ISO stove top smoked salmon : do I grill it too?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I just got a stove top smoker and am loving it. I am not a fan of salmon, unless it's smoked. The smoker produces a nice, moist fish, but I want a drier texture. Should I throw it on the grill for a few minutes? Also, what type of wood would work best for the smoking?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most fish I do like moist. Salmon, for me, is a different animal (or fish...)

Oh, I understand. You can grill it it will dry it out a bit. Do you get Snoek in your country?
That's also really good smoked and the texture is lovely.

If you have alder wood chips, I'd use those. But, if you want a little more flavor, use oak. I use alder when I smoke fish and vegetables.

One of my favorite things to use smoked salmon for is smoked salmon Caesar salad. it's way beyond delicious. I don't think I'd want dry salmon for this salad, though. Give it a try.

Are you looking for cold or hot smoked salmon? I can't imagine a stove top smoker is going to do cold smoked. If you are used to cold smoked and you end up with hot smoked you may find the moisture content more to what you are looking for.

I like to replace the Canadian bacon in eggs Benedict with cold smoked salmon. YUM.

Okay, Frank, now my head is spinning. I smoked some swai over alder on the stove top with the smoker, and it was very moist and delicious. A texture that I don't want with salmon. I would like a nice, firm texture, almost like ham with the salmon. So if I put it on the grill for a few minutes after smoking it on the stove, would it firm up the previously smoked moist salmon? Sorry, this is new for me!

Last edited:
Honestly I am not sure how it would turn out, but I would suspect adding heat would help reduce the moisture.

What we need is someone that is willing to give it a go and report back. I don't have a stove top smoker... :mrgreen:

Dawg mate I have never done this but in my head it works:ermm: when I make gravadlax as you probably know the salt you cure it in leeches out the moisture, do you see which way I'm going:)

Bolas De Fraile said:
Dawg mate I have never done this but in my head it works:ermm: when I make gravadlax as you probably know the salt you cure it in leeches out the moisture, do you see which way I'm going:)

Yes! A rub/cure of some sort! Great idea, Bolas!

I am not familiar with these types of smokers at all, but why is it that you can't simply "smoke" it longer?

pacanis said:
I am not familiar with these types of smokers at all, but why is it that you can't simply "smoke" it longer?

When I did my swai, I did smoke them longer, but they stayed really moist. The lid has a nice tight fit.

Will try Bolas' and Andy's ideas, if I can find some good salmon. I made gravlax years ago, it turned out good.

Last edited:
Snip 13 said:
Oh, I understand. You can grill it it will dry it out a bit. Do you get Snoek in your country?
That's also really good smoked and the texture is lovely.

We have snook, I think it might be related to salmon. Have never tried it.

Kayelle said:
I'm watching this thread with great interest, DL.:unsure:
I have yet to do salmon in my stovetop smoker, but want to.

Don't forget to report back, ok?;)

C'mon, Kayelle, give it a shot!

Did you have the same results with fish you've smoked, very moist?

We have snook, I think it might be related to salmon. Have never tried it.

Snoek is a scary looking game fish (Thyrsites atun) it in the perch family. Known in Australia and new Zealand as Barracouta (not related to Baracuda)
It's great hot smoked. It's also good lightly smoked or cured and grilled with lemon butter. The texture is drier than salmon.

Snoek is a scary looking game fish (Thyrsites atun) it in the perch family. Known in Australia and new Zealand as Barracouta (not related to Baracuda)
It's great hot smoked. It's also good lightly smoked or cured and grilled with lemon butter. The texture is drier than salmon.

Some of the images for snoek look an awful lot like our freshwater muskellunge, known to eat baby ducks.

Back
Top Bottom