BBQ Grand Salami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Yesterday the Pit ate some tasso and andouille. Today, besides the butt and chaurice, I decided to throw a 17# fresh turkey into the mix. After brining all night, the bird is in right now and in about an hour I'll rub the butt (injected it earlier) and then it will go in the Pit. After those are done and I can lower the Pit temp, the chaurice will go in. Still have to grind it and stuff it into the casing.

If that doesn't qualify as a "grand Slam", I have no clue what does.:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Heya Craigsy, what is chaurice?

I think I dated a girl named Chaurice. Nice tassos.

No butt rubbing, though.

Ok, but seriously, what is it?

Chaurice, according to Emeril L. is a sort of Spanish style Chorizo, but not hard. Although I've never tried it, he claims it can be subbed for Andouille. We've made it before, I just can't remember the taste. I'm going to put off making the Boudin (I forgot to defrost the pork liver) until next weekend.

The finished bird!

36788-albums1032-picture6724.jpg

Lovely indeed. I don't have outdoor access so we don't have a smoker setup (YET!) but I do have a stovetop smoker, one of the highlights of our Thanksgiving feast was my smoked beet salad. Have you ever tried, with your large smoker, smoking a pumpkin? That is one thing I would love to try, I imagine smoked pumpkin pie would be quite the treat.

I do know smoked beets is one of my favorite vegetable preparations. The beets get nice and tender, they have a natural sweetness, but the smokey ups the savory and umani notes in them.

We often resign smoking just to meats, and I agree nothing better in my stovetop smoker than some nice fishies, but vegetables deserve smoke too!

TBS

No pumpkin, I don't like it. Now if you want to talk ABTs, I'm game. They are sort of a vegetable.:angel:

No pumpkin, I don't like it. Now if you want to talk ABTs, I'm game. They are sort of a vegetable.:angel:

I like pumpkin quite a bit, as does Beloved Wife. We are still apartment based, so we are working on limited physical resources, but I swear, one of these days I will persuade one of you house dwellers with backyards to either smoke, barbecue, or deep fry a pumpkin.

hey if isn't your thing, no worries. Gourds, we could start you on gourds, though they are the gateway drug to pumpkins...

ABT?

TBS

I like pumpkin quite a bit, as does Beloved Wife. We are still apartment based, so we are working on limited physical resources, but I swear, one of these days I will persuade one of you house dwellers with backyards to either smoke, barbecue, or deep fry a pumpkin.

hey if isn't your thing, no worries. Gourds, we could start you on gourds, though they are the gateway drug to pumpkins...

ABT?

TBS

Atomic Buffalo Turd. Oh, I used a combo of pecan, oak and cheery.

I did not know this was a thing.

My stovetop smoker will be producing turds.

Is there a specific recipe? Or can I just stuff a pepper with anything I have about, wrap it in turkey bacon (Beloved wife = jewish), and go?

Interesting new idea

Yrs,

TBS

The rest of the "salami".

Pork butt, now you see it.

36788-albums1032-picture6731.jpg

Now its pulled.

36788-albums1032-picture6732.jpg

Tasso.

36788-albums1032-picture6729.jpg

There were two trays of andouille, here is one.

36788-albums1032-picture6733.jpg

The unstuffed chaurice was kind of dry and lumpy, so I ran it through a smaller die and added merlot, mixing it in with the paddle in the KA. We decided not to smoke it, freezing it as fresh. I may smoke some of it later. I'm also debating about stuffing the boudin when I make it, since boudin balls seem to be very popular.

chaurice

36788-albums1032-picture6725.jpg

I tried Myron Mixon's process for the pork butt, it was good, but I'm going back to my way next time.

Last edited:
Craig, you are in this post making me feel bad for living in an apartment and not having a back yard!

I am gonna have to wait till our next camping trip, in January, until I have anything cooking wise that competes.

Also, marrying a Jewess, I am now constrained in that I can't use pork. I salivate at your pork butt (yeah I doubt you ever expected to hear that phrase).

It does look nice. Keep the bbq pit pictures coming, I am a fan.

TBS

I did not know this was a thing.

My stovetop smoker will be producing turds.

Is there a specific recipe? Or can I just stuff a pepper with anything I have about, wrap it in turkey bacon (Beloved wife = jewish), and go?

Interesting new idea

Yrs,

TBS

Since no one else has answered you, no there's not, and it doesn't even have to be cream cheese. It's sort of a make it your own kind of dish/appy. The idea has been around for a long time and it's quite a popular dish. There is even a holder for whole peppers so they can be cooked upright and not lose any cheese. Of, if you get really big jalapenos, you can cut them in half lengthwise, lay them on their side, stuff, wrap and bake them that way.

I think a standard should be established, then variations can go on from there.

An ABT is a large jalapeno that has been halved lengthwise, seeds and pith scraped out, then it is filled with cream cheese and a little smokey sausage, and the whole stuffed jalapeno is wrapped in bacon and smoked.

I think a standard should be established, then variations can go on from there.

An ABT is a large jalapeno that has been halved lengthwise, seeds and pith scraped out, then it is filled with cream cheese and a little smokey sausage, and the whole stuffed jalapeno is wrapped in bacon and smoked.

I need a different standard. I cut the top off and scoop out the guts. Also, many ABTs don't have a smoky in them.

Back
Top Bottom