What is a "Foodie?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
to me it sounds like something a small child would say.

"mommie i is hungie , can i have some foodies ?" :rolleyes:

hurry up and eat before your dinnie gets cold

are cooks cookies ?
chiefs ... chiefies ?

nonsense :angel:

Hey, its no weirder than being a "birder". LOL! I love language and all its idiosyncratic quirks.

I just plain old love food. I love to see it, smell it, talk about it, prepare it, and most especially TASTE it!

To me, a true foodie is one who can find enjoyment in a variety of things. Whether that be Velveeta or white truffle oil; goat stew or matooke it doesn't matter. Just experiencing and finding enjoyment in our food makes you a foodie in my book.

I was told I was "foppish" for mentioning the merlot in my chili recipe last night. Foppish or not, you could smell it and it tasted heavenly as I took two cold bites before going to bed...
I am probably an eating,cooking,haute,learning,try it,don't like it,enjoy it foodie......

It's funny the random things we like in our chili and stews :)
I recently discovered (well, two days ago) that I LOVE Worcestershire sauce in my vegetable chili. :D I sort of tried to get a "ceasar" (the drink, not the dressing lol) flare to the chili, and oddly enough it worked! I still have to remember to post the recipe before I forget what I put in it...
I never thought of adding merlot though... That could be interesting... :angel:

It's funny the random things we like in our chili and stews :)
I recently discovered (well, two days ago) that I LOVE Worcestershire sauce in my vegetable chili. :D I sort of tried to get a "ceasar" (the drink, not the dressing lol) flare to the chili, and oddly enough it worked! I still have to remember to post the recipe before I forget what I put in it...
I never thought of adding merlot though... That could be interesting... :angel:

I used 1/2 cup at the end of a pork(2lbs) and beef(1lb)chili recipe and simmered for about 30 minutes.

I used 1/2 cup at the end of a pork(2lbs) and beef(1lb)chili recipe and simmered for about 30 minutes.

Hmm...Thanks! If I do start cooking meat again, I will definitely be trying that! (I wonder if it would work well with a veggie chili...)

Hmm...Thanks! If I do start cooking meat again, I will definitely be trying that! (I wonder if it would work well with a veggie chili...)

For the chili cook-off at church we must name our chili...mine is "BlackHat DrunkBean" chili. I added the wine to the beans and then the beans to the chili. You probably could use all of the ingredients w/o the meat and sub butternut squash(3 lbs) and adjust the time. Mine cooks for 1 1/2 hours. Its awsome!:chef:

For the chili cook-off at church we must name our chili...mine is "BlackHat DrunkBean" chili. I added the wine to the beans and then the beans to the chili. You probably could use all of the ingredients w/o the meat and sub butternut squash(3 lbs) and adjust the time. Mine cooks for 1 1/2 hours. Its awsome!:chef:

Very good to know, thank you! :) I will try that with my next chili batch!
Do you know if there are any specific spices/ingredients that won't work well with the merlot? I'm sure it's basic knowledge, but I've never cooked with wine before :LOL:

I am not a techno-cookie-foodie,..I'm sure there are wines that chemically react to certain spices, but I have a friend at church who makes his living cooking and if I ask him which spices will not work well with wine, I better have pencil and paper ready. You will probably have an answer tomorrow.

Thanks, guys, for giving me a general consensus of what a "foodie" is, even though I self-proclaimed myself as one coming to the site. It looks like I won't have to figure out how to make an eggless meringue to qualify after all. *whew* :)

At least it wasn't a Kraft "Cheese" Slice.
To this day our son (he's 29) refers to Kraft Singles as "wallet cheese". Yes, he was know to slip a slice or two into his wallet at times...:glare:

Like some others, I think all you need to do to quality as a "foodie" is to love food in any and/or all of its aspects: recipe-hunting, shopping, cooking, presenting, and (of course) eating. You can be a "foodie" just by exploring different restaurants. Some people enjoy working with food as much as others enjoy sports or gardening or any other recreation. I love to shop and cook food nearly as much as I love my DH...and there just might be days that he takes a back seat to the food:ROFLMAO:. Um, those are the days he ignores the Honey Do list...;)

I am not a techno-cookie-foodie,..I'm sure there are wines that chemically react to certain spices, but I have a friend at church who makes his living cooking and if I ask him which spices will not work well with wine, I better have pencil and paper ready. You will probably have an answer tomorrow.

:) That's awesome, if you're able to find out--Thanks! :)

At my work, I suppose I'm considered a foodie, when the sales department has a recipe with an ingredient they don't recognize, they call me and mascarade that they have a 'help desk ticket'...to ask me what a 'leek' is and where to buy them. I send them a picture and they say 'oh a green onion' and then I have to explain that they are not green onions and they can buy them at all the local grocery stores. And don't eat the green part. They've never heard of them before.
I admit I've purchased every type of produce available, just because it's something new. I talk food everyday with my closet foodie friends. If I don't talk about food, it's because I'm sick, then I talk about not being hungry.
I'm guilty.:LOL:

I talk food everyday with my closet foodie friends. If I don't talk about food, it's because I'm sick, then I talk about not being hungry.
I'm guilty.:LOL:

LOL! My nurses aides and I talk about food all the time. I should have known we weren't feeling well when Sunday night we didn't discuss food at all and what we did eat didn't smell good. Now I wonder if he had the same problem I did by Monday...stomach flu!

The only food he suggested I NOT serve with merlot was Artichokes....something about it messes with the palate...

(I'm quite the late responder today...:LOL:)
Thank you for the response! I won't be using artichokes for sure, I've never really liked them... Something about them, the way they look... I don't know if I've ever eaten one before though, strange..

The exterior of an artichoke does look strange, but you don't eat that anyway. There is a bit of the leaves that you can scrape off and eat, but the prize is the heart. When you are at a restaurant you can see if they have anything with artichoke in it and you can try it. If you don't then just push it to the side. I love it though!

Back
Top Bottom