St Patty's Day "dinner"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Better late than never. I never really paid attention to only eating certain foods on certain holidays anyway, but if it wasn't for the recent Irish holiday I'm not sure I could have found a corned beef here. And I'm attempting to turn it into an edible pastrami. Shown along with a cabbage (of course) and a chub of bologna just because.
I'm hoping it is done soon enough to get it sliced up on my friend's meat slicer today, pick up some sauerkraut and some rye bread... pastrami reubens tonight! :)

Before I closed up the WSM. With a generous amount of maple wood for smoke. Rubbed with black pepper, corriander and garlic powder, 3:1:1.
The cabbage was cored and then the cavity filled with butter and bacon.
The bologna slathered with mustard and rubbed with my usual rub. Just on the outside ring, because I'm going to slice it up, too, since I'll have the meat grinder. Usually I just cube it and eat with crackers.

Attachments

• smoke 1.jpg
    smoke 1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 212
Thanks GF :) Here's a couple more.
I'm resting the brisket right now. Hopefully I'll be slicing it by 9:00 :chef:

Attachments

• smoke 2.jpg
    smoke 2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 214
  • smoked cabbage.jpg
    smoked cabbage.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 213
Thanks Andy. I hope the pastrami turns out. I've only eaten pastrami once, so am really looking forward to it.

And my Thanksgiving dinner is usually a few days after that holiday, too. Thanksgiving is one of my busiest work days. No time for semi-fancy dinners that I need to think about. I like to KISS on big holidays ;) I would have cooked this a couple days ago if it wasn't for the high winds. They play havoc with maintaining constant temps.

Thanks Andy. I hope the pastrami turns out. I've only eaten pastrami once, so am really looking forward to it.

And my Thanksgiving dinner is usually a few days after that holiday, too. Thanksgiving is one of my busiest work days. No time for semi-fancy dinners that I need to think about. I like to KISS on big holidays ;) I would have cooked this a couple days ago if it wasn't for the high winds. They play havoc with maintaining constant temps.

Just bought two bags of Kingsford Competition Charcoal (on sale at Costco). I want to do some smoking with my Weber this summer.

Competition? I think I just buy the regular, I'd have to look at the bag. I got the last big bag the town's hardware store had :ermm: They must have had a big run on it when the temp hit fifty a few days ago :wacko:

Do you have a Weber grill? What do they call it, the kettle? Or do you have a smoker? I know you can smoke on their grill and they make a smoke diverter, too, to help out with the indirect heat and getting the smoke over by the food.

...Do you have a Weber grill? What do they call it, the kettle? Or do you have a smoker? I know you can smoke on their grill and they make a smoke diverter, too, to help out with the indirect heat and getting the smoke over by the food.

I have a 22" Weber kettle. I also have detailed instructions on how to smoke in a Weber from a former regular on this site.

The Competition Briquettes are all natural and burn with a real wood smell. They also burn hotter and faster. I got 36 pounds for roughly $15.00. After checking the prices online, I may go back and get another two bags.

I've been kicking around getting a Weber charcoal grill, but if the mood strikes me to use charcoal for grilling, which is only half a dozen times a year, I use the bottom of my WSM, or the chimney (for tuna). I do like playing with charcoal though. It adds another element to grilling.

I had been cooking on a gas grill for decades and SO got me a Weber for Father's Day last year. I've been playing around with it a little but nothing serious yet.

Do you still have your Ducane?
I use mine so much I burned through the flavor bars (or whatever they're called) last year. I gave my friend a piece of 20ga SS and he made me enough at his work for my next Ducane, lol, plus his.

Do you still have your Ducane?
I use mine so much I burned through the flavor bars (or whatever they're called) last year. I gave my friend a piece of 20ga SS and he made me enough at his work for my next Ducane, lol, plus his.

Yes, I do. That's the workhorse. I use it all winter. Ran out of gas two weeks ago and the spare bottle was locked in a death grip of ice and snow. It finally broke free a couple of days ago.

I get a refill about every three weeks. I'd hate to see the charcoal I'd be burning through in that time. I'm lucky enough to keep my spare on a porch, otherwise I'd be out there with an air hammer breaking that sucker free :LOL:

Pastrami heaven :chef:
I'm glad I soaked the corned beef. It was still a touch salty (and peppery from the rub), but I'm sure that will tame down with the other making of a sandwich. Once I can stop eating it long enough to actually make a sandwich :angel:

Attachments

• pastrami.jpg
    pastrami.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 251

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom