What does "one cup" mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redrabbit

Assistant Cook
I am a COMPLETE newbie at cooking really, but always enjoyed the small amount of cooking I've done.

Anyway, I have a recipe for chocolate fudge brownies. They sound good, and I think I could do it quite well.

However, it uses "cup" measurements.

i.e.:

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup cocoa

How am I supposed to know if that is one of my smaller cups, or bigger ones, and how to measure it correctly. Any clues?

Link to the recipe: Fudgy Brownies Recipes at Cooking.com

measuring%20cups%20spoons.JPG

Get yourself some of these - they have the measures printed right on them.

The 'cup' refers to a measuring cup, not a coffee or tea cup. A measuring cup holds 8 fluid ounces (a measure of volume).

A measuring cup is equal to 16 tablespoons - measuring tablespoons, not silverware.

Any recipe will use these measurements all the time. You will need a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons if you plan on baking.

First, welcome, redrabbit. You'll enjoy DC and will learn a lot about cooking.

As for the measuring cup "thing," you will need to purchase a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons, too, if you don't have any. You should also purchase a "liquid" measuring cup. That is a measuring cup with a pouring spout. The other measuring cups don't have spouts. They have uniform rims all around. Most hardware stores, discount stores, dollar stores, grocery stores, and places like Wal-Mart and K-Mart will also have them.

When you measure dry ingredients such as flour and sugar, the ingredients need to be leveled off in the cup. That's why the rims are flat and uniform. Just take the flat edge of a table knife and scrape it across the top to remove any of the ingredient that is above the top of the cup.

The butter is the easiest because most sticks have marks on them telling you what 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, etc. is. All you have to do is to cut along the line that equals the measurement your recipe calls for.

Once you get the swing of things and some measuring tools, you'll have great fun preparing lots and lots of goodies.

As a Brit, I used to be totally flummoxed by cups. I still don't like using them, though I have a set of 'official' cup measurements now. I'd much rather bake, for example, going by weight rather than having to worrying about whether my cup of flour is packed to right density!

another question might be: where do you live? THe US uses old standard measurements based on the "English" or European system of previous centuries (slightly modified). Most of the rest of the world uses metric measurements, and you'd be used to milliliters etc. of liquids.

Thanks everyone for your excellent help.

I'm cooking a 3 course meal for 2 friends on tomorrow night, so want it to go well!

I live in England. I think I'll just use the table spoon measurements. I.e. 1 cup = 16 tablespoons.

As I don't have any of those measuring spoons, and don't have time to get them.

Thanks again.

well conversion should not be too much of a problem...1 US cup equals 237 ml. 2 cups is almost 1/2 a liter. (.03ml under)

I found this:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 2 cups = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoonhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=3+teaspoons+in+tablespoons
48 teaspoons = 1 cup
16 tablespoons = 1 cup
12 tablespoons = 3/4 cup
10 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons = 2/3 cup
8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup
6 tablespoons = 3/8 cup
5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon = 1/3 cup
4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup
2 tablespoons = 1/8 cup
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons = 1/6 cup
1 tablespoon = 1/16 cup
[/FONT]

That seems pretty easy to follow. I should be ok.

jkath said:
measuring%20cups%20spoons.JPG

Get yourself some of these - they have the measures printed right on them.
In addition you need to know that these cups are only for DRY measure such as flour, sugar, rice and the like. Wet measuring cups look like little pitchers and have a spout on one side. They, too, will be marked with the ounces, and sometimes metric as well.

ChefJune said:
In addition you need to know that these cups are only for DRY measure such as flour, sugar, rice and the like.
This is true, but the measurements are the same on both. A cup in a dry measure is the same as a cup in a wet measure. The difference is just that if you try to measure a cup of liquid in a dry measure then you will spill some at some point most likely and if you try to measure dry stuff in a wet measure then there is no way to level it off to make sure you have an accurate measurement.

I thought that this page was helpful
conversion table for u.s. and metric | kitchen charts
(a cup of bricks weighs more than a cup of feathers)
example:
Butter or Margarine
1/8 cup = 30 grams
1/4 cup = 55 grams
1/3 cup = 75 grams
3/8 cup = 85 grams
1/2 cup = 115 grams
5/8 cup = 140 grams
2/3 cup = 150 grams
3/4 cup = 170 grams
7/8 cup = 200 grams
1 cup = 225 grams
Cake Flour
1/8 cup = 10 grams
1/4 cup = 20 grams
1/3 cup = 25 grams
3/8 cup = 30 grams
1/2 cup = 50 grams
5/8 cup = 60 grams
2/3 cup = 65 grams
3/4 cup = 70 grams
7/8 cup = 85 grams
1 cup = 95 grams

Robo410 said:
never saw no recipe callin fer a cup of bricks! What you be makin? (lol)

redrabbit's making the fudgy brownie recipe that's linked on the bottom of the original post.

Redrabbit - best of luck to you!

Robo410 said:
never saw no recipe callin fer a cup of bricks! What you be makin? (lol)
bricks vs feathers is a common way to illustrate that different volumes have different weights
:rolleyes:

Hey everyone,

I cooked my brownies last night. They came out quite well. I didn't actually add any chocolate, as the recipe didn't say too, although I was tempted!

I used table spoons and teaspoons to measure the mixture and they came out more than edible!

My two friends are coming over tonight to have vegetarian lasagne (Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Lasagne from Delia Online, the fudge brownies, and ceasar salad - not in that order!

Thanks again to everyone, it was a great help.

Anyone want a brownie? :chef:

"I cooked my brownies last night. They came out quite well. I didn't actually add any chocolate, as the recipe didn't say too, although I was tempted!"

What does this mean? You didn't add the cocoa? How did you get "brownies"? Am I missing something?

Buy some measuring cups and lose the tablespoon.

Hello,

I used cocoe, not cooking chocolate - that's what I meant.

The tablespoons worked fine though. Although I may look today for some cups/spoons.

Congrats on your inventive spirit. It is always a breath of fresh air to hear of someone overcoming the obstacles in life. :smartass:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom