Pastrami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Ok I have one of these > http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-tru-infrared/the-big-easy-smoker-roaster-and-grill-14101550.html

img_1413480_0_4180ef1e59e62ab6639ee01ff898f333.jpg

How do I go about turning a corned beef into pastrami using it?

I'm not familiar with your smoker, but you should be able to set it for 250-275F, using the type of wood product that is recommended. As for the pastrami, are you starting with a plain brisket or one already corned? I'm making my first attempt at pastrami using a packaged corned beef brisket. I will soak it over night, changing the water several times to remove some of the salt. I'll pat it dry then rub it with a 50/50 mixture of fresh toasted, coarsely ground coriander and coarsely ground black pepper. I'll smoke it with pecan wood to an internal temperature of 170F and then steam it to 200F.

In this sometimes mindless city I live in, any place you order a pastrami sandwich, they boil it in water with a heaping helping of mustard. As a result you get a mustard tasting sandwich with some tasteless meat.

So how do you fix your pastrami sandwiches? :angel:

This is a tru infra red gas smoker with a wood chip/ smoker box

I have a packaged corned beef that was on sale.

This is a tru infra red gas smoker with a wood chip/ smoker box

I have a packaged corned beef that was on sale.

Is the brisket whole or just the flat? I've seen methods that coat with mustard and then apply the rub, but I decided to K.I.S.S. on the first attempt and the simple rub sounded good.

I hope your smoker doesn't want you to soak the chips as that is some nasty smoke, very acrid.:(

Is the brisket whole or just the flat? I've seen methods that coat with mustard and then apply the rub, but I decided to K.I.S.S. on the first attempt and the simple rub sounded good.

I hope your smoker doesn't want you to soak the chips as that is some nasty smoke, very acrid.:(

Whole and you put dry chips in the box.

The one I cooked today had a little packet of spices. I didn't care for it on the last one I cooked, so I tossed it and used two tablespoons of McComick Pickling Spice. So much better. I also added about three red pepper flakes to the water. Those are some powerful flakes. I still can feel the heat. :angel:

The one I cooked today had a little packet of spices. I didn't care for it on the last one I cooked, so I tossed it and used two tablespoons of McComick Pickling Spice. So much better. I also added about three red pepper flakes to the water. Those are some powerful flakes. I still can feel the heat. :angel:

??????????? We're past the corned beef stage and on to the pastrami which minimally uses a heavy black pepper rub. Are you one the same page?;)

You used 3 whole flakes? You wild woman.. :LOL:

We measure our crushed red pepper in pinches...

Food with heat really upsets my system. I used to eat Italian sausages with streaks of red pepper flakes in them. I would bake a whole pan of them. No more. Tummy is too sensitive to it. My wild days are gone, I am afraid. :angel:

I just give mine a few shakes until it looks like what I want. I used to give the jar one too many shakes much too often, so I've learned to start slow on most hot stuff. The one I'm learning to use now is ghost pepper salt. That stuff makes red pepper flakes seem pretty tame.

So, lets be real clear.
Do you boil the corned beef prior to turning into pastrami? Or does the uncooked corned beef go into the smoker? I am going to guess you cook it first.
The steps I guess is what I need.

Buy corned beef
cook as usual
turn it into pastrami by smoking it first them steaming it for how long?

So, lets be real clear.
Do you boil the corned beef prior to turning into pastrami? Or does the uncooked corned beef go into the smoker? I am going to guess you cook it first.
The steps I guess is what I need.

Buy corned beef
cook as usual
turn it into pastrami by smoking it first them steaming it for how long?

No, you use the "cured" corned beef, soak and rinse several times, rub and smoke. I'm leaving the rubbed brisket overnight before smoking. Then it gets steamed.

My way is take a package of corned beef flat portion and soak it in fresh water for several days changing the water each day. On the day I cook it I remove from the water and dry it off. slather with yellow mustard and coat all sides with ground coriander seed and crushed peppercorns. I put in the smoker at 250* and cook to an internal temp of 170*. I let it cool and slice on an electric meat slicer deli style. Now I don't have a smoker like the OP's but if it produces heat and smoke, it should be easy enough making pastrami.

img_1414086_0_9e3c7f0b29042324a61e1066edfcf9e6.jpg

img_1414086_1_6a81bad2db113cd090f0a31938dcbe79.jpg

img_1414086_2_8b17b683242bd90d6c34fad4f1c537fa.jpg

I just give mine a few shakes until it looks like what I want. I used to give the jar one too many shakes much too often, so I've learned to start slow on most hot stuff. The one I'm learning to use now is ghost pepper salt. That stuff makes red pepper flakes seem pretty tame.

I put my crushed red pepper flakes in a grinder. That way there isn't any hot spots just a nice sprinkling of heat all over.

I use ground ghost pepper by the PINCH in my chili. That stuff is hot!
I have never seen ghost pepper salt but will look for it because it sounds wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom