Duck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I am salivating Chops :LOL:

Since we are ahead of you time wise, we will have our Christmas lunch and then fly over to join you at yours, is that OK? :)

Kylie1969 said:
Now I am salivating Chops :LOL:

Since we are ahead of you time wise, we will have our Christmas lunch and then fly over to join you at yours, is that OK? :)

There you go. Except that it won't work out this year. My son and DIL have decided to do Christmas at their place and have turkey.

Oh, wait...maybe we will do duck for new years day. That gives you more time to get here! ;)

I usually cook a duck for thanksgiving and it has always been one of my favorite holiday choices. but since i'm by myself this thanksgiving, and still on the mend with my back, i had to come up with an alternate plan. my usual second place choice is pork loin roast. you know the one--with the scored and crispy skin on top? but no, i can't seem to let go of my craving for a thanksgiving duck.

whole foods sells a nice rotisserie ducking, with black cherry sauce. you can even buy a half-rotisserie duck that way. i had almost decided to go with that, when an add popped up on my computer for grub hut. well, i still don't know what their deal is, but from grub i found out that there are 42 restaurants listed in my area, ready to deliver almost any food i might fancy to my doorstep--wow! i'm still marveling over this epiphany two days later! ain't technology wunnerful though?

okay, after perusing literally dozens of menus online, i came across this Asian restaurant that caters to uva students (well, they all do) and offer Chinese, Japanese and Korean cuisine--lots of sashimi and sushi and stuff....and DUCK--of course! Chinese peking duck is what i'll be having on thanksgiving day! with pancakes and i don't know what else. i'm so psyched about this turn of events and my peking duck. i will be back to tell you all about it on Thursday--well, maybe Friday. i hope everyone here has a wonderful holiday this thanksgiving, one with all the trimmings! :)

Son #2 loves Peking Duck. If my sister didn't make one every year for his birthday, he would order one from a Chinese restaurant in town. :angel:

Son #2 loves Peking Duck. If my sister didn't make one every year for his birthday, he would order one from a Chinese restaurant in town. :angel:

Your sister's a trooper! I've only made Peking Duck once, with all of the traditional items that go with it, served in courses. It was so much work, especially sewing up the skin and inflating it, then painting it with the honey glaze so many times, and air drying between each coat.

She made that every year? You son is very lucky to have such a good aunt.

I'd like to have duck again. My DW insists on an oven-baked turkey for Thanksgiving. I may have to cook one when it's not for a special holiday. I'll have to make something else for her though. But that's ok, more for me. But yu can bet, it won't be Peking Duck.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Your sister's a trooper! I've only made Peking Duck once, with all of the traditional items that go with it, served in courses. It was so much work, especially sewing up the skin and inflating it, then painting it with the honey glaze so many times, and air drying between each coat.

She made that every year? You son is very lucky to have such a good aunt.

I'd like to have duck again. My DW insists on an oven-baked turkey for Thanksgiving. I may have to cook one when it's not for a special holiday. I'll have to make something else for her though. But that's ok, more for me. But yu can bet, it won't be Peking Duck.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had a houseful of company. It was Christmas day. All of a sudden in the middle of getting dinner ready, Son #2 decided to come for dinner. My sister delivered him. About a half hour later I got up and finished making dinner while he layed in the bassinet wrapped in newspaper over the hot air register. I chose her to be his godmother. So my son was always very special to her. And she to him. He always made it a point to go to her house during every winter storm to make sure she didn't have to do any shoveling. Anytime he heard that she was ill, he made it a point to run all her errands for her. She only got to do the duck about five times before she got so sick, she had to stop cooking for even herself.

She too had four kids at the time. When her oldest son was killed in a Christmas holiday crash, both of my boys were there at her side to help her any way they could. Four days prior, she had had a major fire in her home. She was the one who let son #2 know he had a birthday when he was seven years old.

She had given him two presents. One wrapped in Christmas paper and one in birthday paper. He asker her if she ran out of Christmas paper. That is when he found out his birthday was Christmas. He never knew he had one. :angel:

Somebody dug up the duck topic again. :) Just as well, you've reminded me I have a couple duck leg quarters in the freezer, just wating for that day when I gotta have duck and don't wanna drive. Evidently Thanksgiving for me will be rack of lamb... Maybe I should throw in the duck legs too. Gotta get my protein you know....

Somebody dug up the duck topic again. :) Just as well, you've reminded me I have a couple duck leg quarters in the freezer, just wating for that day when I gotta have duck and don't wanna drive. Evidently Thanksgiving for me will be rack of lamb... Maybe I should throw in the duck legs too. Gotta get my protein you know....

even with just their legs, ducks will gamely fly....:)

FrankZ said:
Duck was on sale! Duck was on sale!

I have a duck in the freezer!

*ahem*: "Happy Duck Day to You, Happy Duck Day to You, Happy Duck Day, Dear Frank and Kathleen, Happy Duck Day to You!"

Duck was on sale! Duck was on sale!

I have a duck in the freezer!

Who cares when duck is on sale? When I wanna duck I wanna duck! Get out the Gran Mariner and start stabbing the damned thing so its fat will leak out, and start early because a good duck takes a long time. ;) :yum:

i do! i cares about when ducks is on sale, i've been waiting all my life for that oft-rumored day to arrive. my hope is kept alive by sightings such as frank's, right around thanksgiving season--i remain a believer in duck sale mythology....

Let's see, I need to go to the store today and turkeys are on sale. Maybe ducks will be on sale here too. I cleaned out the freezer and there is room for an extra turkey and a duck or two.......

Obviously I care. When it is on sale it is an extra good reason to buy one to store. If they have the fresh ones this weekend I might get one of those too.

Obviously I care. When it is on sale it is an extra good reason to buy one to store. If they have the fresh ones this weekend I might get one of those too.

I don't care because I live in a place with about 200-300 square feet and if I wanted a freezer I would have to put it in the parking lot and run an extension cord. And any drive by could help themself to my freezer.

I was admiring deep freezers at Lowe's yesterday and found a perfect size for about $219-$239. I'm gonna get it as soon as I have a garage.

I think a freezer like this and a Costco membership could pay off in just one year! (I'm including electricity in my guesstimate.)

My neighbor who has a Costco membership took me shopping a couple days ago, and I decided to join the next time I wanna go over there. I've been "guest shopping" for years but I guess it's time to pay my dues... For the ability to go shopping alone! :)

Back
Top Bottom