Labor Day Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh holy cow! Not only do those ribs look awesome, but you’ve got a freakin’ Klose?!?!?! :w00t:

What is that, 20x36 or 20x42? Those are sweet rigs…..too bad they cost more than the car I’m currently driving (95 Honda Civic)! Very impressive Uncle Bob, very impressive indeed!

Are those all spare ribs trimmed to St. Louis style? Or is it a mix of spare and baby back, or just all back ribs?

Last edited:
Oh holy cow! Not only do those ribs look awesome, but you’ve got a freakin’ Klose?!?!?! :w00t:

What is that, 20x36 or 20x42? Those are sweet rigs…..too bad they cost more than the car I’m currently driving (95 Honda Civic)! Very impressive Uncle Bob, very impressive indeed!

Are those all spare ribs trimmed to St. Louis style? Or is it a mix of spare and baby back, or just all back ribs?
OK, time to educate me again. What is St. Louis style?

OK, time to educate me again. What is St. Louis style?

St. Louis style is when you take a full slab of pork spare ribs and cut off the brisket and tip, and usually the flap as well. This gives you a uniform and rather rectangular slab of pork spare ribs.

You basically go from this

you do this

and get this

With St. Louis style, you end up on the end of the slab with more cartilage pieces than bone, so some will cut it down even further to smaller Kansas style that is a smallish almost square slab with just the large bone pieces.

Check this site.

Last edited:

20 X 42.... 4 loin back... 2 St Louis on the right... In one shot on top shelf

20 X 42.... 4 loin back... 2 St Louis on the right... In one shot on top shelf

I thought the two on the top shelf were St Louis and the rest were backs!!

Nice job. You don't have a problem mixing backs with spare ribs? Backs are so tender to start with, I've been afraid to mix 'em (remember my "too soft" fiasco with spare ribs not long ago!)

And a 20x42.......sweet, sweet, sweet! Can I come camp out and sleep next to that rig one night?!?!? :LOL:

keltin said:
You don't have a problem mixing backs with spare ribs

It's not a problem to mix them, If ya don't go by the clock! It's all about the temperature of each slab, and fire control. The two very small loin backs (on the right) came off first. The spares last.

It's not a problem to mix them, If ya don't go by the clock! It's all about the temperature of each slab, and fire control. The two very small loin backs (on the right) came off first. The spares last.

Ahhhhhh……ok. That’s what I was thinking, you’d have to pull the loin ribs first. I've never really checked temp on my ribs, I just go by time and pull back of the meat on the bone. Guess I should get one of those fancy digital remote thermometers. I've always wanted one anyway!

Lord, I’d hate to forget like I did the other night and ruin some loin ribs. Mushy spare ribs make decent sandwiches, but mushy loin ribs make you cry! :ROFLMAO:

Uncle Bob great looking ribs. I bought my smoker at Home Depot for 150 dead presidents 4 years ago and it looks like your and consistently turns out fantastic ribs
pork sholder, I have not tried a brisket yet.. for get the clock just watch your temps.

St. Louis style is when you take a full slab of pork spare ribs and cut off the brisket and tip, and usually the flap as well. This gives you a uniform and rather rectangular slab of pork spare ribs.

You basically go from this

you do this

and get this

With St. Louis style, you end up on the end of the slab with more cartilage pieces than bone, so some will cut it down even further to smaller Kansas style that is a smallish almost square slab with just the large bone pieces.

Check this site.
Thanks, Keltin. I always wondered about this.

Nice lookin' ribs Unca Bob.

I was looking at the 20x36 Klose this spring but went for the egg. All that space looks nice!

Did you use charcoal or wood coals?

Those ribs look amazing. I would love to make ribs like that someday. I honestly think I could eat about 3 of those racks haha. Great job UB.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom