Memorial Day Weekend Coming Up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The two of us will put up our flag first thing in the morning, in observance of our national heroes who have given up their precious lives for our country. It's not about the living.

May God bless them all.

We don't have any specific plans other than to grill some rib eye steaks.

The two of us will put up our flag first thing in the morning, in observance of our national heroes who have given up their precious lives for our country. It's not about the living.

May God bless them all.

Ditto, Kayelle....ditto. Perfectly said.

May God bless them all.

I trust that you will remember to take the flag down at the end of the day. It really chaps my a$$ when I see a faded, tattered flag on a house, that was put up in the name of "patriotism."

I'm sure you wouldn't let that happen, but you will probably see some as you drive around town after Memorial Day.

CD

I trust that you will remember to take the flag down at the end of the day. It really chaps my a$$ when I see a faded, tattered flag on a house, that was put up in the name of "patriotism."

I'm sure you wouldn't let that happen, but you will probably see some as you drive around town after Memorial Day.

CD

Chaps my rear too CD. Ours is always removed at sundown.
img_1512220_0_2f28bc4cbce51cdb7382085803dffc9b.gif

Lots of homeowners and businesses leave their flag up all year 'round. Usually it's those folks who care enough about their flag to replace it when it shows signs of wear.

Granted, I don't see them flying at night, though. Several of my neighbors have flags that they take down every evening and put back up the next morning.

Last edited:
Chaps my rear too CD. Ours is always removed at sundown.
img_1512223_0_2f28bc4cbce51cdb7382085803dffc9b.gif

I'm not a big flag waver. I don't own a flag. No reason for that, I just never bought one. I don't do Christmas lights, either.

But, if someone wants to fly the flag, they should take the time to learn the proper way to do it, and make the (rather easy) effort to do it right.

CD

My next door neighbors (reserve officer; son was special forces in Afghanistan) installed a flag pole so they didn't have to take the flag down ...

I assume that's ok....

But it doesn't seem different than my flag attached to the house.

Last edited:
I made some flag plaques that I painted on old barnboard planks. I hang them on the front door and between our garage doors. They are obviously not "real" flags, just rustic Americana.

My next door neighbors (reserve officer; son was special forces in Afghanistan) installed a flag pole so they didn't have to take the flag down ...

I assume that's ok....

But it doesn't seem different than my flag attached to the house.

Did he say that's why? I just asked DH, who is a Navy vet. He said you can leave it up if it's lit.

Last edited:
My late father in law was a WWII Marine vet, God rest his soul. He installed a flag pole on his property and raised and lowered Old Glory every single morning and afternoon. I asked him once why he didn't light it to be able to fly it at night, and he said he would light it when he was no longer able to do the honor. Maybe it was because he saw the flag go up at Iwo Jima....

Last edited:

May God bless them all...
Amen, Kayelle.

As you guys know, we are not early-birds. More like middle-of-the-day birds. Well, night owls. So...I set the flag up in a holder on our porch so that it doesn't touch the ground and put the porch light on right above it. That way it's lit just before dawn. When I come down at *ahem* whenever, it's light outside and I have forgotten that the porch light is on. No problem, since I notice the light when it starts to get dusky outside...and that reminds me it's time to take the flag in.

Primitive, but it works for us.

God Bless America, and all our service personnel. May those who made the ultimate sacrifice rest in peace.

I would like to put up a flag pole in our front yard, but the only good spot is right in the middle of the leaching mound, and you're not supposed to touch that.

Getting back to this weekend, I thought of my dad tonight. A few years ago, my son told me to call his grandpa to thank him for his service in WWII on Memorial Day. When we called, my dad just laughed and said he wasn't dead yet.

Well, now I can say thanks, Dad.

As for me, I'm doing what my dad taught me to do this weekend: work.

I'm working a double shift Friday, double shift Saturday, 12 hours Sunday, and 12 hours Monday. DW is extremely displeased, but my only saving grace is that it's supposed to rain all weekend.

Anyway, a happy, grateful, and respectful Memorial Day to everyone.

Thanks again, Dad.

Last edited:
With the forecast still iffy for Monday, we decided to go with an indoor meal.

We'll be having chicken parm, garlic bread, Caesar salad for dinner. Dessert will be a chocolate cake with a ganache between the layers and a chocolate whipped cream frosting.

I went to the store, and bought my Ball Park hot dogs, buns, and all the ingredients to make my spicy potato salad. The fridge is full of beer, too. I think I'm ready.

CD

I went to the store, and bought my Ball Park hot dogs, buns, and all the ingredients to make my spicy potato salad. The fridge is full of beer, too. I think I'm ready.

CD

The best pairing for a delicious hot dog I have found, to date... Picking up both today...

Ross

Quiet homely weekend here.

Thursday I went to the farmers market, purchased Memorial Day pots and made my rounds of the cemeteries. Yesterday I made a batch of cabbage salad to scoop up over the weekend. This morning I made a small batch of corn relish/salad and a bowl of bright red Jello. Tonight the plan is to have some Buffalo chicken wings. Tomorrow I will make a small two potato salad and a pair of deviled eggs. The choices for Sunday and Monday will be scoops of salad, deviled eggs, chicken fingers or cheeseburgers, Jello and whipped cream.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend!!!

Yesterday was a busy one. I made up the seasoning for the andoulli, cut 25# of boneless pork butt into 1" cubes, mixed the fresh garlic and seasoning into 5# batches of the pork, put each batch into 2 gallon bags, and put all of it into the fridge for today. I also got the Horizon prepped. This morning I pulled the tasso out to warm up as it will be the first thing on the smoker. I'll be using pecan and hickory for these batches.;)

We are having a smoked chicken stew for a later in the week meal, so I pulled out some chicken thighs to go on later. Of course pics will follow.

Back
Top Bottom