"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Thumbs up How to make your liquid smoke flavoring

HILLBILLY LIQUID SMOKE
This is an all natural way of making a smoke flavor. I have tried it and it works great. if you grill with hickory or oak chips this will work great never treid it with any thing else. DO NOT USE WOOD CHIPS THAT HAVE HAD STARTER FLUID USED ON THEM !!!!!!!

  • AFTER YOU HAVE USED YOUR CHIPS TO COOK ON YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME LEFT IN THE GRILL THAT DID NOT BURN UP ALL THE WAY COLLECT ONE POUND OF THESE .
  • GO ASK YOUR WIFE FOR A CLEAN PILLOW CASE THAT SHE WILL NEVER WANT BACK.
  • PUT BURNT CHIPS IN PILLOW CASE AND BRING ENOUGH WATER TO COVER CHIPS TO A BOIL (OUTSIDE PLEASE)
  • PLACE PILLOW CASE WITH CHIPS IN THE BOILING WATER LET STAY IN WATER FOR THIRTY TO FORTY-FIVE MINUTES( WATER WILL TURN A REDDISH BROWN THAT IS HOW YOU KNOW IT HAS BOILED LONG ENOUGH.
  • LET STAND UNTIL COOL . REMOVE CHIPS AND PILLOW CASE. DRAIN PILLOW CASE OF ALL LIQUIDS AND DISCARD CHIPS.
  • TURN HEAT BACK ON AND REDUCE LIQUID TO ONE THIRD OF WHAT YOU HAVE .
  • LET COOL AND BOTTLE .... IF IT HAS A BITTER TASTE ADD HONEY OR MOLASSES UNTIL BITTER IS GONE .

smokerjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokerjoker View Post
GO ASK YOUR WIFE FOR A CLEAN PILLOW CASE THAT SHE WILL NEVER WANT BACK.
A good hillbilly knows not to upset the missus by ruining the bed sheets without permission

This method is definitely getting forwarded to the grill master at our house (we have pillow cases to spare).
chynablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
YT2095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central UK.
Posts: 3,875
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
another way (that will also exclude the bitter tannins and terpenes from the raw wood), is you shove a block of Ice onto a shallow SS pan and throw that into the smoker on Full, the aromatic particles will condense to the ice in preference to anything else and drip down into the pan, no need to ruin Anyones bedware or get horrible tastes ;)

it`s not exactly Hillbilly style, but what we Chemists would call Closed System Distillation

edit: non the less, YeeHaw Jethro!
__________________
Katherine Snow. xx
YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
another way (that will also exclude the bitter tannins and terpenes from the raw wood), is you shove a block of Ice onto a shallow SS pan and throw that into the smoker on Full, the aromatic particles will condense to the ice in preference to anything else and drip down into the pan, no need to ruin Anyones bedware or get horrible tastes ;)

it`s not exactly Hillbilly style, but what we Chemists would call Closed System Distillation

edit: non the less, YeeHaw Jethro!
What an awesome post! Isnít science grand! Youíre going to make Alton Brown jealous if you keep this up!

I donít think Iíll ever have a need for this technique, but Iím absolutely thrilled to have this knowledge anyway!! Thanks for posting this!

Hmmmm......can you imagine what the neighbors would think if they saw you loading up a big block of ice into your smoker?!?!?! The guys in the white jackets would be there in no time!
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
GrillingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 2,223
Alton's method involved a tall chimney with inverted pie plates...
He didn't get much liquid smoke, either!
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
YT2095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central UK.
Posts: 3,875
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
The guys in the white jackets would be there in no time!
I wear a White "Jacket" / Lab coat anyway, they will Fear Me!

I think One of the days, I`ll have to return to this thread with some Pictures of How you would do it Correctly! proper distillation with Pyrex Lab glassware just to see if it can be done, I`ve distilled wood and coal and other things before so Hickory chips shouldn`t be a problem and may be good for a giggle :)

my only concern is that wood alcohol is quite flammable and also Toxic! so I may have to dismiss the 1`st two fractions of the distillate.

and Who is this Alton person???
sounds like the plates were for a fractionation column perhaps?
__________________
Katherine Snow. xx
YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
and Who is this Alton person???
sounds like the plates were for a fractionation column perhaps?
You havenít heard of Alton Brown? Heís a host of a show on the Food Network channel called Good Eats. He also does other shows, but Good East is what heís famous for. On Good Eats, he takes a very scientific approach to cooking, and will often explain things at the molecular level. Heís also whacky, and darn near certifiable.....but funny and entertaining none-the-less. Itís a very fascinating show.
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,265
keltin, I don't think the UK has the same programming the US has.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
keltin, I don't think the UK has the same programming the US has.
Hmmmmm......youíre probably right, I just assumed that since itís on cable, it got beamed all over the world.
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,265
Nope, we have lots of Canadian shows on our cable that you poor folks will never see. I'm guessing you don't know who Michael Smith is, although he is quite a popular chef on Food TV here. (I'm also betting you haven't seen Trailer Park Boys on TV and that is a crying shame!)
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Nope, we have lots of Canadian shows on our cable that you poor folks will never see. I'm guessing you don't know who Michael Smith is, although he is quite a popular chef on Food TV here. (I'm also betting you haven't seen Trailer Park Boys on TV and that is a crying shame!)
Youíre right, I havenít heard of that Chef or that show. Whatís trailer Park boys about? Sounds like itís probably funny?
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
YT2095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central UK.
Posts: 3,875
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Whatís trailer Park boys about? Sounds like itís probably funny?
I can guess, and it probably involves NOT asking their respective partners if they can have the pillowcases :D
__________________
Katherine Snow. xx
YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Head Chef
 
GrillingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 2,223
Let's see if I remember how Alton did it...
He had a 5 foot chimney on top of a ceramic backyard cooker.
On top of the chimney he placed a bundt cake pan, with the hole in the center.
That got topped with a pie plate, upon which was placed a bag of ice.

Smoke hit the cold tin, condensed into the bundt cake pan.
Instant liquid smoke!
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,515
I live very near an Agricultural Experiment Station. In the very early spring they bring in 5000 gallons of this stuff, cut it with water and use it as a cattle spray for black flies, knats, and the like. They also use it full strength as a sheep dip for all of the spring lambs. I take my dog up there each spring and dip him for fleas and ticks, and It last all year long until the next spring!! After that they use it to treat fence post. It will double the life of a fence post after soaking for 1 hour. If a post happens to made out of Mesquite it will last longer than the dirt it is in

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I live very near an Agricultural Experiment Station. In the very early spring they bring in 5000 gallons of this stuff, cut it with water and use it as a cattle spray for black flies, knats, and the like. They also use it full strength as a sheep dip for all of the spring lambs. I take my dog up there each spring and dip him for fleas and ticks, and It last all year long until the next spring!! After that they use it to treat fence post. It will double the life of a fence post after soaking for 1 hour. If a post happens to made out of Mesquite it will last longer than the dirt it is in
Creosote is some powerful and magical stuff!! Hundreds of known uses and still counting!
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
Sous Chef
 
JillBurgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I live very near an Agricultural Experiment Station. In the very early spring they bring in 5000 gallons of this stuff, cut it with water and use it as a cattle spray for black flies, knats, and the like. They also use it full strength as a sheep dip for all of the spring lambs. I take my dog up there each spring and dip him for fleas and ticks, and It last all year long until the next spring!! After that they use it to treat fence post. It will double the life of a fence post after soaking for 1 hour. If a post happens to made out of Mesquite it will last longer than the dirt it is in
Wait a minute... are you saying you smoke your pup?? So does he smell like bacon all season? You think your dog licks himself a lot now/ Look out!!

Seriously, though...
If the liquid smoke acts as an insect repellent, would this be a safe choice for spraying my garden plants to protect them from bugs?
__________________
JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Wait a minute... are you saying you smoke your pup?? So does he smell like bacon all season? You think your dog licks himself a lot now/ Look out!!

Seriously, though...
If the liquid smoke acts as an insect repellent, would this be a safe choice for spraying my garden plants to protect them from bugs?
Miss Jill...

The is/was strictly tongue-n-cheek satire on my part...I personally don't care for Liquid Smoke or any product that contains it. Also, I personally don't care for the mesquite wood flavor/smoke during slow cooking methods...It does do a good when used to grill...producing very hot coals.

Anyway...I assume no responsibility for your garden plants should you choose Liquid Smoke as an insect repellent..... Rather I would recommend you contact your local Garden Center for advice as to the proper insect repellents for your garden.
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #18
Sous Chef
 
JillBurgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Steelers Country
Posts: 597
__________________
JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.