Brisket Leftovers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettyR

Senior Cook
What can you do with leftover smoked brisket besides sandwiches?

We had our family gathering on Saturday to fit with everyone’s schedule. Now I’m left with a bunch of brisket and we are tired of brisket sandwiches.

Does anyone know of a recipe that uses leftover smoked beef?

Uses for Leftover Brisket:

Hearty beef quesadillas
Baked potatoes with salsa
Mexican pizzas
Chile con queso dip
Marinara sauce for pasta
Pinto beans
Flautas, tacos, burritos & enchiladas
Huevos rancheros
Omelets with onions and peppers​

Hash!...........

What is Hash?

I’m Cajun….I married a Texan and live in Texas. I know Creole cooking, down home Southern cooking and Tex-Mex but I’ve never heard of Hash. What is it and how do you make it?

What is Hash?

I’m Cajun….I married a Texan and live in Texas. I know Creole cooking, down home Southern cooking and Tex-Mex but I’ve never heard of Hash. What is it and how do you make it?

Hash - like corned beef hash or roast beef hash or red flannel hash (made with added beets). It's a mess of diced left over corned beef (for example), potato and onion seasoned and browned in a skillet or cast iron pan. It's a common breakfast here in the northeast served with a couple of poached or fried eggs on top.

Hash - like corned beef hash or roast beef hash or red flannel hash (made with added beets). It's a mess of diced left over corned beef (for example), potato and onion seasoned and browned in a skillet or cast iron pan. It's a common breakfast here in the northeast served with a couple of poached or fried eggs on top.

When I make hash browns I bake my potatoes the night before and stick them in the frig.

The next morning I cube them while I sweat my onions and peppers in some bacon grease and when the vegetables are soft I add the potatoes, turn up the heat and cook them until they are warmed though and are getting brown around the edges.

Is this how you cook hash or is it more like a stew?

Edited to add: I made Flautas tonight as LadyCook suggested and they were very good.

I have enough left for maybe one more meal…I may give the hash a try.

Last edited:
Yum! I love hash of any kind. Red flannel is tasty. Any hash I've ever had has been medium-moist, not dry. It's especially good with a poached or sunny-side-up fried egg on top as Andy M. mentioned. I could eat hash for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Betty, check out this Food Network recipe for hash. You could adapt to your purposes.

Last edited:
Yum! I love hash of any kind. Red flannel is tasty. Any hash I've ever had has been medium-moist, not dry. It's especially good with a poached or sunny-side-up fried egg on top as Andy M. mentioned. I could eat hash for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Betty, check out this Food Network recipe for hash. You could adapt to your purposes.

Thank you Miss Katie for the recipe link; that explains very well how to do it. I'll definitely give this a try...this sounds like something DH would really like. He's a real meat and potatoes kind of guy.

This is a good thread for me.
I was just looking at two big briskets in the freezer a couple days ago.... then I asked myself, what will I do with all the leftovers? :huh:

Guy Fieri makes a bbq sushi at Tex Wasabi; I did a variation of that, and it's very well received.

Get sushi rice and tapioca paper (spring roll wraps). Lightly wet the tapioca paper to soften it, and put a layer of sushi rice on it. Place chopped brisket in the middle, and roll it all up. Cut into 3/4" pieces and top each piece with a dollop of barbecue sauce.

It's good, and you actually eat less meat that way; 1-1 1/2 ounces is enough for the whole roll.

Use for filling for some sort of the dough things. Like Ravioly, Won Tons, Pirogy, Knishes.
There is another Ukrainian dish, mashed potato filled with ground meat and then fried. Yum.

Back
Top Bottom