Smoke/Roast Kielbasa with Garden Produce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savannahsmoker

Senior Cook
Fresh from the Garden
img_1145287_0_2048d1ba4c8ec5a4b256cb0533621c0d.jpg

img_1145287_1_a3137091014b34d0eb096010fcbe209e.jpg

Preparing corn harvested yesterday:
Brined overnight
img_1145287_2_d9df4f9cda4e4f338937fd2aabc5f2d8.jpg

Pulled back the husks, buttered and seasoned
img_1145287_3_79f6750a38a0320a0170d90f878e9050.jpg

Tied up with butcher string
img_1145287_4_3a33c5b94a476398e612248974f107ff.jpg

In the smoker at 215 degrees
img_1145287_5_47acee961ceebf60f14aec63262e1c11.jpg

That looks so good. Makes my chicken gravy and veggies over mash look sad...comfort food day, Shrek doesn't feel good.

Well when someone does not feel that comfort food is a must.
Wish I had chicken gravy and veggies over mash:yum:, what to trade.

Oh, yeah, served on the nice Panini bread, yum. Thanks for the picks.
Why do you tight the corn though?

Oh, yeah, served on the nice Panini bread, yum. Thanks for the picks.
Why do you tight the corn though?

We soak the corn in a salt and sugar brine overnight, pull the husks back to butter and season the corn and then tie the husks to protect the corn on the grill or in the smoker.

Thank you:) and no the beans are Asparagus Beans they have a hint of of asparagus, mushrooms, and beans flavor with some sweetness.

I had to look that up, since I'm not familiar with them, and guess what? Asparagus bean is another name for Chinese long beans! :)

From Wikipedia: "Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedalis is a legume cultivated to be eaten as green pods. It is known as the yardlong bean, bora, long-podded cowpea, asparagus bean, snake bean, or Chinese long bean."

I'd love to grow these. Have you grown them before? Do you think they would do well over the summer, if I could find seeds and plant them now? The Wikipedia page says they thrive in hot weather. Thanks!

We soak the corn in a salt and sugar brine overnight, pull the husks back to butter and season the corn and then tie the husks to protect the corn on the grill or in the smoker.

Thank you, I understand that, I do something similar, but why do you have to tie the husk on to the corn? Wouldn't simply putting back in its place work? I guess I am trying to understand if there is a noticeable advantage of doing the wrapping with the string versus, what I do simply putting husk back?

Thank you, I understand that, I do something similar, but why do you have to tie the husk on to the corn? Wouldn't simply putting back in its place work? I guess I am trying to understand if there is a noticeable advantage of doing the wrapping with the string versus, what I do simply putting husk back?
My question to you would be if you are satisfied with simply putting husk back then why ask even ask me. Also I am happy this works fine for you.

To me there is a advantage but to you maybe not. I have had the husks pull away from the corn as the husks dry resulting in burnt corn which created a corn shortage at meal time.:( This has never happen since we started tiring the husks.:)

Last edited:
Aha, but that is why I am asking, maybe I am missing something, maybe your way is better. Maybe you are a profecioanal, and I am simply runn home and make something to eat kind of guy. If I do not ask questions how else am I going to learn.

Yes, it's pretty hot here during the summer, too :) I was wondering whether, if I planted seeds now, they would do well in the heat, or whether they needed to be planted earlier.

I say go for it. Our garden produces all summer up into November. I do have an automatic water system that waters the garden 5 times a day and I am sure that makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom