Pork roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We smoke pork shoulder/butt in our electric smoker several times a year and it is one of our "house specialty" meals. We do cook to 190 - 200 degrees and we do use wood chips (apple) with apple cider in the pan. We do get a smoke ring. Some people like a stronger smoke flavor but for our tastes the flavor is perfect!

But for smoking it is important NOT to have an actively burning/flame piece of wood giving off the smoke. That smoke is acrid. It needs to be wet wood.

thank you very much to all who replied, I do not have a water pan, lets say I`m going to smoke a pork butt, the thermometer that came with the smoker ( its a mustang smoker ) is the kind you insert into the meat to find internal temp. I`m supposed to put this thru the door to read the temp inside the smoker. Will it be accurate enough to cook with ? at what temp should I smoke at, an bout how long will it take ? I don`t want pulled pork, just one that is juicey an tender, this will be my first evr on any kind of smoker, I`ve never smoked anything before this. Thanks alot for any advise yall may be able to give me........rick

You may not want pulled pork but if you have a shoulder you need to cook it low and slow to make it tender enough to enjoy. Still cook it at 250* for about 6-8 hours. OR if you want, you can smoke it for several hours and finish it in the oven--all at 250*. It will simplify your life. Build your fire a couple of times--and then inside to the oven.

Candocook said:
But for smoking it is important NOT to have an actively burning/flame piece of wood giving off the smoke. That smoke is acrid. It needs to be wet wood.

Incomplete combustion creates cresote and no active flame coupled with wet wood would be a great recipe for Cresote. I don't mean to be contary but your post is 180 degrees from everything I know about fire control.
Jim

jminion said:
Incomplete combustion creates cresote and no active flame coupled with wet wood would be a great recipe for Cresote. I don't mean to be contary but your post is 180 degrees from everything I know about fire control.
Jim

By wet wood, I meant soaked chips for smoking. I knew that was not a good description when I wrote it but was in a Christmas hurry. Your description was what I meant by producing acrid smoke--not pleasant flavor giving smoke.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom