Smoked Pork Butt pictures!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Ok, here's my offset smoking setup:

smokedpork13rv.jpg

Heat source and foil-wrapped, soaked, Hickory chips on the right-hand side (right next to the air intake). I took off two of the cast iron grates so that I could feed the fire easily. On the left-hand side, you'll see the two remaining grates, the pork butt, with a drip pan underneath. You'll also notice the exhaust will be over the pork when the lid is shut.

Here's the finished product:

smokedpork23am.jpg

And it smells heavenly! The smoke ring isn't as big as I'd like. That's mainly because I only smoked it for 4 hours, then wrapped it in plastic, then in foil, and put the pork in a 250°F for 3 hours. I do this mainly as a compromise between several things, mainly that PeppA and her family can't handle a heavy smoke flavor, and I have other things to do besides tend a fire all day (like take the kids to a lake).

It doesn't really show up in the picture, but I managed to get about a pint of really dark liquid that came out of the plastic when I opened it. This is a smoky, dark, pork gelatin, that rendered out as the connective tissues broke down. I've saved this. I want to make a Posole with the smoked pork, and I may use a little bit of the gelatin. If I don't use the gelatin in the soup, I'll just freeze it for later use :chef:

Looks so good! I hope mine will eventually look like yours. 7 hours was enough to make it pullable? I really hope that mine will have the same coloring as your eventually!!

htc said:
Looks so good! I hope mine will eventually look like yours. 7 hours was enough to make it pullable? I really hope that mine will have the same coloring as your eventually!!

I probably should have let it go another hour. The bone pulled out, but it had just a little bit of resistance, plus I saw some connective tissue that hadn't completely broken down. There were a few muscles that didn't want to pull apart as easily as the rest, but for the most part, it was pullable.

The hard part about running the pork for so long, is keeping PeppA out of it! Same thing with my ice cream :ROFLMAO:

PeppA is my other half. She's made a few posts on this board. Her nick is an abbriviated combination of my old internet handle, and her's.

I would have to agree with Elf, sounds like PeppA is a very major ingredient!! Your dishes probably wouldn't turn out right w/o a little (or a lot) PeppA :)

Indirect heat with side firebox

Looks like you and I have the same grill. I picked mine up at Lowe's last year and this spring I finally got around to putting on the side firebox (it's about 40 bucks extra).

Anyway, I wish I'd done that a year ago. You can load up the whole grill with butts, sausage, ribs, etc. and still get that great indirect heat and smoke. Wonderful stuff.

that looks awesome... one question though... when I buy the pork what do I ask for ? Do I really ask for a pork butt ? or is there a term for it that it more common ?

Okay who snitched the Boston Butt? Somebody must have thought it looked so good they ate it!!! I can't see a thing.

Did you check the first page? If it's not there I think Winglover took it to the grocery store so she'd get the right thing. :mrgreen: (I still see it)

Took a while for the picture to load for some reason. My new computer should be better and faster at loading pictures. :(

so, what exactly is a smoke ring? Is that the depth that the smokiness penetrates the meat before you start hitting the unsmoked portion?

Smoke rings are produced by a chemical reaction between the meat and the penetration of the smoke. You will see a smoke ring on meat barbecued over a wood fire. It is a pink color that extends from the outside surface into the meat. It's thickness is dependent on several factors, such as the type of smoke and the duration of smoking. See the following section about chicken for a better understanding of the chemical reactions involved.

smoke has a reaction with the chemicals in the bone and meat. The meat turns a pink color even though it is thoroughly cooked. Ash is loaded with potassium and sodium nitrates. This reacts with oxymethyglobin to form nitrosaminoglobulins and gives us the pink color of hams, lunch meats, hot dogs, and smoke rings.

Back
Top Bottom