What do you want to see?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have another avenue that I often take to give out info about all things food. Now I don't know if this post is allowed, I certainly gain nothing but the opportunity to share information, and some good technique and recipes. So, if you were going to go down my other road, what would you want to see, what recipes, or techniques. What would pique your interest. I'd love to know so that I can share what people want to see.

Mods, if this post is not allowed, let me know, and delete this. My feelings won't be hurt. I'm just sorta testing the waters, trying to get more info.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For me it is always about doing the best you can with what you have and not be limited by your surroundings or circumstances!

I have always been fascinated by home cooks that can take a few very basic, inexpensive ingredients and use them to create a variety of nourishing meals. If you can set a nice table for the people you love during tough times you can certainly do it when times are good!

I think how-tos for new cooks and I'd love to see anything posted to tickle our taste buds and tried and true recipes.

I'm really happy with DC. I'm always finding inspiration for new ideas to make really good meals, and keep up with what's going on in the lives of my online friends here.

I like to know "restaurant tricks". What do the guys/gals do behind the swinging doors?
Are you sure????
LOL
If every restaurant patron really knew all that goes on behind the swinging doors the restaurant industry would be smaller.
The range from stupefyingly horrific to stunningly spotless would amaze some.
I used to deliver live fish to some restaurants through the back door.
One restaurant used to 'cool' the steamed rice in 5 gal tubs outside uncovered.
What the 'blue-bottle' flies didn't lay their eggs on the cats and dogs would get a few mouthfuls before someone cased them off.

Are you sure????
LOL
If every restaurant patron really knew all that goes on behind the swinging doors the restaurant industry would be smaller.
The range from stupefyingly horrific to stunningly spotless would amaze some.
I used to deliver live fish to some restaurants through the back door.
One restaurant used to 'cool' the steamed rice in 5 gal tubs outside uncovered.
What the 'blue-bottle' flies didn't lay their eggs on the cats and dogs would get a few mouthfuls before someone cased them off.
Many years ago, the son of a neighbour was a chef in a very up-market hotel in London(think Claridges, The Ritz, etc., but not either of those). His conditions of service included all meals while he was on shift. He ate off site every day as did the other chefs in that hotel!

Last edited:
Crouton bin on lower shelf of a prep table, no lid on it, and a mouse trap underneath it. Mentioned this to the Executive Chef--told it was none of my business, exterminators came in regularly (I threw the croutons out and got fired for that). Sous Chef rubbing his nose when he had a cold with his hand and then mixing up a huge bowl of pasta salad without washing his hands or putting on gloves. Meat stored above produce dripping...workers just rinse it off and shake it...or don't rinse it off at all. People cheating on temp charts for products in a salad table, fridge, etc. You really don't want to know. I prefer to eat at home, and yes, I have a thermometer in my fridge, freezer, and oven. Yes, I wear gloves in my kitchen. And yes, even when prepping the food for a photo shoot, I wear a hair net, gloves, and make sure I practice safe food handling practices.

Last edited:
I lived in Chicago for a few years when I was a kid and went on a field trip to a slaughterhouse. Thankful we have a friend or a 4H kid who raises our meat and a local meat cutter with a spotless shop.

So, if you were going to go down my other road, what would you want to see, what recipes, or techniques.

I'd like to see tried and true recipes and cool shortcuts. And pantry food made exotic....always like to see new ideas. Cooking here is often like a Chopped episode, lol.

Totally off topic, but I'd like to see a cooking show where the cook uses every day, cheap utensils like most people own. Not the expensive, top of the line stuff. I think a lot of these shows end up intimidating most people because they feel they couldn't accomplish some dishes because they lack the cool equipment. Show me a cook who roasts something on a cookie sheet, or flimsy pizza pan. Let's see somebody cook a perfect meal in a small apartment sized oven or Black and Decker toaster oven, like many regular fold own....

Totally off topic, but I'd like to see a cooking show where the cook uses every day, cheap utensils like most people own. Not the expensive, top of the line stuff. I think a lot of these shows end up intimidating most people because they feel they couldn't accomplish some dishes because they lack the cool equipment. Show me a cook who roasts something on a cookie sheet, or flimsy pizza pan. Let's see somebody cook a perfect meal in a small apartment sized oven or Black and Decker toaster oven, like many regular fold own....

I actually like this idea a lot. This ought to be the the theme if they ever do another "Next Food Network Star" show. Forget the commercial kitchen look and do their cooking like us home folks do it. :chef:

I enjoy the back and forth conversations, debates and how to improve various recipes or simply reinforce various theories and recipes as found here on DC. DC'ers most often readily provide explanations such as why doesn't my bread rise and why does my cake batter overflow the pan type of things etc. based on our own knowledge and experiences. The recent discussion regarding prolonged crocked pot cooking red sauce and flavor loss is a good example for group discussion. I think anyone who read this hopefully came away learning something.

If the Chief is looking to expand on this in another way, I kind of liked, for example, the treatise he started a year or so ago on Mother Sauces. I learned a lot about them, not having looked further than a specific sauce recipe previous. I did a lot of studying and comparing, both in cookbooks and on the 'net before and during the discussion. And hopefully I was able to contribute a little to the discussion about what I learned and I Made several sauces as I identified them too.

I think I would like to see more technical / analytical info offered along side various ways how to cook something as well as accompanying recipes.

I am pretty sure there are explanations out there to be found already about How much salt to add to how much leavening agent, or perhaps it's per how many eggs and leavening or when to use baking soda vs baking powder. I forget the details, but it's readily available. Whether you write about this or not, I will Still Forget and have to look it up untll it's drilled into me or a Really Memorable Example is provided and drilled into me. OR I could just use a written recipe and follow the directions and think no further about it. That is not always good enough.

So I guess what I would like to see is what or how you make some things Better, or why making something differently Improves the plan.

Oh, and while you are at it, please explain theories behind why Mom's apple pie, or anything Mom made, is always Best, even if you have the exact recipe written in Mom's hand writing. You know you have to have fun too.

I'd like to see a lot less cooking contests. You don't learn anything from them, and learning something new is why I pay extra to get those channels.

I agree, I think that is a great idea.

It always make me laugh when friends and family leave the well equipped luxury kitchen at home and venture out to the vacation cabin or ocean condo to spend a couple weeks living the simple life in a kitchen equipped with only the most basic equipment. They almost always have more fun improvising and using what is on hand than they seem to have at home.

People also think in terms of the starving student just starting to set up an apartment or home kitchen. I'm on the other end of the spectrum with reducing my possessions and adjusting to life in smaller quarters. I'm all for improvising and adapting to dollar store kitchen equipment and ingredients! If you approach it with the right attitude and a bottle of good booze it can be a lot of fun! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I don't know if Walmart or the DollarStore would sponsor a cooking show...I suspect that neither of us have a gourmet kitchen, Rock. But, we do like to use quality ingredients. I do have nice pans (thanks, Mom), but I don't have those fancy dancy things you see on TV. OMG, could I please have that fridge/stove/oven???!!! Not in this lifetime. Maybe if I'd put those things in my bridal registry a gazillion years ago. I scour the thrift stores, yard sales, auctions for the things I wish I had, and they are stored in the basement.

Another thing I'd like to see less of on cooking shows is guests. Too often the guest is someone the host knows well and have much in common so that they spend their time talking to each other and ignoring the viewer.

What do I want to see , where ? On a blog , on a website , or on the telly ?

I want different things depending where I am looking to be honest . On a blog or website , I like photos and sharing recipes from all over the world , I like it to be easy to access or to file recipes . I like photos of people's dinner :)

On the telly here we are pretty saturated with cooking shows but I have to say there is a great choice . Watching a programme currently about going back to look at at how families ate through the decades , fascinating to see the food , the lifestyles and the kitchens through the years .

I'm pretty sure he's saying that he writes a blog, and he wants to know what you would like to see on his blog.

I got a call from the courthouse at three in the afternoon. Could I take custody of my daughter's oldest child. I was living with my daughter at the time helping her out while she was separated from her husband. I went down to get my granddaughter. Found an apartment real quick. What money I had left over, we headed for the thrift shop. My daughter went and picked up her bed. I bought one saucepan, two plates, two of each, forks, knifes and spoons. And then did a quick stop for food. You would be surprised at the meals I was able to put together for the two of us. Each week, I would add to the household items. Mainly for the kitchen. Yard sales became a favorite shopping place for me. By the time she graduated from high school, I had a complete home and kitchen. That one little saucepan got more washing and served us well. I fried, boiled and even baked in it. I could only make poached egg as it was a while before I found an egg turner. Toast and bacon was made under the broiler. You can make do when you have to. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom