What's on the Grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks.
Chicken thighs... some with the "pope's nose" still attached.

Ha! Pac, "I always thought "the Pope's nose" reference was Canadian, as I had never heard it at least not that I remembered until I met Mr. Bunny....hmmmm. The things you learn on DC!

That's what my mother and her side of the family called it. And that's what I call it :)

Let me see, Fi ;)
Those are two avocado halves that were grilled, then flipped over and some corn & black bean salsa spooned in.

Some time back, I tried to find recipes that included cooked avocado. There just weren't any. I guess I should have just tossed them on the grill. Does the flesh get really soft when cooked? How does the flavor change? I read that cooking avo made it bitter.

Some time back, I tried to find recipes that included cooked avocado. There just weren't any. I guess I should have just tossed them on the grill. Does the flesh get really soft when cooked? How does the flavor change? I read that cooking avo made it bitter.

This is the only way I have ever eaten avocado, so have nothing to compare it to. They don't taste bitter to me. Really, I don't think they have much taste at all.
The flesh does get soft. I brush with oil and maybe lemon or lime juice, sometimes nothing, and you can watch the skin changing color as they cook. Kind of like a thermometer rising the way the changing color creeps from the cut half on the grill towards the top of the avocado. They probably take a good 15 minutes or longer.
IMO it's all about the salsa inside :yum: but I do scoop the fruit.

I have heard an English friend refer to it as the parson's nose. Apparently in North Africa it is the sultan's nose.

There for a while it seemed all the Catholic popes' noses were long and came to a sharp point. That's why I thought my family called it that, being Catholic.
Who knew associating a chicken's butt with authority figures' noses was global? :LOL:

Let me see, Fi ;)
Those are two avocado halves that were grilled, then flipped over and some corn & black bean salsa spooned in.

I thought so, but wasn't positive. Yum. I love avocado, often just cut and eat with a little salt.

Andy, I float slices or chunks of avocado in my tortilla soup or diced onto the meat on a tostada. So it's not cooked, but warmed. I've also just spread it on toast like butter.

I thought so, but wasn't positive. Yum. I love avocado, often just cut and eat with a little salt.

Andy, I float slices or chunks of avocado in my tortilla soup or diced onto the meat on a tostada. So it's not cooked, but warmed. I've also just spread it on toast like butter.

I just eat it out of its natural "dish" with a bit of hot sauce and a spoon. Yum!

The stores around here seem to have an aversion to offering ripe avos. You have to buy them and take them home for a several days before they are edible.

The stores around here seem to have an aversion to offering ripe avos. You have to buy them and take them home for a several days before they are edible.

Put them in a paper bag with a banana, they'll ripen faster. I'm getting adept at picking them out so they ripen in sequence so I can eat them just right each day. I buy them 5 at a time when they are good.

We have to do that here too. And it's still hit or miss.

Love the avos in Mexico, in the summer, you can get them the size of your head! They're smooth-skinned, not the pebbly Haas.

Put them in a paper bag with a banana, they'll ripen faster. I'm getting adept at picking them out so they ripen in sequence so I can eat them just right each day. I buy them 5 at a time when they are good.

I know that trick. Sometimes I just want it NOW!

My mum always used to serve avocado with salad dressing in the hole where the pit was. I do that sometimes.

I was at the grocery store many years ago. A lady was testing the avocados for ripeness with her thumb. :wacko:

Before I even thought about it I said, "Don't do that!" Oh, I felt silly. Linda, you real stuck your foot in it this time. But, she replied, "No? How am I supposed to check for ripeness?" I replied (very relieved that she didn't seem offended), "Put it in the palm of your hand and squeeze gently with your whole hand. Using a single finger makes a bruised, soft spot." "Oh, thank you." and then she went on to use my method. :)

I know that trick. Sometimes I just want it NOW!

Then you need to pick the right one...:LOL: I know it's hard to be spontaneous when it comes to avocados, especially if you live where they need to be trucked in. Sometimes we get whole loads that are ripe NOW and by them time you get them home it's too late.

Cooking dinner on the grill.

Attachments

• grilled pinoy, corn, zucch.jpg
    grilled pinoy, corn, zucch.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 213
Back
Top Bottom