Brisket dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
So in a nutshell.
The meat labeled "brisket" went on at 11:30. I was playing all day trying to shoot for a cooker temp of 225. When I finally got it down there, from around 240 it kept dropping, along with the meat temp, which was forever around 150-160. Six hours later I saw that my full charcoal ring only had about 20% of the charcoal left, which was put on minion style. I stirred it around and the temp started climbing above 218 again, so I went ahead and put some more charcoal on..... 240 was hit, the meat came back up to 160..... twenty minutes later the temp started to fall again :mad: Enter Mr Ducane :rolleyes:

The meat was transferred over on indirect. Immediately it started getting some nice color, other than the gray look it had before. Within an hour an internal temp of 192 was hit, so I pulled it off, wrapped it in foil, stuck a digital in it, and wrapped a towel around it. The temp never continued to rise :huh: 30 minutes later it was down to 185, so I decided it was time to eat.

The meat wasn't juicy, but it wasn't dry either. It did have a great flavor, but I certainly don't think it was worth all this bother. I am of the belief the same meat could have been had cooking indirect on my four burner Ducane :wacko:

From all said, I guess this was not a "true" brisket, maybe the point, maybe the flat. it was like a big 1" thick steak and the butcher I got my beef from had it labeled brisket. It did not have a fat cap, but had decent marbeling running throughout.
I also think the lump charcoal I was using, while rated high at Amazon, was a big part of my problem. From all I've read, a full ring is supposed to last a lot longer than what it did.

But! Dinner was good and this was the best crusty bread I've made so far!
We'll have to see how this brisket reheats. It just may find its way into chili.

Attachments

• brisket dinner.jpg
    brisket dinner.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 295
I think that bread looks all by itself worth the trouble!!!!!

Chili would be great I think.... or throw it in a crock-pot... thats what we did with our first screw-up.

looks pretty good for a first attempt ..
those small briskets can be very hard to cook ..
i layer bacon on them when i make them to make up for
the lack of fat cap .. but at least you got to eat it ..
my first one was more like beef jerky than anything else ..

The meat wasn't really a screw up, Suzi, but the method sure was. I'll admit though, I am not used to eating beef well done.

I took Joe V's advice on the NYT recipe and used 1/8c LESS water. Big improvement in the dough characteristic.

Thanks Q. It was certainly edible.
I'm looking forward to a beef sandwich later this morning.

Nice Pink Ring!

I've attempted brisket ONCE in my smoking career. I've been wanting to do another one, but the 12 - 18 cook time has me stymied.

Whenever I do smoke meat, I only use charcoal to get the fire going. After that, I'm a straight log-burner. I normally use a mix of pecan and oak. The only drawback is that I have to check the fire about once an hour.

Sorry, Fred, insert foot in mouth....
I didn't mean to say you screwed up.....

I'll be shutting up now.....
:)

Oh I definitely screwed up something. Smoking shouldn't be so hard.
It just wasn't the meat ;) Nothing my trusty Ducane couldn't fix. And I read a lot of folks starting on the Q, but having to finish in the oven, so I'm not alone anyway.
So let's just say I won't be entering any BBQ cooking competitions soon, or at all :LOL:

You might consider doing the majority of cooking in your oven and using the charcoal just to smoke it for a couple of hours.

Oh I definitely screwed up something. Smoking shouldn't be so hard.
It just wasn't the meat ;) Nothing my trusty Ducane couldn't fix. And I read a lot of folks starting on the Q, but having to finish in the oven, so I'm not alone anyway.
So let's just say I won't be entering any BBQ cooking competitions soon, or at all :LOL:

Don't sell yourself short Fred...For your first attempt at BBQ on a charcoal fired cooker you probably chose the most cantankerous, and challenging cut of meat (to do well) that there is. Every brisket I have ever done was an adventure!!;) My suggestion would be start with Chicken...legs quarters, split broilers, or spatchcock (butterflied) whole birds...all good eats and not much time on the fire. Then maybe some of your "neighborhood famous" boneless "ribs"...or loin back ribs, or thick cut pork steaks/ chops etc....next move to pork butts, spare ribs, etc. After a few hundred pounds of these you and your new cooker will become one:ermm:. You will know it well...What it will do...What it doesn't like to do and how to make it do what you want it to do...Remember this...The best BBQ is not cooked in some famous competition, or in some fancy restaurant, but rather in somebody's back yard...with practice it can be your back yard!!
Well....Except for my back yard!!!:)

Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

Good eats

... But! Dinner was good and this was the best crusty bread I've made so far! ...

attachment.php
That does look good!

The only improvement I can suggest is to plate two servings of brisket and skip the heart-healthy stuff... :LOL:

Tom

That does look good!

The only improvement I can suggest is to plate two servings of brisket and skip the heart-healthy stuff... :LOL:

Tom

lol, good point, Tom.
Usually I do need a separate dish for the veggies.

The best BBQ is not cooked in some famous competition, or in some fancy restaurant, but rather in somebody's back yard...

Amen Brother! Gimme a beer, some BBQ, some tater salad and coleslaw, and possibly some baked beans, and it's on!

I defintely need to make beans next time.
I'll have to hunt up a good recipe for cooking them in the smoker. I've seen them in pics and I think pinto beans are used. I've only made beans from scratch using navy beans.

Hi!!!!

This caught my eye because brisket is what I fixed for dinner last night. I can pretty much bet that my brisket was not near as good as yours. (I had to do mine in the oven.) Looks great pacanis!!!

Hi!!!!

This caught my eye because brisket is what I fixed for dinner last night. I can pretty much bet that my brisket was not near as good as yours. (I had to do mine in the oven.) Looks great pacanis!!!

Hey, thank you :)
Sorry I didn't say something earlier (obviously I've been on all day), but this wasn't showing up under new posts :huh:

I've never heard of brisket in the oven, anything special to do it that way?

Back
Top Bottom