"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wok cooking in cold weather

Have any of you cooked outside with a wok outside in folder weather? I am talking below freezing. Obviously my flat top 10 year old range doesn't make enough heat to really use a wok, so outside it is. And I live in Iowa, so colder temps are coming.

Anyone have any tips?

Melvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have never broken out my big kahuna burner in the middle of winter, but I have grilled many times. I'm sure that the 50k burner you were talking about using would be plenty hot to be able to stir fry, even with cold outside temperatures. Just get the food back inside quickly! Or maybe have a warmed up, heavy dish, like ceramic or CI, to carry the cooked food in.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Nope, I haven’t. I put my grills, smoker, and outdoor camp stove away for the winter. For me, I rather do my cooking indoors in the winter.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Nope, I haven’t. I put my grills, smoker, and outdoor camp stove away for the winter. For me, I rather do my cooking indoors in the winter.
I use my smoker in the winter almost as much as in the summer. I have been known to shovel a path to my smoker before my sidewalk.

I am thinking I can start a small charge of charcoal and put it in the offset box and warm the smoker for holding parts/pieces of dishes between batches using the wok in the winter.

With how I am going to build my wok cooking setup, it isn't going to be mobile. But right now, I am debating on making a dual burner wok cooking setup and building a flat top griddle to go with it as well.
Melvang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking