Memorial Day Weekend Coming Up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Will you be firing up the grill or smoker? I'll be doing some andouille, tasso and probably a sausage of choice. We are down to 1 stick of andouille and the tasso is gone.:(

I'm planning to go with the classics, good jumbo hot dogs, and maybe some burgers. I'm working on getting some neighbors together.

I'll probably do a potato salad, too.

CD

The Sunday before Memorial Monday, the VFW always put on a fireworks show at the cemetery across from where I used to live. They've been doing that for about 10 years now. Originally, us residents of the trailer park were the only ones who would be there to see it and we'd sit outside the fence by the side of the road.

No more. Now if anyone did that, the cars would run them over. Cars start lining up on the side of the road to get a parking place an hour before the show starts, so this year I'm going over there at 8:00 (show starts at 9:30) and I'll be bringing my snacks and soda with me. Plus a god book. That's my Memorial Day excitement.

Memorial Day is not my favorite day of the year. I will be staying by myself in my home. I really do not want to be bothered by anyone on that day. Just leave me alone. I won't even be answering the phone. The family knows to leave me alone that day.

We'll probably ask the relatives at the top of the road if they want to come down for a cookout. My SIL is always willing to make dessert when we have them over, and her hubby is happy to talk Himself's ear off while the grilling is going on.

Just the regular foods like hot dogs, potato salad, coleslaw...

I need to start thinking about what a vegan Memorial Day weekend menu could look like!
Serious Eats has been doing more vegan recipes lately, and vegan recipe roundups for holidays. Keep an eye on their site this week; they might publish one for Memorial Day.

Here's a recent one, to give you some ideas. http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/vegan-meat-dairy-substitutes-recipes.html

More, from a few years ago: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/...-salads-breakfasts-sandwiches-appetizers.html

Last edited:
My daughters are coming over on Monday, which also happens to be my older daughter's birthday. Our condo's pool will be opening for the weekend. Our grandson will be excited.

Initial thoughts are a basic cookout. I'll probably add as I go along.

I have made the curing mix for the tasso and will coat the butt slices tonight. They will cure until Sunday. They get turned twice a day.

Serious Eats has been doing more vegan recipes lately, and vegan recipe roundups for holidays. Keep an eye on their site this week; they might publish one for Memorial Day.

Here's a recent one, to give you some ideas. 15 Vegan Substitutes to Impress Your Meat-Loving, Cheese-Crazy Friends | Serious Eats

More, from a few years ago: The Vegan Experience: 60 Great Vegan Recipes | Serious Eats

Ooh! Ditto GG, THANKS!!!
I'm always looking for Vegan recipes to serve Mr&Mrs Dear Friend's!!
MAHALO!

I need to start thinking about what a vegan Memorial Day weekend menu could look like!

Veggie kabobs on the grill. I use yellow bell peppers, onions, whole mushrooms, and sometimes cherry tomatoes. Grilling them makes the veggies very sweet, and the mushrooms take the place of meat.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom