Buying a Smoker. Any insight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cajun

Assistant Cook
I was thinking about buying a King Kooker Smoker. Any insight into this product?

This is the description:

Outdoor Low Pressure Smoker with 38" Smoking Cabinet
$336.11
Description:
Low Pressure Propane Smoker, 38" Smoking Cabinet, 20,000 BTU Steel Burner, 3 Sliding Racks, 1 Sliding Marinade Rack, 3 Sausage Hanging Racks, Removable Porcelain Water Pan, Removable Cast Iron Wood Chip Pan with Vented Lid, Side Door for Easy Access and Minimal Heat Loss, Two Adjustable Side Dampers, Smokestack with Damper and Red "Hot" Signal, Large Temperature Gauge on Front Door, Heat Resistant Handles, Piezo Lighting System, UL Listed LP Hose and Regulator with Type 1 Connection, Instruction/Recipe Booklet. CSA Design Certified.

Shipping Weight: 120 lbs.

Is it similar in dimensions and specifics with this smoker? Is it propane fueled? What do you all use yours for?
Thank you!

Cajun - I assume you're talking about this which is gas powered?

And, Jeekinz, when you mention a "side fire box" I assume that is a wood/charcoal grill/smoker since gas grills/smokers have no need for a "side fire box". I'm guessing your Chargriller is perhaps similar to one of these models?

Humm ... apples and oranges .... and I'll throw in avacados - the electric smokers!

Each has it's advantages - and disadvantages .....

FWIW: My preference is a wood fired smoker (similar to the one Uncle Bob has) - weights about 1,000 lbs and cost about $1,200. Needless to say ... I'm still smoking on an old Brinkman water smoker .... :mad:

New Braunfels Hondo

Don't buy the New Braunfels Hondo, the design is very poor for smoking. You'll suggested modifications to it on the internet, but they don't work. :censored:

I cooked a brisket and ribs on it, smokiest results I ever had. I had to finish the ribs in the oven as it took over 5 hours and the meat was still not shrinking back on the bones. I made the modifications suggested, which did keep the meat from burning, but it didn't help the next batch of ribs on cooking. I really regret buying it & wish I would have used the $125/whatever towards a real smoker.:(

I was thinking about buying a King Kooker Smoker. Any insight into this product?

This is the description:

Outdoor Low Pressure Smoker with 38" Smoking Cabinet
$336.11
Description:
Low Pressure Propane Smoker, 38" Smoking Cabinet, 20,000 BTU Steel Burner, 3 Sliding Racks, 1 Sliding Marinade Rack, 3 Sausage Hanging Racks, Removable Porcelain Water Pan, Removable Cast Iron Wood Chip Pan with Vented Lid, Side Door for Easy Access and Minimal Heat Loss, Two Adjustable Side Dampers, Smokestack with Damper and Red "Hot" Signal, Large Temperature Gauge on Front Door, Heat Resistant Handles, Piezo Lighting System, UL Listed LP Hose and Regulator with Type 1 Connection, Instruction/Recipe Booklet. CSA Design Certified.

Shipping Weight: 120 lbs.

Well, it looks like it's gas-powered, correct? So, no need to CONSTANTLY be checking the temp. Just use your wood briquettes and wood chunks (avoid the wood chips as they don't impart much flavor and the chunks don't burn up as fast) to flavor. Sounds like you'll have fun with it.

I use mine to do a smoked turkey at Thanksgiving (brine first - ask for recipe if you want it)

I also do beer butt chickens

smoked pork butt

smoked brined chicken

ribs

fish

I want to try corned beef in the smoker

smoked bread (just place cut up pieces of a baguette in and leave it for an hour or so - remove it and place a slice of havarti on top and grill, closing the lid for a few minutes to melt it - DEVINE!)

Smoke some whole tomatoes for a different dimension to salsa

The list goes on!

Looks Good on the Webpage

I've never used or known anyone who used this type. But it looks good & seems the popularity for that type is growing - I've seen them at Academy & Gander Mountain.;)

I am curious to know how they perform.

Cajun - I assume you're talking about this which is gas powered?

And, Jeekinz, when you mention a "side fire box" I assume that is a wood/charcoal grill/smoker since gas grills/smokers have no need for a "side fire box". I'm guessing your Chargriller is perhaps similar to one of these models?

Humm ... apples and oranges .... and I'll throw in avacados - the electric smokers!

Each has it's advantages - and disadvantages .....

FWIW: My preference is a wood fired smoker (similar to the one Uncle Bob has) - weights about 1,000 lbs and cost about $1,200. Needless to say ... I'm still smoking on an old Brinkman water smoker .... :mad:
For my money, Michael, unless you have to cook for an awful lot of people, you just can't beat one of the Brinkman water smokers. Don't you think so, too? Otherwise I am sure you would have switched long ago.

Mine was "appropriated" by someone who needed it more than I did, so now I am looking for the new Brinkmans on the market. Wish I could figure out how to post a picture or two, to show you a turkey or two that I have smoked on Brinkmans. Wonderful product for not a lot of money.:chef:

Go with the King Kooker

The King Kooker Smoker is a good gas powered, low pressure smoker. No need to get the High Pressure model, you don't need 54,000 BTUs to slow cook meat. The front door design allows for quick meat rotation. It's not the hardiest construction, but for home cooking and given the price it should suit you fine.

Compare the design to this workhorse From Cookshack and you'll some similarities. Do a search for "Cookshack - AmeriQue Smoker"

And I also must agree with pugger, the New Braunfels Hondo. It's a pain. You have to really baby it.

I will never use anything besides a Weber Smokey Mountain! Affordable and excellent temp. control. I believe Weber is coming out with an even bigger version of it next year but it will be pretty pricey!

I will never use anything besides a Weber Smokey Mountain! Affordable and excellent temp. control. I believe Weber is coming out with an even bigger version of it next year but it will be pretty pricey!
I agree. I am trying to find an electric smoker here in Panamá. Chau, Marty

I built one with a non galvanized metal garbage can (new of course), an electric heating element and some barbeque grating. Look it up on YouTube and search for "GhettoQue". Makes the best chicken and ribs I've ever made. I plan on trying a brisket and pulled pork at some point this spring or summer.

I use a trash can smoker as well. I've never had one problem with it as far as making anyone sick with zinc poisoning as some ppl worry about. Now, I did use an American made trash can from Menard's which I think makes a difference. I've even had a dinner party and smoked a pork loin with my own root beer bbq sauce. Ppl RAVED about it.

Smokers

I had excellent results for years with a Coleman Electric Smoker. It is round, light, with multiple uses possible. I recommend it.

I use a 30 inch Masterbuilt electric smoker, it is set and forget You never need to open door, unless spritzing or wrapping in foil or moving the meat, you add chips through a separate loading system. it has remote, lets you turn on/off, monitor smoker or meat probe temps, also turn on the interior light.

I love this smoker, I would use nothing else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom