Ribs, where do I start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodweed, dude, you should pay for my laundry bill: I am still drooling all over myself after reading your description of smoking ribs on the grill. Oh but I love to smoke and barbecue, too, but you write about them sooooooooo well.

My main grill is the Weber 22" too, but I also love my cylindrical smoker. With the latter I can have a layer of meat, as well as a lower rack of potatoes and veggies.

Thanks for your post.

I am really hoping this is the year I get my new Weber grill and smoker, it will be the first time I will have an actual smoker. To get prepared, I plan on trying out the methods used on here for the "22 or "18 grill (mine is actually square but I think that might make it even easier for me to do it).
I also plan on doing fish on it, so anybody with tips on smoking fish...

We used to make country ribs this way when I was growing up, when indoors:

Set oven to 250, in large roasting pan arrange country style ribs loosely together on a wire rack. Pour over and completely cover with BBQ sauce ( I use about 4 bottles, dad used a half gallon of Cookies BBQ sauce as they sold it by the gallon. It is a sweeter BBQ sauce, so I to this day tend to pick sweeter BBQ sauces, or just make em myself with lots of molasses and brown sugar LOL.) cover and cook for at least 6 hours before checking.

These days I use the slow cooker, stack em in there as best I can with a nice dry rub then cover with BBQ sauce and let em go on low for 6 to 8 hours. My slow cooker has an 'auto' temp setting that will automatically bring the slow cooker up to temp fast, then let it cool down to low and stay there all day.

The hardest part is getting them back out of the pan or slow cooker as they fall apart easily.

Has anyone done them in a pressure cooker? Picanis? Or did I miss that?

I made these in a pressure cooker last night and then finished them off on the grill. They were fall off the bone tender.

I cooked them in my pressure cooker with 1/2 cup of beef broth, 1 medium onion, 2 ribs of celery, 2 carrots, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke. Brought them up to pressure and cooked them for 45 minutes. Ran the cooker under cold water to bring down the temperature. Coated them in bbq sauce and finished them on the grill.

Attachments

• baby-back-ribs.jpg
    baby-back-ribs.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 110
we have a friend that makes awesome ribs. He uses his home made BBQ sauce that he refuses to reveal (i think he's hiding the secret because it's just from a bottle) and cooks them in a slow cooker until they are 3/4 the way done then tosses them on the grill to finish up....

I made these in a pressure cooker last night and then finished them off on the grill. They were fall off the bone tender.
I cooked them in my pressure cooker with 1/2 cup of beef broth, 1 medium onion, 2 ribs of celery, 2 carrots, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke. Brought them up to pressure and cooked them for 45 minutes. Ran the cooker under cold water to bring down the temperature. Coated them in bbq sauce and finished them on the grill.
Nice description, nice picture (I have to learn how to post a picture of some of my results, too), but how were they flavor wise?:rolleyes:

They tasted great! I think they have a much better flavor than par boiling them or cooking them in a slow cooker. Instead of the flavor being lost in the liquid (they are not actually in the liquid, they are on a rack in the pressure cooker), the flavor from the small amount of liquid is steamed into the meat. Does that make sense?

They tasted great! I think they have a much better flavor than par boiling them or cooking them in a slow cooker. Instead of the flavor being lost in the liquid (they are not actually in the liquid, they are on a rack in the pressure cooker), the flavor from the small amount of liquid is steamed into the meat. Does that make sense?

It will make perfect sense once DW gets me that pressure cooker for Fathers Day!:LOL:

They look great, and I bet they disappeared mighty quickly! I can't wait to start doing some of this stuff in a pressure cooker myself.

Your gonna love it! I used to cook roasts in a slow cooker but now I cook them in my pressure cooker because I think they have more flavor.

Yes, it makes sense, of course. But I have always limited my use of pressure cookers to such things as artichokes and corn on the cob. I am actually looking forward to cooking more kinds of meals in a pressure cooker. It certainly speeds up cooking time in the hot oven without giving out much heat itself.

Thanks for getting me to get my head around this change.

Looking forward to trying that rib recipe!:-p

Back
Top Bottom