For those who like to use the smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cook it at 225-250 until it reaches an internal temp of 200-205.

Pork may be done at 160-190, but it ain't bbq or pullable. Or if you can reach in and pull the bone out of the butt, it's done.

You can cook it in a crock pot, but it ain't BBQ!

I stick a fork in it and twist - if it twists easy it can be pulled. Never had a problem with the poked holes having the juices run out on the pork butt. I also do like another said, do not trim and put it fat side up.

I usually keep the smoker at 215-225, 225 being the target, and start checking after 6 hours every 1.5 hours.

I recently did 4 shoulders (I normally only do one at a time). I figured that I would just cook until the largest was done and the others would be good (two at 6.5, on at 7 and one at 7.5 pounds). It's hard to over cook the shoulder. Anyway when the largest was done I took them off. Two - a 6.5 and the 7 pounder fell apart taking them off the grill, one of the 6.5 pounders I could barely pull, and the 7.5 pounder was perfect. I pulled the tough one first and thought I had REALLY miscalculated the fork twist in the 7.5 pounder.

So, I never could figure out why. I just assume that the individual piece of meat matters quite a bit in factoring how easy it is to pull. I've noticed some single ones I cooked for a LONG time and never got real easy to pull, others were at the 6 hour mark. The above experience made me decide that it is the piece of meat as it was the only variable in what I did.

Sometimes certain butts will not pull easy no matter how long you cook them. has something to do with what they fed the hogs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom