Butt Bonanza!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Stop&Shop markets in my area are having a sale on bone-in pork butts @ $1.99/Lb. That's a very good price for around here so I ran out and bought three and tossed them into the freezer. I'll be eating pulled pork for quite a while.

Oh, I thought maybe you had been at the beach.:LOL:

Nice sale, I should check what ours are priced at.

Advice please Andy.

Shrek is no longer eating pork or beef. If I was able to find nicely priced Boston Butt would you suggest I carve it into to smaller roasts and freeze or cook as is and freeze? It will all be made into pulled pork with minimal seasoning.

Advice please Andy.

Shrek is no longer eating pork or beef. If I was able to find nicely priced Boston Butt would you suggest I carve it into to smaller roasts and freeze or cook as is and freeze? It will all be made into pulled pork with minimal seasoning.

In the past, I've done a whole Boston butt, pulled it, mixed it with a little BBQ sauce and froze it in 4 ounce packets. Easy to defrost and pop onto a bun for a quick sandwich with some more BBQ sauce. That works nicely if all you want is pulled pork. That's much easier than cooking it each time. You can season it any way you like.

Do you use a slow cooker or roast it in the oven?

There are other websites for that kind of butt.

And you know this how??

Excellent price, we don't usually get sales like that around here even though pork is an Iowa thing. I've done a mix of frozen ham and pork in the crockpot, turned out really good.

Last edited:
Do you use a slow cooker or roast it in the oven?

Thanks!

In the oven, I like the texture better. Usually rub with a little salt, cumin and chili powder, adding onions and garlic so it smells good while cooking.

Stop&Shop markets in my area are having a sale on bone-in pork butts @ $1.99/Lb. That's a very good price for around here...
Big Bunny in Southbridge (my neck of the frontier) had the boneless sirloin roasts for $1.69/lb. Worked just fine for PP in the crock pot; would be too lean in the oven/smoker.

..If I was able to find nicely priced Boston Butt would you suggest I carve it into to smaller roasts and freeze or cook as is and freeze?....
I've frozen finished pulled pork, too, with no problems. In fact, after cooking up the batch Friday I ended up with a total of 2 1-quart bags in the freezer, two full suppers for two already, and enough left for one or two more sandwiches.

:LOL:

That's a good deal, Andy. I'll have to check our grocery store here. I'm always keeping an eye out for a good...roast. :)

If you want something other than pulled pork, use bottled mojo, chicken broth, and water and make a Cuban pot roast. We use potatoes and carrots, occasionally yucca (which can be found in ethnic freezer area if not fresh) instead of the potatoes. Leftovers can be used to make Cuban sandwiches.

Or make a green chili stew with either potatoes or hominy.

I have some pork already cubed and cooked, just have to sear it off and make some green chili. Did that with boneless country ribs the other night when Jalfrezi Curry sounded good. I have one more serving of the curry and enough pork cubes for two servings of green chili.

David Chang's genius Bo Ssam is new of the easiest and most delicious things you can do with a pork butt

Momofuku's Bo Ssam Recipe - NYT Cooking

Haven't tried any others, but I will say that Momofuku's pork belly recipe is the best I've ever had. This one sounds pretty good too, though I think I'd add the pickled cucumber accompaniment for the pork belly buns to this one too. Thanks for posting link!

I also have recipes for Cuban garlic roasted pork, carnitas and a slow roasted pork shoulder that are all good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom