What to replace Cilantro with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I like small amounts of cilantro in some recipes - but not alot of people like it. What would be a good replacement for it. I thought parsley. Any other ideas thanks

Italian or flat leafed parsley can be used in place of cilantro a lot of times. It does depend on what you are making though... If its something like a salsa I'd just omit it altogether. (and if you are making a salsa, cumin seed adds a nice delicate smoky flavour)

Last edited:
If you are looking to replace it based on what it looks like then flat leaf parsley, but if you are looking to replace it's taste then I wouldn't bother as it has it's own unique taste.

I agree with GB.

If it's for looks only, like as a garnish-- flat leaf parsley.

If it's for taste, which is most of the time, as in salsa, dips, etc. -- leave it out.

Flat leaf parsley has a very distictive taste which is totally difft. than cilantro.

I agree with all who have said don't replace it if it is in for flavor, nothing tastes like it, and if people don't like it (and lots don't), just leave it out ... OR ... you can clean a bunch and put in a little vase on the side, or chop and put in a saucer or small bowl on the side. People tend to like this option. This way people who want that bright flavor with their salsa or Thai food can have it.

Claire said:
OR ... you can clean a bunch and put in a little vase on the side, or chop and put in a saucer or small bowl on the side. People tend to like this option. This way people who want that bright flavor with their salsa or Thai food can have it.

Excellent Idea!

I wouldn't hesitate to use the leaves of the corriander plant if I didn't have cilantro for a recipe!

(I was responding to Sarah's post. I should have added a smily face or two.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait am I missing something here? I thought corriander and cilantro were the same thing (the leaves that is).

Last edited:
In the UK, the leaves of the plant are called coriander, just like the root and seeds, whilst I think the leaves are called cilantro in the USA and some other countries.

I always have a huge bunch sitting on one of my kitchen windowsills - it is really cheap to buy huge bunches at one of our local Indian grocer shops.

I can't say anything replaces cilantro(coriander leaves, dhania, etc etc...)Cilantro has a taste that is very particular, then again all herbs do:huh: I just can't see myself replacing it with anything, parsley tastes so different.

Jikoni said:
I just can't see myself replacing it with anything, parsley tastes so different.
Yeah it would be like replacing flour with sugar :chef:
They might look very similar, but they do not taste anything alike.

I agree with most people here that the distinctive aroma/flavour of cilantro/fresh coriander is impossible to replace with something else to make the taste similar. I tried also with parsley with a dash of grated coriander seed, it was good, but not exactly the result that would have attained with the fresh coriander LEAVES.

Back
Top Bottom