Need idea for a BBQ side dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about an antipasto platter? You can go as gourmet as you like with it. Lots of veges and cheeses as well as some of the cold meats. It can be as complex as your imagination and budget allow.

Well, you could do a peach cobbler. If that is too complicated, you could do a peach shortcake type thing - get some frozen peaches and macerate overnight (put the peaches in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar), or just use canned sliced peaches, get some pound cake from the bakery at your grocery store and slice about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick - top with some peaches and juice, and a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

A big bowl of Garlic olives. Black and stuffed green olives in red wine vinegar and slixced geen onions and some fresh minced garlic and a spoon full of garlic/redpepper paste for a little kick

ABTS ....
or Atomic Buffalo Turds ...
eeryone expects them when i have a cook out or show up to one ...

Hopefully that's not the ... end product... of the BBQ. Though I'm curious too.

PEA SALAD or Trinidad Potato Salad

Just make some Pea Salad. I use frozen peas and let them thaw (I don't cook them for that extra little crunch), then add mayo, chopped tomato, chopped red onion or green onions, some cubed sharp cheddar cheese, or whatever cheese you like, celery. If you want a kick, you can add some chopped jalepeno pepper. Mix it all together and chill. Add whatever you like.

I am not listing the amounts because it depends on how much you are making

A friend from Trinidad gave me this recipe years ago. It is really unique and easy.

Trinidad Potato Salad

Cooked cubed potatoes
Mayo
Chopped onion
Frozen peas (about 1/4 cup to every 2 cups of potatoes)
Salt and pepper
Angostora Drink Bitters

Mix the first 5 ingredients in bowl then splash in enough of the drink bitters to make the mayonnaise pink. Chill.

not sure where the name came from ..
what they are though ..
take jalapenos cut off the top and clean ribs and seeds out ..
take a package of cream cheese and mix with 1lb cooked breakfast
sausage or if you have left over pulled pork that works well ..
stuff cream cheese mixture into peppers and then wrap
with bacon .. put a toothpick through them to hold the
bacon in place ...
grill indirectly for 25-35 mins. or until the bacon is crisp ..
make a lot of them .. they go fast .. and are good heated up
the next day ..

look like this before going on ...

Attachments

• DSC_0022 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0022 (Small).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 306
not sure where the name came from ..
what they are though ..
take jalapenos cut off the top and clean ribs and seeds out ..
take a package of cream cheese and mix with 1lb cooked breakfast
sausage or if you have left over pulled pork that works well ..
stuff cream cheese mixture into peppers and then wrap
with bacon .. put a toothpick through them to hold the
bacon in place ...
grill indirectly for 25-35 mins. or until the bacon is crisp ..
make a lot of them .. they go fast .. and are good heated up
the next day ..

A friend of mine makes these wrapping them with a very thin slice of venison (equivalent to flank steak) that has been marinated in pineapple juice versus the bacon - they are awesome! I don't think he uses any sausage though - just the jalapeño chunk with pineapple piece and then wrapped, toothpick holds together, then grilled. So many variations - so little time......:LOL:

Isn't there a version where a small cocktail weiner is placed in the cream cheese...maybe bacon wrapped too...I think Qsis (Miss Lee) said something about them one time...I've never made them.....but sounded interesting...

Isn't there a version where a small cocktail weiner is placed in the cream cheese...maybe bacon wrapped too...I think Qsis (Miss Lee) said something about them one time...I've never made them.....but sounded interesting...

Yep - that is yet another version. We need to have an ABT cook-off - UB, get the coals ready!!!!

I was leafing through one of those old "throwaway" recipe magazines this morning and found a recipe that I will absolutely make the next time I have a bunch of people over for a barbecue (which will be in just a few weeks):

Black Bean and Rice Stuffed Peppers

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup cooked white rice
4 medium green onions, sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 TBS vegetable oil
2 TBS lime juice
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt
3 large bell peppers (1 green, one yellow, 1 red) cut lengthwise in half and seeds removed
1 roma tomato, diced

Mix rice, beans, onions, cilantro, oil, lime juice, garlic and salt. Fill peppers with bean mixture and wrap in foil. Put on grill for about 20-30 minutes until done. (Or, you could cook them in the oven). Garnish with chopped tomato and additional cilantro

I think these sound really good. Think I will add more garlic and maybe some cheese would be a nice addition as well.

i often make a mac salad , with a mexican flair.
diced green chilis
cheese grated
taco seasoning
mac. cooked
onions
little mayo
anything else u like can be put in it.
chopped red or green peppers
olives, chopped

better made the night before.
when serving may need to add bit more mayo

made this once for a bbq and grandson said "grandma u could sell this" high praise indeed!

babe:chef::chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom