take a steak and put it on a pan and leave it under the sun and call that pan broiled if I want, but that does not mean that is what it really is.

You’re right GB, using a zip-loc bag isn’t technically sous vide, but the basic idea is there. You set the water temp to the desired meat temp. And while the French methods use tightly controlled machines, and will often cook some dishes for 30 hours or more, you can approximate this technique in the kitchen. It would be even better with a Food Saver so you could vacuum pack the meat with your seasonings.

I haven’t done it yet, but I’ve bought a chicken and cut it up and saved the breast to give it a shot. I hope to try it out later this week. It sounds fun even if it isn’t the true an technical methodology of sous vide.

I'm not sure what other name to give this technique.....it's not poaching, so I don't know what to call it.

You’re right GB, using a zip-loc bag isn’t technically sous vide, but the basic idea is there.

I disagree. I think the basic idea is not there. The main component in sous vide is two fold. One is cooking in a vacuum. You certainly do not get that from zip lock bags. The other component is a very long cook time at a low temperature. The only thing this home made method has in common is that food is cooked in a bag.

I disagree. I think the basic idea is not there. The main component in sous vide is two fold. One is cooking in a vacuum. You certainly do not get that from zip lock bags. The other component is a very long cook time at a low temperature. The only thing this home made method has in common is that food is cooked in a bag.

So what's a good name for the Food Saver or zip-loc technique at home?

The ziplock people tell you not to use their bags in boiling water. You need to keep the water hot enough to not kill yourself with food poisoning but low enough so that you don't eat a melted plastic bag. I am not sure what the attraction is to this "technique."

It's so easy to perfectly poach a chicken breast almost effortlessly and mindlesly using a pan and some water.

Actually, I was going to use a Food Saver pack that is vacuumed sealed and specified for immersion in boiling water. But, this technique wouldn’t use boiling water (212F) but would instead monitor the temp of the water and keep it at 165F.

True sous vide is typically used today for interrupted cooking where meals are prepared in this manner, then quickly frozen for use later. However, it is beginning to catch on for uninterrupted cooking in restaurants......although this method was banned last year in New York city by the NY Health Department until an appropriate food-safety plan can be devised and implemented.

As to why do it at home? It sounds fun. Also, I’m interested in the taste and texture of the final product. In April of 2006, Georges Pralus, the inventor of the sous vide technique, held a training class entitled “Des techniques de caisson sous vide” in David Bouley’s test kitchen. In that class, the appeal and benefits of sous vide cooking are described:

Sous vide is an extremely healthful method of preparing food. Most of the benefits are directly related to the fact that food is placed in a sealed, reduced oxygen environment and cooked at low temperatures. The net effect is precise control over heat, oxygen, and added water, which are the three elements most responsible for reducing the nutritional content of conventionally prepared foods.

As a flameless, low heat cooking method, little additional fat is required during cooking to prevent adhesion of proteins to cooking surfaces. Any added lipids are strictly for the enhancement of mouth feel and flavor. Because of the plastic barrier, oxidation is significantly reduced, preserving the qualities of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids2.

The plastic film also prevents the loss of moisture and flavors. Consequently, flavors are amplified, and fewer spices and less salt is required, lowering the overall sodium content of sous vide foods. Water soluble minerals are typically leached into cooking water, reducing the mineral content of foods processed by traditional means. The pouch eliminates mineral loss, preserving the mineral content of fresh foods.

VeraBlue said:
Have you tried quickly sauteing them, and then finishing the cooking in simmering liquid? Marsala or picatta comes to mind...and it works every time.

Jeekinz said:
That's what I meant.

So what's the 'French' term for that?

Amazingly enough, it seems like pot roast to me, according to definitions I've found. From http://www.recipestogo.com/kitchart/kitchart17.html

<quote>
Pot-roast - To brown meat in a small amount of fat, then finish cooking in a small amount of liquid.
<end quote>

I've seen several sites that have the same definition, and it doesn't specify how long to cook in liquid, which makes it different from a braise.

I am not sure what the attraction is to this "technique."

It's so easy to perfectly poach a chicken breast almost effortlessly and mindlesly using a pan and some water.

The attraction is the intense flavour and tender texture of the finished product. It's completely different from poaching where the 'insert food item here' takes on the flavour of the poaching liquid. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Top chefs from all over the world use this technique - both the slow and fast method. A little Molecular Gastronomy for the home cook.

I aw an episode of "Chef's Story" where Thomas Keller demonstrated the Sous-vide technique. He cooked up some chicken breast (boneless), a stuffed boneless chicken thigh (rolled up and tied like a sausage, and some asparagus. After the Sous-vide, he pan fried the chicken a bit. It looked really cool and when he sliced the chicken, it looked so juicy. His set up for the demo was simply a pot of water with what looked like a candy thermometer. The one part that confused me though was that he said in the restaurant he uses a probe thermometer to tell when the meat was done, which he didn't have for the demo. How would a probe thermometer be used when the meat is vacuum sealed?? Also he didn't mention cooking times for the meat, but he did say 15 or 20 min for the asparagus.

Gotta break out the Foodsaver and give it a go!!

Michael

The attraction is the intense flavour and tender texture of the finished product. It's completely different from poaching where the 'insert food item here' takes on the flavour of the poaching liquid. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Top chefs from all over the world use this technique - both the slow and fast method. A little Molecular Gastronomy for the home cook.

I am quite familiar with the idea of sous vide and the fact that professional chefs use it. I am also quite interested in molecular gastronomy. Hopefully an El Bulli cookbook will be coming my way at Xmas.

BUT Putting chicken in a ziplock bag and into 180 degree water for 15 min. is not sous vide. I highly doubt that the chicken will come to an internal temp of 165 in that time, thus leading to questions about food safety.

A real sous vide preparation (vacuum sealed and cooked for longer period at a lower temp) is pretty interesting. Anyone attempting this at home should do it right and not in a zip-lock bag.

Unless done correctly, sous vide raises all kinds of food safety issues, including the risk of botulism (read about that in this very recent article Hence the ban on restaurants using the technique by NYC and also the United States Food and Drug Administration.

There are many other ways for the home cook to prepare a tender chicken breast that are far less complicated and pose far fewer health risks.

If you want to try sous vide at home, you really need to do a lot of homework and do it correctly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom