Key to make good BBQ ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm worried whether 3 hours will be too long for 3 lb rib rack? will it get too dry?
What is it Baby back ribs? Or spare ribs?

If it's a spare rib, No it would be perfectly cooked.

If its baby backs, It will be fall off the bone and dry.

Baby backs gets the method of 2,2,1,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm worried whether 3 hours will be too long for 3 lb rib rack? will it get too dry?

That is exactly why I told you you should go by look, not a general guideline which is not only dependant on the type of rack that you have, but the temps you will be running, how often you look, was it room temp when you put it on... all that extra stuff. It's a guideline. You need to tweak things as you go and you will never know what works for YOU until you give it a go. Everybody else's 3-2-1 could be your 2-1/2 - 1 - 1 once you dial it in.

It would be frivolous to say that three hours is too long or not long enough without knowing all the variables, and they change as you go for your particular situation.

There is some truth to the people who say that you should learn to cook and not to just follow a recipe. Especially when it comes to grilling or BBQing. Not so much when making a pizza crust and popping it in the oven.

Just do it! :)
Guaranteed your second effort will be even better though.

When I do foil, which is not often, I don't like foiling ribs over one hour. I think they become way too tender for my taste.

Agreed. I would rather have a white bone picked clean from eating, not lifting the rack out of the foil :LOL:
Not that those ribs don't have their place ;)

RoadFix, I do too man.

But they taught me the very basics of bbq 2 years ago before I went into competitions.

What's a "real bbq rib"? Who decides what is "real" or not? And if it isn't real, then what is it? Sorry, but ya gotta help me here.
RockLobster,

Realbbq is a a chain of bbq restaurants that uses a real smoker and not a grill / boil method normally used by apple-bee's and Chillies.

Ahh! OK. Thanks. Not familiar with those US restaurant chains.
I am going to give the 3-2-1 a go next time.
Also, I would never boil ribs. I guess they do it for convenience. In the restaurants I have worked at we always cooked in about an inch of liquid, on low for a few hours. Then, wrap individually, and pull them as we need them and finish them on the char grill. Some places char a few lines, then sauce and finish in a hot pizza oven. I have seen it done many different ways over the years in my profession.

Last edited:
I think when you wrap up the rib in foil while adding some liquid like apple juice, it'll be similar to boiling - which is actually braising...so maybe there's no point of arguing here :p

I put my rub on the first thing in the morning about 2 hours before I start cooking them to guarantee no hammy tasting ribs.

Night before trim them remove the membrane.

Wrap in plastic wrap, and foil.

Next morning 3 hours before you actually throw the ribs on the cooker, take them out of the fridge. Get to room temp, Rub the ribs 2 hours before.

And as soon as you put the ribs on the smoker Sprinkle rub on the ribs again.

3 hours to smoke on the grill grate 275.f

2 hours in Foil with a 1/4 cup of apple juice, more rub.

1 hour on the grill grate again at 275. Mop with bbq sauce, let the sauce set.

Take them off the grill, Let the rest 15 minutes ( minimum resting time ).

Sprits with apple juice.

Then slice the bad boys so you get 2 bones per rib.

Done.

o.c., i respect your passion for the pig, but after all of that rub and glaze and juice and smoke, can you taste any pork?

i have a pretty popular pulled pork shoulder recipe (multiple 5 star reviews on recipezaar.com) that is cooked in a crock pot, and the key to it is the balance of flavours, none of them overtaking the key ingredient: pork. and it is rubbed and wrapped overnight to start.

crock pot pulled pork shoulder might be blashemous to some, but i've served it to hundreds of people catering my dept's christmas party over the years, and have only had one complaint: that i didn't serve enough healthy vegetable dishes.

the funny part was it was from a person who obviously didn't eat less than her caloric expenditure, if you know what i mean...

but i've printed out that recipe dozens of times for people who couldn't believe it was made using nothing but electricity in my kitchen.

i'm not ragging on you, just sayin' that pork is a many splendored thing, to paraphase an old song.

I think when you wrap up the rib in foil while adding some liquid like apple juice, it'll be similar to boiling - which is actually braising...so maybe there's no point of arguing here :p

You are absolutely correct. Whether you put it in a cast iron dutch oven, or in a covered roasting pan, or in a slow cooker, or wrap in foil and bake, you are cooking low and slow in liquid, even if it's the juice from the meat. And that is braising. The only other method is to smoke low and slow in a moist, smoky environment. That's true barbecue. Barbecue can be done in a pit, like is done in Hawaii in a luau, or over a barbecue pit, on a spit, as was done in many parts of the U.S., or in a barbecue appliance, like you see in major barbecue competitions. When you barbecue, precise heat control is required, as is the amount and type of smoke, and the amount of moisture in the environment around the meat. Timing is important, but more important is the final temperature of the meat, which decides the texture, tenderness, and juiciness of the meat. The mop is used to keep the meat moist, and coat the meat in a flavorful solution that sticks to the outer surface. Rubs are used to enhance the meat flavor, and help tenderize it.

Whatever method you use, the point of grilling, barbecuing, or cooking of any kind is to crate something worth eating, that will be enjoyed by as many people as are partaking of the food. It allows you to become good at something, which makes you feel a little bit good about yourself. It teaches you to appreciate the resources around you, and the people around you. Cooking is part art, part experience, part engineering, part organization, and part science. The more you do it, the better you become.

Use wisdom in all things. Gather info from as many people as you can and try different things. You will learn what works best for your tastes, and your personality. By all means, try to make the best food you can, based on all the info available to you. But never lose the joy of making good food for worrying about doing things perfectly. Put your efforts into making good food, because you want to share your skills with those you love. And then eat, and laugh as you share the meal. Like some have said in other threads, it's not exactly the food they ate, as much as it was who they shared it with.

Make your ribs and make them great. If they aren't perfect the first time, chalk it up to experience and eat them anyway. Have some good pie afterwords.

Outdoor chef, I just might have to try your method. I'm always up for a new way to do something.:D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You have ribs that have been cooking at 275º F wrapped in foil with liquids and put in a 275º F oven for hours. You are without a doubt braising the ribs.

When water based liquids are in a closed environment at this temp, it will reach boiling point - 212º F and turn to steam. There is always room enough in a foil wrapped package.

That said, it's not a bad thing. It's why your ribs are tender!

Whenever I wrap ribs in foil with a little liquid, the liquid will turn to steam and the foil puff out. I am assuming the liquid is bubbling away in there for it to turn to steam, which is evidenced when I open the foil and place the ribs back on the grate.

Well, anyway, I'm doing some babyback ribs this afternoon, smoking them on my Brinkman, throwing in a few apple or cherry wood chuncks for smoke. I'll smoke them at 250°F til they're done, however long that may be. I'll use the toothpick and the bend test to see if they're ready to be pulled off.

These ribs will not be foiled.

I bought a huge rack myself yesterday, road. I'm not sure how I will be cooking them yet. I was thinking of cutting them into individual ribs and throwing them in the crock pot with some liquid smoke :wacko:
:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I was thinking of smoking them. That's as far as I've gotten. I'll probably throw a couple fatties on, too, but the jalapeños looked terrible where I was, so no ABTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom