Another 3-2-1 question...Foil vs oven bags...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacardi

Senior Cook
I know traditionally you're suppose to use foil for the 3-2-1 method...I've had problems with it sealing...If I use the heavy duty foil, I have better sealing results, but still doesn't seem to seal 100%...

Got to thinking, what about those plastic oven bags? Those seal 100%, would those work better than foil? Anyone ever try them?

I haven't tried the bags, but I've never had a loose seal with foil. I'm pretty sure any juice could seep out if I turned it upside down, but it holds the steam in pretty well.
I wrap it up like butchers use freezer paper. Let's say you tear off a piece 12" width by 24" long. Lay the ribs on it, bring the two long sides together and keep folding them together until you're fairly snug against the ribs. Then fold up each end. If you've ever gotten meat wrapped up in paper from a butcher, that's pretty much the same technique. Add juice in one end before it's folded if you want.
Gotta keep those tin foil companies in business (lol).

What pacanis said.

I do that quickly and un-carefully, so my packets may very well leak some steam. Never noticed a problem with it.

Lee

Just curious if anyone HAS ever used oven bags to see if there is any difference...

Probably do some experimenting in the beginning of the new year...

How about another player in the game? Reynolds makes "Hot Bags". They are a pouch made of heavy foil. They seal very well.

If you can cook a turkey in an oven bag, why not ribs?

Because I am new and still learning, would someone please tell me what the 3 2 1 method is?

Thank You

AC

It's a BBQ method; 3 hours on the Q, typically with your rub on, 2 hours wrapped in foil, sometimes with liquid added, 1 hour back on the Q and you sauce at this point if you want to. The times can be adjusted, like if you were doing babybacks instead of the larger spare ribs, or short ribs, but there's still three stages.

I haven't used oven bags and wouldn't. Cooking in plastic just does not sound appetizing to me.

Cooking in reactive aluminum that I can't even to get to seal properly doesn't appeal to me :) If you buy ribs at the supermarket, they have been exposed to plastic due to the packaging...

For the record, I know I CAN do it...Good thinking with the oven foil bag for the sealing...

Logically it seems that a oven bag would be more effective device than foil...I would think the foil reflects heat would reflect more heat and be difficult to completely form an air tight seal...So an oven bagged 3-2-1 rib, should be a little more tender...How much? That is the question...

I think foil also helps reflect heat back in, otherwise how would those flimsy space blankets work. They are shiny on both sides just like aluminum foil.
Give it a try though. I don't see why it wouldn't work.... in an oven anyway.

Bacardi, what are your ribs like when they are done? Are they tough??? Two hours in foil, even with steam leaks, should yield ribs that are pretty close to falling off the bone.

I only foil ribs for an hour these days (or not at all), since HD foil is TOO effective in steaming them. I don't like ribs falling off the bone.

Lee

Bacardi, what are your ribs like when they are done? Are they tough??? Two hours in foil, even with steam leaks, should yield ribs that are pretty close to falling off the bone.

I only foil ribs for an hour these days (or not at all), since HD foil is TOO effective in steaming them. I don't like ribs falling off the bone.

Lee

They're falling off the bone, the way I like them.

I'm wondering if the foil retards the cooking process more than an oven bag...Thinking with an oven bag, if I could have 3-2-1 textured ribs ready an hour sooner

Foiling ribs will gain you about an hour in cook time....

A 100% Seal is not necessary to achieve the results you want....

I almost never foil...When/If I do....45 minutes tops....No more!!!!!

Bacardi said:
Thinking with an oven bag, if I could have 3-2-1 textured ribs ready an hour sooner

What's the hurry???

Foiling ribs will gain you about an hour in cook time....

A 100% Seal is not necessary to achieve the results you want....

I almost never foil...When/If I do....45 minutes tops....No more!!!!!

What's the hurry???

My hurry? I'm generation Y, lol! We require instant gratification! Also I do have an electric smoker, therefore knocking an hour off may lower my electric bill 63 cents!

Everyone seems to evade the point...

Would an oven bag knock lets say an hour off the cooking time? :)

I don't think anyone is evading the question/point ------- I don't think anyone (so far) knows the answer....I would guess the bag may work as well as the foil...knocking off about an hour of cook time....Why don't you give it a trial run and let everyone know the results .... If you have time........

Have Fun!!

What's the problem? throw some foil around the ribs and be done with it. No pure seal, so what? quick tip, don't load too many ribs in foil. I tend to do 3 half slabs or two whole slabs in foil. Most of the times it takes two layers of foil. I've never worried about a perfect seal.

If your ribs aren't coming out well because you think the foil isn't sealed then you are doing it wrong

What's the problem? throw some foil around the ribs and be done with it. No pure seal, so what? quick tip, don't load too many ribs in foil. I tend to do 3 half slabs or two whole slabs in foil. Most of the times it takes two layers of foil. I've never worried about a perfect seal.

If your ribs aren't coming out well because you think the foil isn't sealed then you are doing it wrong

The problem is that no one is reading the entire thread, lol...My ribs are coming out great...I think I can shave some time off by using plastic vs foil and wanted to know if anyone has tried it... :)

bacardi .. i dont see how using the oven bags would
reduce the time .. it seems they would do basically the
same thing as foil .. i have not tried it but i might ..

bacardi .. i dont see how using the oven bags would
reduce the time .. it seems they would do basically the
same thing as foil .. i have not tried it but i might ..

As I've said in the tread already...

My thoughts, which may logical sense but may not be accurate...

Foil doesn't yield a 100% seal, waste of efficiency...Foil reflects heat...
Plastic bag yields a 100% seal and doesn't reflect any energy...

And again, as I said in post four, I'm going to try it during my next smoking session and post the outcome...

Back
Top Bottom