What's the difference between poeleing & braising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
i've got a book that describes these methods & i can't seem to tell the difference. first the thing is browned (actually not always) & then the lid goes on & the thing inside steams in its own juices. is it the amount of liquid or what? the picture of the poeleing method has a chicken on what they call a matignon (like a mirepoix i guess) & the pic showing braising has a bunch of liquid in the pot also. is the liquid the only difference?

baking fool said:
i've got a book that describes these methods & i can't seem to tell the difference. first the thing is browned (actually not always) & then the lid goes on & the thing inside steams in its own juices. is it the amount of liquid or what? the picture of the poeleing method has a chicken on what they call a matignon (like a mirepoix i guess) & the pic showing braising has a bunch of liquid in the pot also. is the liquid the only difference?

It looks to me as if the liquid is the only difference: One cooks in its own juices, the other cooks in added liquid. I found this interesting site in a Google search: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Professional Chef, 7th Edition

Last edited:
The difference is that braising calls for liquids being added to the meat. Poeleing does not involve added liquids, just butter and the meat's own juices.

as side note:
a matignon is a mirepoix that is actually meant to be eaten with the dish
originally it was rather mushy and without much texture
but it is served as a side dish

obiwan9962 said:
as side note:
a matignon is a mirepoix that is actually meant to be eaten with the dish
originally it was rather mushy and without much texture
but it is served as a side dish

i thought it could be strained out after making the sauce/gravy??

baking fool said:
i thought it could be strained out after making the sauce/gravy??
if you strain it out and then toss it, it is mirepoix
if you keep it and serve it on the side it is a matignon

Back
Top Bottom