Deep Fried Hog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HWooldridge

Assistant Cook
I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. My son regularly harvests feral hogs and a few have been small enough to cook whole so we'd like to try deep frying one similar to a turkey (I already have the fryer and other equipment). Should I try injecting one with commercial marinades and deep frying at 3 minutes per pound or something similar?

Uncle Bob,

They go about 10-20 lbs for the small ones (after dressing). We have killed them up to 250 but I treat those like a commercial hog with regard to butchering.

Well I have eaten some very good "hog" and some that was very rank and mushy you couldn't eat it...
Never had it deep fried....At 15-20 lbs you may wanna "butterfly" ..cook one half at a time....Be sure to post your results...I would be interested in knowing how it turns out!

Merry Christmas!!

Well, basically I guess it is confit!!! But I just don't know if I could wrap my mind around that. Interesting!

While a confit is meat slowly cooked in fat, deep frying is cooking meat in fat at a higher temperature.

Looking forward to hearing your results.

Andy M. said:
While a confit is meat slowly cooked in fat, deep frying is cooking meat in fat at a higher temperature.

Looking forward to hearing your results.

I know ;o) Just trying to be cute and wasn't cuisine accurate.
I thought "confit of feral hog" had a nice ring to it. I'll bet we'll see it on a 3* menu before long.
I am about to do a Frank Stitt recipe that does call for confit of pork belly. Served with a pork butt addition.

In what sort of container and over what kind of heat source does one deep-fry a 20-pound anything?! My mental picture of trying to jam a miniature pig into my chips fryer just isn't working here. Was feral a typo? Do we mean fetal?!

Last edited:
Feral means wild Ayrton so this would be referring to a wild hog.

This page will show you pictures of frying rigs used to fry turkeys or other large things such as HWooldridge's hogs.

Yes please let us know how it turned out. I bet it was great!

Oh my god!! I have never in my life even heard of such a thing (that massive deep fryer) nor, of course, had I seen one.

Wow!!

Deep fried turkey has been the "in" thing for a few years here Ayrton. It cooks so quickly (we did a 16lb bird in about 30 minutes) and it comes out so juicy with a great crisp skin. I would imagine the hog would be much the same.

i love deep fried whole (or 1/2) turkeys or chickens. i would imagine a hog would be even better.

GB said:
Deep fried turkey has been the "in" thing for a few years here Ayrton. It cooks so quickly (we did a 16lb bird in about 30 minutes) and it comes out so juicy with a great crisp skin. I would imagine the hog would be much the same.
Well, I really found that fryer an eye-opener! Are you telling me that private homes own such things? Aren't they prohibitively expensive? (Yes, of course I could go back to that page you posted and get that answer myself!)

In any event, don't doubt it's delicious, just very surprised by the method!

[Edited to say that while you slept, GB, I did what I ought to have done, i.e. went back to that page and looked at prices. They're surprisingly affordable. Cool! Maybe I'll slip one into my suitcase on my next visit!]

Last edited:
Yes they are quite inexpensive, but it is important to get one that is well made. They can be amazingly dangerous if the proper precautions are not taken. After all, it is a 5 gallon vat of 350 degree oil. Many fires have been caused by cooking this way and not being careful.

HWooldridge said:
I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. My son regularly harvests feral hogs and a few have been small enough to cook whole so we'd like to try deep frying one similar to a turkey (I already have the fryer and other equipment). Should I try injecting one with commercial marinades and deep frying at 3 minutes per pound or something similar?

Hope we get some news on that fried hog today.

Ayrton said:
[Edited to say that while you slept, GB, I did what I ought to have done, i.e. went back to that page and looked at prices. They're surprisingly affordable. Cool! Maybe I'll slip one into my suitcase on my next visit!]

Aryton, you'd be the most popular man in Greece. :LOL: Start a side business and fry a few to sell.

My son frys meats all the time in his.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom