What does it mean to cream together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Cook
I was looking at a cookie recipe and it says to cream together a couple of the ingredients.

Thanks.

It means to beat them together in the same bowl. Typically butter or cream cheese with sugar. Bring the butter or CC to room temp and beat them with a hand or stand mixer wutil well blended and smooth.

Andy explained it pretty well. Just blend/beat them well to make an even, homogeneous texture without lumps and blots.
For cookies though, I usually cut the butter just out of the fridge into small cubes, and rub each cubes into the flour with my fingers, until the mixture attain a bread crumb like texture, then beat it together with sugar and egg.

urmaniac13 said:
Andy explained it pretty well. Just blend/beat them well to make an even, homogeneous texture without lumps and blots.
For cookies though, I usually cut the butter just out of the fridge into small cubes, and rub each cubes into the flour with my fingers, until the mixture attain a bread crumb like texture, then beat it together with sugar and egg.
That is a neat technique Licia, it makes me think more towards making pastry...I've never thought to do that with cookie batter too. I usually just cream my fats and sugars (and eggs, if applicable) and add them to the dry ingredients. How do you find that your cookies turn out when you make them with this method?:chef:

Yes, I realised one of the most popular Italian pastry dough, "Pasta Frolla" is almost identical to shortbread biscuits. So I experimented with this method with cookies, and they came out perfectly:)

urmaniac13 said:
Yes, I realised one of the most popular Italian pastry dough, "Pasta Frolla" is almost identical to shortbread biscuits. So I experimented with this method with cookies, and they came out perfectly:)
Very cool! I will have to give that a try with my future short bread cookie endeavors :)

urmaniac13 said:

Does it make them better or do they turn out the same either way?

Do you think it will work with regular types of cookies - like sugar?

[FONT=arial, helvetica]From a couple of different glossaries:

Cream
- To blend or beat to the soft and smooth consistency of cream. Usually applied to fat and sugar.

[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica][/FONT] Cream Together
To beat fat (usually butter) and sugar (usually granulated sugar) to form a pale and fluffy mixture which resembles whipped cream in texture and color. This mixture is used as a basis for a wide variety of cake, biscuit and pudding recipes.

Cream Beat together two or more ingredients, such as butter and sugar, until mixture has a smooth uniform consistency.

CREAM TOGETHER
“Cream together” means to beat one or more ingredients, usually butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Electric or hand held beaters, or a whisk can be used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom