What do you want to see?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're awesome. How old was she? I'll bet she never forgets thriftstoring with you.

(Yard sales are still my favorite shopping place.)

She was 14. I am not that awesome. I just do the job I was put on this earth to do. I took her or she was up for adoption. And at her age, she would never be adopted. She was facing a grim future. She was my first granddaughter. I had taken her off and on as she was growing up. She was really a handful for her mother. Unfortunately, she is now living with the "ifonlies". "If I had only ...." And they will be with her for the rest of her life. That was one pain I could not ease for her. It was rough for both of us at first. I was trying to help her handle her grief, while I was dealing with my own. But she found her own way. And it was with her cat. I would be standing outside her room and she would be crying and talking to Sasha telling her all the things she wish she had said to her mother. One day I told her that her mother was looking down on her and could hear what she was saying to Sasha. That seem to comfort her and she started to behave. Except in school. You know how kids will say, "I hate my mother. She never lets me do anything. I wish she were dead." What kids hasn't said it at least once. It was too much for my DG to hear. So I had to take her out of school and have her home schooled. Today she is married and next year her oldest of three kids will be heading off to college. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks Silversage. I re read the original post , I just got side tracked by other posts and cooking shows .

On a blog I like to see interesting photos , including prep , the use of more unusual ingredients and different techniques , and some engaging chat . The way some people write can really draw you in , I like Nigella Lawson , her cookery books are a great read .

I listened. I am again adding pictures to the blog to go with the recipes and explanations of the techniques. Thanks everyone.

Right now, I'm teaching people to use common, inexpensive foods, and turn them into something elegant and tasty. In addition, I'm teaching them new techniques and why they work.

I believe that it will help people cook better if they understand what's going on with the food they are cooking.

Again, thanks for your input.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Totally off topic, but I'd like to see a cooking show where the cook uses every day, cheap utensils like most people own. Not the expensive, top of the line stuff. I think a lot of these shows end up intimidating most people because they feel they couldn't accomplish some dishes because they lack the cool equipment. Show me a cook who roasts something on a cookie sheet, or flimsy pizza pan. Let's see somebody cook a perfect meal in a small apartment sized oven or Black and Decker toaster oven, like many regular fold own....

I think that this stuff plays to people's fantasy of a "perfect" life or "perfect" kitchen. This has also helped the sales of kitchen equipment to explode. Heck people spend hundreds of dollars on a Kitchenaid mixer to use as kitchen jewelry.

There are lots of YouTube cooking shows with everyday people making good food with very basic equipment. Kinda makes me appreciate all of the cool stuff I have.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I listened. I am again adding pictures to the blog to go with the recipes and explanations of the techniques. Thanks everyone.

Right now, I'm teaching people to use common, inexpensive foods, and turn them into something elegant and tasty. In addition, I'm teaching them new techniques and why they work.

I believe that it will help people cook better if they understand what's going on with the food they are cooking.

Again, thanks for your input.

I like how you do things. Cooking can be overcomplicated and expensive, but it doesn't have to be. For me pretentiousness has no place in cooking.

I too try to keep my blog so that it isn't intimidating. I've received many compliments about how my pictures really helped keep them on track.

I like how you do things. Cooking can be overcomplicated and expensive, but it doesn't have to be. For me pretentiousness has no place in cooking.

I too try to keep my blog so that it isn't intimidating. I've received many compliments about how my pictures really helped keep them on track.

Thanks. How do I get to your blog? Oops, silly me. I just saw the link at the bottom of your posts. I'm going to check it out.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Bakechef, I took a look at the blog. Nice work. And I agree that the pictures are well done.

I wonder what it would be like if we combined our talents and turned our separate blogs into one. We both have enough difference in our skill-sets that I think we could make something more complete than either of us by ourselves. If you've looked through my blog, you can see that I can put nice pictures into it as well. If you're interested in a collaborative effort, let me know.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Actually there is more we can do. Add the step by step picture to the recipe we post. That would be a huge help to many.
Simple things like that.
The question about restaurant cooks, was valid. I am not talking about gross stuff, but rather the technic (SP?) that is used by professionals, the cooking tricks we simple cooks do not know.

Actually there is more we can do. Add the step by step picture to the recipe we post. That would be a huge help to many.
Simple things like that.
The question about restaurant cooks, was valid. I am not talking about gross stuff, but rather the technic (SP?) that is used by professionals, the cooking tricks we simple cooks do not know.
That's a good idea, Charlie, but it adds a lot of time to the recipe prep time. A recipe that takes 35 minutes can take a lot longer if you are shooting the "raw" ingredients, the prepped ingredients, action shots, and final plating. And, you end up with a lot more dishes. I know, I do this with a professional food photographer. Unless I know I'm developing a recipe, I don't follow recipes. I follow Michael Smith's approach, cooking without a recipe. :LOL: First I write the recipe down, with estimated amounts (on the light side), then I do the mise-en-place, get all the equipment out, have the "recipe" ready to make adjustments, notations, etc. It takes a fair amount of time to develop a recipe that can be given to the test team to test drive it. Then it is back to the kitchen to test changes the test team might have recommended/suggested, and invite some friends over to taste test it. When working on a recipe, I take a picture of the final dish plated and highlight the other shots (colour coded--yellow for no action, blue for action shot, green for technique shots) in the recipe.

Last edited:

FYI, I just added your blog to my news reader and you don't have a title on the home page, so there's no title in my reader. Might want to fix that ;)

Bakechef, I took a look at the blog. Nice work. And I agree that the pictures are well done.

I wonder what it would be like if we combined our talents and turned our separate blogs into one. We both have enough difference in our skill-sets that I think we could make something more complete than either of us by ourselves. If you've looked through my blog, you can see that I can put nice pictures into it as well. If you're interested in a collaborative effort, let me know.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's an interesting proposition.

I'll have to admit, that in the last year I've been very lazy with my blog. I enjoy doing it, but the process slows down a lot when you have to remember to stop and take pictures.

I pay for my blog, I pay a monthly fee for the server as well as fee every couple years for the www.bakingbetter.com url

I'll have to admit, that in the last year I've been very lazy with my blog. I enjoy doing it, but the process slows down a lot when you have to remember to stop and take pictures.

I pay for my blog, I pay a monthly fee for the server as well as fee every couple years for the www.bakingbetter.com url
It took me two hours today to format a recipe, mark where the pics should be, and send it off for testing. That didn't include cooking it!

I use Wordpress, and an app that lets me format my blog, and place pictures where I want. I wonder how we could set up a joint blog, that both of us can add to. Or maybe, we should just give links to each other's blog. That way, if the reader wants to choose one or the other of us, he/she has a choice. Whadaya think, link each other's blog?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

BC, I recently bought two turkey legs. The only part of the bird I am willing to eat. Just came across your Stuffing Mix Bread. A good reason to take out the bag of frozen cranberries, make mashed potatoes, sliced meat from the legs with stuffing bread on the side. A full holiday meal is way to much for me to make or even eat. I haven't made stuffing bread in eons. I lost my recipe many years ago. :angel:

I use Wordpress, and an app that lets me format my blog, and place pictures where I want. I wonder how we could set up a joint blog, that both of us can add to. Or maybe, we should just give links to each other's blog. That way, if the reader wants to choose one or the other of us, he/she has a choice. Whadaya think, link each other's blog?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I too use wordpress for the blog, I just host it myself, my server host provides it with their service as an easy way to set up a blog.

I would love to add you to my blogroll, and I will right now!

I too use wordpress for the blog, I just host it myself, my server host provides it with their service as an easy way to set up a blog.

I would love to add you to my blogroll, and I will right now!

Ok, so I've put your blog address in my own blogroll. How do I make it visible to the readers so that they can enjoy your blog as well?

Oh, and my blog pseudonym is G.W.North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom